Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbinfl
    • Dec 2008

Doesn't work on virtual machines

...or at least in my testing the past few days it has not....
    I have a habit of sorting out new stuff on VMs before i install / configure it on my primary PC, and run Hyper-V on Windows 10 for this purpose.. This is a very reliable process and I can't recall not being able to make something work on a VM. BUT... I spent a couple of days trying to get Squeezelite running as a service using NSSM and could not get it to work.
    VMs I tried:
    Windows 10 64-bit
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Windows 8 32-bit
    Things I tried:
    - unblock the executable and all DLLs
    - various compatibility modes for the exe
    - various command options in NSSM (different than what was recommended)

In every case the service would start and go immediately to a paused state. Turned on debug logging for Squeezlite and redirected to a file and found that on startup the log output was:

squeezelite.exe -o 2 -n SL_Mockingbird -s 192.168.0.15 -d all=debug -f c:\squeezelite\debug.txt
    [14:19:03.943] stream_init:290 init stream
    [14:19:03.943] stream_init:291 streambuf size: 2097152
    [14:19:03.943] output_init_pa:393 init output
    [14:19:03.943] output_init_pa:405 requested latency: 0
    [14:19:03.943] output_init_common:342 outputbuf size: 3528000

...and stopped there. Log output for a working interactive desktop instance was much more complete.

Anyway, this evening I finally gave it a go on my physical W10 64-bit machine. Installed as a service and started up fine on the first attempt. Go figure.

~dbinfl~

Comment

• gaustabl
      • Jan 2016

Volume control

Originally posted by dbinfl
      ...or at least in my testing the past few days it has not....
      I have a habit of sorting out new stuff on VMs before i install / configure it on my primary PC, and run Hyper-V on Windows 10 for this purpose.. This is a very reliable process and I can't recall not being able to make something work on a VM. BUT... I spent a couple of days trying to get Squeezelite running as a service using NSSM and could not get it to work.
      VMs I tried:
      Windows 10 64-bit
      Windows 7 64-bit
      Windows 8 32-bit
      Things I tried:
      - unblock the executable and all DLLs
      - various compatibility modes for the exe
      - various command options in NSSM (different than what was recommended)

In every case the service would start and go immediately to a paused state. Turned on debug logging for Squeezlite and redirected to a file and found that on startup the log output was:

squeezelite.exe -o 2 -n SL_Mockingbird -s 192.168.0.15 -d all=debug -f c:\squeezelite\debug.txt
      [14:19:03.943] stream_init:290 init stream
      [14:19:03.943] stream_init:291 streambuf size: 2097152
      [14:19:03.943] output_init_pa:393 init output
      [14:19:03.943] output_init_pa:405 requested latency: 0
      [14:19:03.943] output_init_common:342 outputbuf size: 3528000

...and stopped there. Log output for a working interactive desktop instance was much more complete.

Anyway, this evening I finally gave it a go on my physical W10 64-bit machine. Installed as a service and started up fine on the first attempt. Go figure.

~dbinfl~
      Hello.
      I have installed windows 10 on a mac mini (bootcamp partion), and lms server and Local player is working. Problem is that the volume control is not controling the volume of the soundcard, just the "soft" volume of the player, eg. if the soundcard volume is low, i only get low volume from the player even at max volume.
      Is there a way to get the players volume control to change the output volume from the soundcard ?

Best regards, and thanks for any help !
      Lars

Comment

• fredphoesh
        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by sp1976
        Now I’ll show you how to start your squeezelite player as a service (no longer command line needed to start squeezelite).
        Hi there,
        Thanks for your tutorials... the first one worked great for me, but this one, when I reboot windows, the squeezelite is not showing in LMS. When I go to Windows Services, I see Squeezelite is PAUSED. When I try to start it, I get an error message saying
        "Unable to start service
        The operation could not be completed
        An instance of the service is already running"

Which is odd, since there is no "instance of the service" running! I do have SqueezePlay installed, but it is not running...

Any ideas?
        Thanks,
        Mark.

Comment

• rtfmoz
          • Nov 2016

Squeezelite installer for Windows

Basically an Windows installer implementation of this HOWTO using Innosetup :-)

Offers tickbox option to install as a service.

When installed as a service, the computer is named Desktop under logitech apps.

Squeezelite binaries from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/lms...s/squeezelite/
          Service Manager from: https://nssm.cc/
          Installation information from this thread.
          Inno Setup Script ~ http://pastebin.com/LXcrNufx

Squeezelite installer for Windows attached -- squeezelite-1.8.5.808.zip
          Attached Files
          Last edited by rtfmoz; 2016-11-06, 23:09.

Comment

• verypsb
            • May 2008

Originally posted by fredphoesh
            Hi there,
            Thanks for your tutorials... the first one worked great for me, but this one, when I reboot windows, the squeezelite is not showing in LMS. When I go to Windows Services, I see Squeezelite is PAUSED. When I try to start it, I get an error message saying
            "Unable to start service
            The operation could not be completed
            An instance of the service is already running"

Which is odd, since there is no "instance of the service" running! I do have SqueezePlay installed, but it is not running...

Any ideas?
            Thanks,
            Mark.
            I have exactly the same problem on the latest Windows 10 builds. It worked without problems on older builds. I'm using Windows 10, version 1607, build 15025.1000 (rs_prerelease.170127-1750)

best regards,
            Dennis,
            Please vote:
            bug 1330 New music should work on creation date
            bug 17963 New and changed doesn't handle changed files
            bug 17799 Use a separator such as 'Also appears on' when viewing the albums by an artist
            bug 18054 Add support for 'Set Subtitle'/'Disc Subtitle' (ID3v2.4 TSST/ID3V2.3 TIT3)
            1x Boom, 1x Classic, 4x Controller, 1x Radio, 4x Receiver, 2x Touch

Comment

• marflao
              • Sep 2012

Thanks for this tutorial and Ralphy for pointing me here ;-)

I successfully followed the steps described in post #1 to set up Squeezelite via the command line.

In my case I installed Squeezelite on a WIN 8 notebook (LMS runs on my NAS) and chose the ASIO driver of my external USB DAC (LHL GO2ASE).
              All good so far... even dsf files are played smoothly and synching between Squeezelite and my other player (a Pi2 w. PicorePlayer) works like a charm, too.

I also tried the batch file approach but wasn´t able to "get a sound" via Squeezelite (either using the win32 or win64 binaries) therefore I removed nssm and went back to the "cmd" approach.

Just one question from my side:
              is my understanding correct that once i started Squeezelite via the corresponding command that the command line window has to stay open as long as I intend to play something via Squeezelite?
              Or in other words: once the command line window is closed Squeezelite will be shut down as a player in LMS, correct?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Zn0rt
                • Dec 2008

Squeezelite still works great on Windows 10 Creators Update

Just a little feedback;

This works exactly as described on Windows 10 Creators Update.

Used nssm (64bit prelease build 2.2.4-101) and a batch file (used latest libmpg123-0.dll, also works fine).
                Syncs perfectly.

Cheers

Z

Comment

Working...