Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 58 of 58
  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Denmark (Struer)
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by DejanM View Post
    Thanks a lot ofr your reply. I am a kind of user that would like to install LMS and then to foget it. Often installations of nightly builds is not something that I would like to do. That is the reason why I am asking, because I would like to avoid spending a lot of time with some bugs. It seems to me that 7.8.1 is the way to go ... thanks once again.
    FYI most of the new features are implemented as plugins and can be disabled.
    Main: Receiver (Audiocom) -> Beresford Caiman+ (Gatorized) -> Carver A-500x -> B&W 704
    Office: Receiver -> Luxman L-210 -> Stax SR84 Pro
    -> Beresford Bushmaster -> Superlux HD668B
    Server: A8-5500, 4 GB, SSD+ 2*1 TB, Win8 w. SBS 7.9.0 (SQLite w. High Mem)
    Tied together by D-Link DIR-655 + DGS-1008D

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    >
    I'm not very familiar with the debian repos, tbh. But stable is 7.7 (and
    will be, because it's the official release). The others I don't know...
    I guess they're 7.8. There's no other way than git/svn to get 7.9
    currently. There will be nightly builds to download, but I can't say for
    the deb/yum repositories, I'm sorry.
    I checked the debian repo and it currently holds the following versions:
    Stable: 7.7.3
    Testing: 7.7.5
    Unstable: 7.8.1

    Does this mean that:
    - stable holds the last supported stable version by Logitech
    - testing holds the latest unofficial stable release (currently the 7.7.x branch)
    - unstable holds the latest unofficial testing release (currently the 7.8.x branch)

    Is this correct? If you confirm that this is correct I will try to update the (heavily outdated) wiki page about Debian packages.

  3. #53
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Everett, Wa
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by lauret View Post
    I checked the debian repo and it currently holds the following versions:
    Stable: 7.7.3
    Testing: 7.7.5
    Unstable: 7.8.1

    Does this mean that:
    - stable holds the last supported stable version by Logitech
    - testing holds the latest unofficial stable release (currently the 7.7.x branch)
    - unstable holds the latest unofficial testing release (currently the 7.8.x branch)

    Is this correct? If you confirm that this is correct I will try to update the (heavily outdated) wiki page about Debian packages.

    No, this is not correct. A stable repo can contain much more than just the main folder and should in this case. All three versions, 7.7.3, 7.7.5 and 7.8.0 should be under stable with 7.7.3 being in the main folder, 7.7.4 and later as well as 7.8.0 should be under a folder in stable called contrib so one can opt out by simply not having the word contrib in their source list for stable.

    At this time any 7.9 packages should be under Unstable when they exist in it's main folder. Testing is for stuff that is at the release candidate level and all of it should be in the main folder of testing. 7.8.1 should be in testing main at this time.

    If done properly with 7.7.5 and 7.8.0 being under stable in the contrib folder the list would look like this:

    ###### SqueezeBox
    deb http://debian.slimdevices.com stable main contrib
    #deb http://debian.slimdevices.com testing main
    #deb http://debian.slimdevices.com unstable main

    stable main should have the official 7.7 packages, stable contrib should have the 7.7.4 and later as well as stable 7.8 packages.
    I commented out the testing and unstable as I would not want them in a day to day installation but present anyway in case one is adventurous. I should not need them as 7.7.x and 7.8.0 should not be in them.

    If one wanted to stick with the official 7.7 branch they would only need:
    deb http://debian.slimdevices.com stable main

    Whereas someone who wanted the unofficial but stable 7.8.0 could have:
    deb http://debian.slimdevices.com stable contrib

    Or more properly:
    deb http://debian.slimdevices.com stable main contrib

    It would also be nice to have a trusted gpg key one can import so webmin doesn't refuse if updating packages that way.
    Last edited by Davesworld; 2014-12-02 at 18:55.

  4. #54
    This sounds sane at least for the debian people and gives that clear separation between the official and community releases with the user having to opt into the community edition
    which would probably be what Michael was looking for?

    Though I note this morning there is no way to get at 7.7.5 from the debian repos as the testing repo now contains 7.7.6! so I aborted my upgrade plans! as 7.7.5
    was it was know longer in the package pool for manual installation either. oldstable? containing the previous stable release?

    Phill.

    Quote Originally Posted by Davesworld View Post
    No, this is not correct. A stable repo can contain much more than just the main folder and should in this case. All three versions, 7.7.3, 7.7.5 and 7.8.0 should be under stable with 7.7.3 being in the main folder, 7.7.4 and later as well as 7.8.0 should be under a folder in stable called contrib so one can opt out by simply not having the word contrib in their source list for stable.

    At this time any 7.9 packages should be under Unstable when they exist in it's main folder. Testing is for stuff that is at the release candidate level and all of it should be in the main folder of testing. 7.8.1 should be in testing main at this time.

    If done properly with 7.7.5 and 7.8.0 being under stable in the contrib folder the list would look like this:

    ###### SqueezeBox
    deb http://debian.slimdevices.com stable main contrib
    #deb http://debian.slimdevices.com testing main
    #deb http://debian.slimdevices.com unstable main

    stable main should have the official 7.7 packages, stable contrib should have the 7.7.4 and later as well as stable 7.8 packages.
    I commented out the testing and unstable as I would not want them in a day to day installation but present anyway in case one is adventurous. I should not need them as 7.7.x and 7.8.0 should not be in them.

    If one wanted to stick with the official 7.7 branch they would only need:
    deb http://debian.slimdevices.com stable main

    Whereas someone who wanted the unofficial but stable 7.8.0 could have:
    deb http://debian.slimdevices.com stable contrib

    Or more properly:
    deb http://debian.slimdevices.com stable main contrib

    It would also be nice to have a trusted gpg key one can import so webmin doesn't refuse if updating packages that way.
    Last edited by pssc; 2014-12-04 at 05:03.

  5. #55
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Everett, Wa
    Posts
    11
    It shouldn't be that way where you only have a choice in Debian using apt to get either 7.7.3 or nightly builds only. Who maintains the Debian repo? I mistakenly installed 7.8.1 because I thought it really was an upgrade for 7.8.0 when clearly it is a nightly build that changes daily. Anything that is in http://downloads.slimdevices.com/ under LogitechMediaServer versioned folders should be in stable with 7.7.4, 7.7.5 and 7.8.0 being in a contrib folder under stable. 7.7.0 through 7.7.3 should be in stable main.

    To get your stable version of 7.7.5 I'm afraid that the Debian repo will not work as it is. In fact as set up now you cannot get 7.7.4, or 5 nor can you get the stable version of 7.8.0 from the Debian repos.
    Last edited by Davesworld; 2014-12-04 at 20:56.

  6. #56
    formerly known as Fletch
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,233
    There was some discussion about this a few months ago. Michael was looking for feedback from Debian experts on exactly how to properly set up the repos in a Debian-like way for the various build he has. I believe he was also looking for a volunteer to take over managing and/or building the repos.

  7. #57
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Everett, Wa
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Miksis View Post
    There was some discussion about this a few months ago. Michael was looking for feedback from Debian experts on exactly how to properly set up the repos in a Debian-like way for the various build he has. I believe he was also looking for a volunteer to take over managing and/or building the repos.
    I think I joined these forums four years later than I should have. I'll see if there is any way I can help.

  8. #58

    Where have I been

    It's a bit embarrassing to find out this thread is from 2014.... I came here because I had serious troubles rescanning my library with LMS 7.7x. Found out there's a 7.9 version that hase some serious advantages, main thing for me being that I'm able to select files and play them while doing a rescan....
    My scans still are interrupted unexpectedly, and I still can't find out why, but the 'changed media' scan performs a lot better than before, so I hope I can scan my files up to the end one day.

    Thanks for keeping this thing up, I am not ready and willing to give up my SB Touch, yet!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •