Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

SqueezePlug for Odroid U3 released

Hi Folks,
    I'm happy to announce the first Odroid U3 image for SqueezePlug.
    This image is based on a xubuntu-13.10-Hard-Float based Version. The image will fit on a minimum 8 GB SD card or eMMC card coming with Odroid.

Login to SqueezePlug as always with user "root" and password "nosoup4u". After login start the configuration with "setup". First thing you should do after the initial setups is to expand the Root Filesystem from the Basic Configuration Menu. Choose <Expand_RootFS> from here.

The graphic desktop is disabled by default, if you like to enable it, choose <Odroid-Config> from the Basic Configuration Menu and choose option <4>. After a restart, the graphical desktop will be started if you are connection directly with an attached HDMI monitor. You can switch between the graphic desktop and a terminal by pressing <strg> <alt> <F1> together. with <strg> <alt> <F7> you will reach the graphic desktop again. If you like to configure your network settings, do it from Xcfe, the graphic desktop. There is a confortable network-manager included, you can even configure your WLAN settings from here.

You will be impressed about the performance of SqueezePlug for Odriod, even if you use eMMC. I think it's a great alternative to Raspberry Pi for Server, I like Raspberry Pi more as a player, because the multiple options for I2C soundcards.

This is the first version of SqueezePlug for Odroid, so don't blame me if something goes wrong. Please inform me and I'll find a solution. Some functions you know and love from SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi are not included jet, maybe i'll implement them in future.

You will find the image on my download section of www.squeezeplug.de

Have fun,
    Thomas

P.S.: I think the image will also work on Odroid U2 but I can't test it.
    SqueezePlug & MAX2Play,
    2 x Squeezebox Duet,
    1 x Squeezebox Touch,
    1 x Onkyo TX-8050 DLNA ready receiver
    iPeng,

My Blog: Blog
    My Downloads: Downloads

Feel free to donate my SqueezePlug project: Donate, thanks a lot!

Hi,
    I saw 70 downloads the first day the image is released! That's a lot I think! Can anyone who downloaded the image tell me if and how it works for you?

Thanks,
    Thomas
    SqueezePlug & MAX2Play,
    2 x Squeezebox Duet,
    1 x Squeezebox Touch,
    iPeng,

I have the opportunity to test it in a few days. I've been waiting for the Squeezeplug Odroid image ever since I bought a Odroid U3 some time ago. So it's great that it's now available.

Hi Thomas,

I downloaded and installed your image on my Odroid U3 which I got few weeks ago directly from Korea, with 16 GB eMMC module ... so far everything worked as expected, no issues during installation Excellent job!!

Before I was using the original Sheevaplug with your Squeezeplug image - the LMS performance now on the Odroid is really impressive, especially in the Web interface, but also on a Squeezbox Touch - that is how it should be ...

I used my old Sheevaplug also as a "poor man's" NAS (Samba server) ... interestingly I found that the Samba performance of the "good old" Sheevaplug was better than the U3 (about 25% faster in average I would say, with same 2.5" USB harddrive, and 100 Mbps LAN of course). So I would be curious what other user's experiences are ... (just to be clear - it is not an issue of the Squeezeplug image ... the original Odroid and another plain Debian image delivered similar Samba performance).

Thanks a lot for your great work!

Andreas.

I used my old Sheevaplug also as a "poor man's" NAS (Samba server) ... interestingly I found that the Samba performance of the "good old" Sheevaplug was better than the U3 (about 25% faster in average I would say, with same 2.5" USB harddrive, and 100 Mbps LAN of course). So I would be curious what other user's experiences are ... (just to be clear - it is not an issue of the Squeezeplug image ... the original Odroid and another plain Debian image delivered similar Samba performance).

Thanks a lot for your great work!

Andreas.
    Hi Andreas

What is your performence in MB/s on Odroid U3 and SheevaPlug?

Hi,
    now I need your help! I got my second Odroid today and installed my image. I can't get a network connection with the new Odroid! I thought it has something to do with udev rules, but it seem not so! What did you do to get a network connection? I think my image can't really work?!

Thomas
    SqueezePlug & MAX2Play,
    2 x Squeezebox Duet,
    1 x Squeezebox Touch,
    iPeng,

Quote Originally Posted by truehl View Post
    Hi,
    now I need your help! I got my second Odroid today and installed my image. I can't get a network connection with the new Odroid! I thought it has something to do with udev rules, but it seem not so! What did you do to get a network connection? I think my image can't really work?!

Thomas
    O.k., I found the solution! Odroid gets it's MAC address from a file /etc/smsc_95xx_addr . If you have 2 Odroids in one net, the get the same MAC. So a simple change of the file helps!

Thomas
    SqueezePlug & MAX2Play,
    2 x Squeezebox Duet,
    1 x Squeezebox Touch,
    iPeng,

Quote Originally Posted by blaster25dk View Post
    Hi Andreas

What is your performence in MB/s on Odroid U3 and SheevaPlug?
    Hi,

Here an overview of my performance tests:

• all tests with same Toshiba 2.5" USB drive, Filesystem ext3, Journal enabled
    • tests repeated 3 times (saw only little fluctuations, and report here the median value)
    • for testing I used "robocopy". Tested in both directions upload/download with
      1. single large file (~2 GB),
      2. small files (~55 MB, ~11000 files, ~1000 directories, average file size ~2 KB).

MB/s (%) Upload Large Download Large Upload Small Download Small
    Sheevaplug (=100%) 9.88 (100%) 11.26 (100%) 0.099 (100%) 0.223 (100%)
    U3 Ubuntu 9.66 (98%) 7.56 (67%) 0.068 (69%) 0.149 (67%)
    U3 Debian 8.90 (90%) 7.63 (68%) 0.062 (63%) 0.244 (109%)
    U3 Squeezeplug 10.02 (101%) 7.49 (66%) 0.088 (89%) 0.156 (70%)
    "U3 Ubuntu" is the Image as shipped by Hardkernel. "U3 Debian" is with a bare minimum Debian image for U3 from manidhillon.com, and Sheevaplug/U3 Squeezeplug with Thomas's images. Interestingly in some cases large file uploads (write to disk) can be faster than downloads (read). And also under circumstances the U3 can be at par or better than the old Sheevaplug Hardware, but it is not consistent. I also thought that for small files the U3 should be faster because of the much higher CPU horsepower. I think I will play a little bit with Samba and file system tuning next days ...

Cheers,
    Andreas.

Does this package support resampling for playing hires music on non highres devices as squeezebox radio?

Outstanding!
    I was running squeezeplug on an RPI but just got my oidroid u3 today and it is currently scanning all the music on my 2TB usb hard drive.
    Setup was a breeze.
    40k items is taking about 30 minutes to scan, a heck of a lot faster than the rpi.

I plan to use this, as I did the RPI, in my car. With the RPI, I had a wifi usb set up as a client connecting to a portable wifi hot spot in the car.
    I then controlled the music with another wifi connection from my cellphone.

What would be awesome would be a wifi server option on the odroid, so i would no longer need the separate wifi hot spot/server.
    The package (odoid+usb hd+wifi stick) would go in my glovebox and i could control it all via my cellphone.

So, here is my request for a wifi server installation option.
    Although I donated for the RPI squeezeplug, I was very happy to donate a 2nd time for the great work on the odroid version.
    Absolutely awesome!!