Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

[HOW TO] Squeezelite player on Windows 8 step by step

[HOW TO] Squeezelite player on Windows 8 step by step

This is my first step by step, written to help non-techy people to setup squeezelite player (all kudos to Triode for this great little friend of our Squeezebox environment).
    Prequisitions:
    I. You have LMS already installed (either on the same machine or separate)
    II. This tutorial is based on Windows 8 environment
    III. You have basic knowledge about Squeezebox and LMS behavior

1. Download squeezelite for windows from here
    https://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/downloads/list

2. Unzip it squeezelite-win.zip to your final destination for example native Windows download folder. If you want you can rename this folder to “Squeezelite” and squeezelite-win.exe to squeezelite.exe as well (not mandatory).

3. Do not try to run squeezelite-win.exe stored in your unzipped folder. You need to run it via cmd.exe (command line). I’ll show you how in next steps.

4. To add mp3 playback support, install either libmad-0.dll or libmpg123-0.dll in the same directory as this file. Suggested by Triode source:
    - download http://www.mpg123.de/download/win32/...1.14.4-x86.zip from MPG123
    - extract mpg123-1.14.4-x86/libmpg123-0.dll into this directory (the file is approx ~282k when extracted).

Now your Squeezelite folder should look like this:

Name:  mp3 lib folder.JPG
Views: 13251
Size:  34.5 KB

5. In the address toolbar write “cmd” (without quotes) and press enter

Name:  cmd.jpg
Views: 13138
Size:  47.7 KB

6. Now Command Line should open

Name:  cmd1.JPG
Views: 13117
Size:  29.5 KB

7. Your first step now will be to determine your audio output. In the command line write:
    squeezebox-win.exe –l
    TIP: if you want to copy commands and paste into command line dialog box just use your mouse: copy desired text and using your mouse right button choose from context menu “Paste”.

This will list all your audio outputs and should look like this:

Name:  audio output list.JPG
Views: 13121
Size:  54.1 KB

8. Ok, now very important thing – we have to determine what audio output is your “squeezelite audio output”. Write down the numbers of your audio outputs; we’ll need it later.
    TIP: If you are going to use external DAC, especially USB DAC you have to connect it BEFORE running –l command for listing your audio outputs.

9. The easiest way to find out which output to choose is to follow these steps:

9a. Run your Logitech Media Server and if you have another Squeezebox player play any music. This will tell us that we have audio signal coming from your LMS. Now go to next step.

10. Now you should understand basic squeezelite commands (all without quotes!!!):
    “-o” – this command tells squeezelite what audio output to choose
    “-n” – after this command you can specify name of your squeezelite player
    “-s” – this is command for telling your squeezelite player what’s your LMS ip

11. Now we’ll write command to start squeezelite:

squeezelite-win.exe -o 7 -n SqueezeliteWIN -s 192.168.0.122

where:
    “7” is my audio output (in my case these are speakers connected to headphones output)
    “SqueezeliteWIN” is my squeezelite player name
    “192.168.0.122” is my LMS IP address

12. After running this command go back to LMS, best way is to open it via web browser. Now you should see your newly started squeezelite player.

Name:  LMS.JPG
Views: 13097
Size:  18.2 KB

Now you should sync your squeezebox players.
    If you can hear music form both of your players – good for you.
    No? Don’t panic. You have to choose different audio output.
    Close the command line dialog box, and open it again (just like in the step 5).
    Now type (or paste) this command:
    squeezelite-win.exe -o 7 -n SqueezeliteWIN -s 192.168.0.122
    but now change the audio output number after “-o” command. Repeat, until you here music from your squeezelte player.
    Last edited by sp1976; 2014-02-04 at 02:34.

Squeezelite player as a service

Now I’ll show you how to start your squeezelite player as a service (no longer command line needed to start squeezelite).

STEP 1: Create .bat file
    1. Open new text file using your Text editor.

2. In your newly created text file we have to place the path to where your squeezelite player is stored and the parameters you already know if you have followed the steps in previous parts of my tutorial. My squeezelite player is stored in default windows download folder so I need to put in my text file the following line:

C:\Users\sptak\Downloads\squeezelite-win\squeezelite-win.exe -o 7 -n SqueezeliteWIN -s 192.168.5.172

3. Now we will save this file as .bat file.

Name:  bat.jpg
Views: 12952
Size:  80.2 KB

Save as -> All files -> Squeezelite.bat

IMPORTANT: Do not forget to name your bat file with “.bat” extension 

Now we have .bat file we will use in the next step

STEP 2: Run squeezelite player as a service
    1. Please download NSSM http://nssm.cc/download . This tool will help us to run squuezelite as a service.
    Download current NSSM version and unzip it.
    VERY IMPORTANT: You cannot move this folder after running squeezelite as a service. I strongly suggest to place this folder in the place where it can stay forever or to the next Windows reinstallation 

2. Now copy the path to the right NSSM folder (win32 or win64 depending on your operating system). For me the path is:
    C:\Users\sptak\Downloads\nssm-2.21.1\win32
    Write it down.

3. Now you have to open Command line with administrator privileges in the right folder. Here is how to do it:
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

You should see something like this:

Name:  nssm1.JPG
Views: 12887
Size:  21.8 KB

4. Now write
    nssm install

5. New popup window will appear:

Name:  nssm2.JPG
Views: 12908
Size:  40.4 KB

6. Now choose in the Path line .bat file created in step above. Name your service (Squeezlite or other name of your choice) and click “Install service”.

That’s it. To be sure restart windows and you should see in your LMS squeezelite running.

Thanks, this info was very helpful.

Thumbs up from a novice trying to figure SQLite out.

Great tutorial, thanks!

A heads up for people who might place squeezelite in a directory with spaces in its name. In the .bat file you need to use quotes, like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SqueezeLite\squeezelite-win.exe" -n WhateverYouWantAsAName -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Quote Originally Posted by gorman View Post
    Great tutorial, thanks!

Seconded

Now I need a tutorial for the uninstall........please....

atb

Ronnie.

What-if LMS is remote and requiers logon?

Nothing happened when I tried this on my PC.
    Squeezelite-win only hangs with out any output or response what so ever to the command line.

I assume this may have to do with the fact that may LMS is remote (public IP) and requiers logon (Username/Password) to authenticate any unknown playback client.

How do I solve that?

Rgds
    Viking

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Seconded

Now I need a tutorial for the uninstall........please....

atb

Ronnie.
    The command to remove a service is:

nssm remove squeezelite

Follow the steps 2 and 3 from post #2 and in 4th step the command to remove a service is:

nssm remove squeezelite

Quote Originally Posted by sp1976 View Post
    Now I’ll show you how to start your squeezelite player as a service (no longer command line needed to start squeezelite).
    Hi there,
    Thanks for your tutorials... the first one worked great for me, but this one, when I reboot windows, the squeezelite is not showing in LMS. When I go to Windows Services, I see Squeezelite is PAUSED. When I try to start it, I get an error message saying
    "Unable to start service
    The operation could not be completed
    An instance of the service is already running"

Which is odd, since there is no "instance of the service" running! I do have SqueezePlay installed, but it is not running...

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Mark.

Squeezelite installer for Windows

Basically an Windows installer implementation of this HOWTO using Innosetup :-)

Offers tickbox option to install as a service.

When installed as a service, the computer is named Desktop under logitech apps.

Squeezelite binaries from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/lms...s/squeezelite/
    Service Manager from: https://nssm.cc/
    Installation information from this thread.
    Inno Setup Script ~ http://pastebin.com/LXcrNufx

Squeezelite installer for Windows attached -- squeezelite-1.8.5.808.zip
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rtfmoz; 2016-11-06 at 16:09.

Quote Originally Posted by fredphoesh View Post
    Hi there,
    Thanks for your tutorials... the first one worked great for me, but this one, when I reboot windows, the squeezelite is not showing in LMS. When I go to Windows Services, I see Squeezelite is PAUSED. When I try to start it, I get an error message saying
    "Unable to start service
    The operation could not be completed
    An instance of the service is already running"

Which is odd, since there is no "instance of the service" running! I do have SqueezePlay installed, but it is not running...

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Mark.
    I have exactly the same problem on the latest Windows 10 builds. It worked without problems on older builds. I'm using Windows 10, version 1607, build 15025.1000 (rs_prerelease.170127-1750)

best regards,
    Dennis,