Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LMS transcoding Flac -> mp3 looses tags

Hi

I use the Squeeze Commander on my Android Smart Phone and set the download option to transcoding flac to mp3 by LMS.
    Unfortunately the major tags (Artist, Album, etc.) get lost. Other transcoding software has no problem transferring the tag information to mp3.
    LMS is using Lame - right?

Any idea how to solve this problem?

Cheers wgk
    ASUS P6-P5G41E W10 x64 | ASUS ZENBOOK W10 x64 | SheevaPlug Debian Wheezy | pi0 Debian Squeeze| LMS 7.9.1 - 1516197805 | 9 SB Radios | 2 SB Receivers | iPeng 9 | Squeeze Player 1.3.12 & Squeeze Ctrl 1.9.6

Are you actually downloading files to the Android phone, or are you playing them?

I doubt that this is ever an issue within the Squeezebox environment, as any time you play something the metadata comes out of the database, from when the original file was scanned, not within data stream. So when something is transcoded from one format to another, there's no need to also transfer the tagging.

At the RareWares web site below are 32 and 64-bit compiles of LAME capable of taking FLAC as a direct input. If you replace the LAME you have now with one of them and then modify the FLAC to MP3 conversion rule in LMS' convert.conf file to use this version of LAME without first decoding using flac.exe, I'd bet there's a good chance that it will copy the tags to the MP3 being created.

http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php

I'll play with it and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    Are you actually downloading files to the Android phone, or are you playing them?
    Playing is not an issue, there I can use the flac format. Download requires transcoding and that is done by LMS.

I will also play around with other versions of Lame.
    ASUS P6-P5G41E W10 x64 | ASUS ZENBOOK W10 x64 | SheevaPlug Debian Wheezy | pi0 Debian Squeeze| LMS 7.9.1 - 1516197805 | 9 SB Radios | 2 SB Receivers | iPeng 9 | Squeeze Player 1.3.12 & Squeeze Ctrl 1.9.6

Quote Originally Posted by doubleugk View Post
    Playing is not an issue, there I can use the flac format. Download requires transcoding and that is done by LMS.

I will also play around with other versions of Lame.
    Is there a reason you need to download the files like that? Because there are some very good free transcoding programs available that will create Mp3s from your FLAC files. There's dbpoweramp (the transcoder is free), foobar2000 and others.

Is there a reason you need to download the files like that?
    Yes there is, while listening to my favorite music, streaming from the LMS, the Squeeze Commander on my Android device offers me the option to download the actual track or album. Off course I don't want to store it in flac format. So it would be nice to have it downloaded with all tags which are available in the flac source file.
    As mentioned before, the transcoding is handled by LMS and unfortunately it is not done in the same way as of other transcoding software, even it uses Lame.

Why not just transcode your whole library to Mp3 and then copy whatever favorites you like directly onto your phone? Wouldn't it be easier, doing it once and for all, instead of on the fly?

This is what I and many other people do for our portable devices. My 1050 GB FLAC library transcoded to Mp3 using LAME -V2 takes a little less than 1/4 the storage space, at 234 GB. The added storage needs are minimal and the files are always immediately available.

Why not just transcode your whole library to Mp3 and then copy whatever favorites you like directly onto your phone? Wouldn't it be easier, doing it once and for all, instead of on the fly?

This is what I and many other people do for our portable devices. My 1050 GB FLAC library transcoded to Mp3 using LAME -V2 takes a little less than 1/4 the storage space, at 234 GB. The added storage needs are minimal and the files are always immediately available.
    ...and it can be done as a batch, so the user time required is less than it takes to drink a cup of coffee. Just set the transcode job running and come back later.

wgk, I've tested that version of LAME and unfortunately it does not transfer the tags from the FLAC file to the resulting MP3. Sorry.

Using ffmpeg instead of lame!?

Such a sh...

I know that one could transcode all flacs to mp3.

But you haven't got the point why it's very comfortable to you the Squeeze Commander's download capability.
    E.g. my kids listen to some music on their SB Radio. With SC they remotely control their SBR and if they want a particular song on their mobile they just press download.

I found out that it's not possible to do a transcoding in one step and you have to take care that you preserve the flac tags.

With ffmpeg it would be possible. Any clue how to use ffmpeg instead of lame? In the LMS settings for file types the options are predefined.