Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

"Official" Raspberry Pi Audio Card Announced

We have had that for a while

There are already a bunch of people out there running the PiCorePlayer on their Raspberry Pi; this way it integrates directly as a Squeezeplayer.

Most use it via an USB-DAC, some via HDMI out, but several are using the Hifiberry DAC or Digi boards

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...th-Squeezelite

https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

http://www.hifiberry.com/

The Wolfson Audio Card gives some other options.
    Main: Receiver (Audiocom) -> Beresford Caiman+ (Gatorized) -> Carver A-500x -> B&W 704
    Office: Receiver -> Luxman L-210 -> Stax SR84 Pro
    -> Beresford Bushmaster -> Superlux HD668B
    Server: A8-5500, 4 GB, SSD+ 2*1 TB, Win8 w. SBS 7.9.0 (SQLite w. High Mem)
    Tied together by D-Link DIR-655 + DGS-1008D

Quote Originally Posted by slate View Post
    We have had that for a while

There are already a bunch of people out there running the PiCorePlayer on their Raspberry Pi; this way it integrates directly as a Squeezeplayer.

Most use it via an USB-DAC, some via HDMI out, but several are using the Hifiberry DAC or Digi boards

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...th-Squeezelite

https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

http://www.hifiberry.com/

The Wolfson Audio Card gives some other options.
    The card also records either SPDIF or analogue at up to 192/24. It has a headphone out, and two low power class D amplifiers.

All in all very complete. It sounds very good too for ú28.

Dave
    Last edited by DaveWr; 2014-03-13 at 11:31. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWr View Post
    The card also records either SPDIF or analogue at up to 192/24. It has a headphone out, and two low power class D amplifiers.

All in all very complete. It sounds very good too for ú28.

Dave
    Hi Dave,

Specs for the Wolfson seem impressive in terms of all the flexibility it offers, with S/PDIF in and out, DAC, ADC, microphones etc at this price point. Did you listen do this card? Or are you saying the price level "sounds" very good? If you listened, could you do a mini review here?

Thanks.

I received my card yesterday and installed it on a RPi B. Using the Wolfson card specific image I configured the card to output via SPDIF using the supplied scripts. Installed and configured Squeezelite as a daemon using Gerrelt NL's instructions. Works perfectly as far as I can tell, have tested up to 192/24 FLACs over wifi with no issues.

Also syncs up fine with my other RPi with Crazy Audio's HiFiBerry Digi. Both cards seem to work perfectly as Squeezelite players. The Wolfson has a lot more possibilities, needs no soldering, but has no optical out.

I could never get my RPi to work glitch free with my XMOS based USB to SPDIF converter, so I'm very happy with both cards. The USB will used with my EDO Touch.

If anyone's thinking of getting this card it's a thumbs up from me.

Quote Originally Posted by badboygolf16v View Post
    I received my card yesterday and installed it on a RPi B. Using the Wolfson card specific image I configured the card to output via SPDIF using the supplied scripts. Installed and configured Squeezelite as a daemon using Gerrelt NL's instructions. Works perfectly as far as I can tell, have tested up to 192/24 FLACs over wifi with no issues.

Also syncs up fine with my other RPi with Crazy Audio's HiFiBerry Digi. Both cards seem to work perfectly as Squeezelite players. The Wolfson has a lot more possibilities, needs no soldering, but has no optical out.

I could never get my RPi to work glitch free with my XMOS based USB to SPDIF converter, so I'm very happy with both cards. The USB will used with my EDO Touch.

If anyone's thinking of getting this card it's a thumbs up from me.
    Did you got the Wolfson card work on the standard Raspbian image or on the special Wolfson image?

Thomas
    SqueezePlug & MAX2Play,
    2 x Squeezebox Duet,
    1 x Squeezebox Touch,
    1 x Onkyo TX-8050 DLNA ready receiver
    iPeng,

My Blog: Blog
    My Downloads: Downloads

Feel free to donate my SqueezePlug project: Donate, thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by truehl View Post
    Did you got the Wolfson card work on the standard Raspbian image or on the special Wolfson image?

Thomas
    Hi Thomas

I used the special image. It has some scripts to setup the audio as desired. I don't know how ALSA works so this means nothing to me! For example script SPDIF_playback.sh sets the card to output to SPDIF.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

#Playback to SPDIF Out

#SPDIF Playback:

amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='SPDIF out Switch' on
    amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='TX Playback Switch' on
    amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='Input Source' AIF
    amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='AIF Playback Switch' on
    amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='AIF2TX1 Input 1' AIF1RX1
    amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='AIF2TX1 Input 1 Volume' 32
    amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='AIF2TX2 Input 1' AIF1RX2
    amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='AIF2TX2 Input 1 Volume' 32

# The following command can be used to test
    # aplay -Dhw:0 -r 44100 -c 2 -f S32_LE <file>

The "interesting" part seems in the kernel driver patches that are available @ element14, but need to do some compilation / cross compilation work

(I also use the wolfson image waiting for these patches to be available in raspbian ... however, mine arrived with a flawed pin on the P5 connector which seems to cause trouble in sound quality - waiting for E14 advice for replacement)
    HP Microserver/DebianStable > [SBR > tweaked TA10.1 > Cabasse Farella | 2xSBB | SB3 > CustomClassD]

Quote Originally Posted by truehl View Post

Thomas
    I ordered from the Wolfson Audio Card from Farnell on 16th March @ 23.12 and it was delivered on the 18th. Attaching the card to the Pi was very easy, keeping being careful in mind given how easy it would be to bend a pin.

I used the Wolfson image to install and also followed Gerrelt's tutorial http://www.gerrelt.nl/RaspberryPi/wo...r-on-raspbian/ (thanks badboygolf for pointing it out:-)) to install Squeezelite. So far I've used to the headphone output of the Wolfson to listen to radio and local music from my Wandboard, and it's working fine.

Nice Job Farnell/Element 14.
    Squeezebox Classic:2; Duet: 1; Boom:1; Touch:1; Wandboard Quad; Squeezelite.
    Server: Wandboard Quad with SoA; Raspberry Pi/Wolfson Card with Squeezeplug 7.06; (backup:Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Sheevaplug with Squeezeplug); iPeng, iPeng for Ipad, Orange Squeeze, Squeezepad, LMS Version: Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.0