Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Podcasts - Am I doing it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Guut_Boy View Post
    ...Just saying that those who _would_ be interested may not voice their interest in the community, simply because they do not expect much of SB in terms of podcasting ...
    I think there's something to that assessment. I originally purchased the SB to handle my music collection. I never thought I would use it for podcasts, but I now follow 25 or so podcasts that I listen to regularly. Your suggestions are excellent, but I guess I've accepted the limited functionality since podcast listening is a secondary function for me. That said, the improvements in 7.8 are very welcome, and it is worth the effort to upgrade.
    Location 1: ReadyNAS Ultra 2 4TB > LMS 7.9.0 > 2 Touch, 1 Duet
    Controller: Nexus 7 >Orange Squeeze
    Music: Ripping (FLAC) dbpoweramp, Tagging: mp3tag

I been have thinking a about the option of setting up an "external" podcatcher and have it play nice with LMS. I.e. use some other program to manage downloads and subscriptions (I'm thinking mashpodder), and then just have them be displayed nicely on the squeezebox. What I am going for is simply a way to show podcast-episodes as either played or unplayed.

Setting up the podcatcher to download the podcast I subscribe to is really no problem. What I am thinking is I could run a script as a cron job every hour or so to check if any of the downloaded episodes have been played via LMS. Then script should move anything that has been played to a special directory like "Old_Episodes". Using the folder view I would get something slightly closer to what I would like.

Only problem is: how do I tell what has been played in LMS? I was thinking maybe I can use the trackstat plugin? I mean that is supposed to keep statistics on which files have been played among other things right? Is there a way for me to get that information out using a bash script or something like that?

Pocket Casts

Have you thought about trying to integrate with the Pocket Casts API?

Quote Originally Posted by nchall View Post
    Have you thought about trying to integrate with the Pocket Casts API?
    There is no pocket casts API unfortunately, and no plans to provide one

https://twitter.com/pocketcasts/stat...38023842357248
    Last edited by andynormancx; 2014-03-29 at 11:41.
    Yes, it will. Yes, all of them. Yes, SoftSqueeze as well. What ?
    I SAID ALL OF THEM !

On my Windows 8 machine installing the Podcast plugin works well but on the Windows 7 machine it just says that it couldn't be installed; it moved from Inactive plugins to Active plugins, though. I had 7.8.0 on Windows 8 and 7.8.1 on Windows 7; however, uppdating to 7.8.1 on my Windows 8 machine didn't break the plugin. Any ideas?
    Last edited by ButC; 2014-04-05 at 00:40.

I upgraded from a previous version of LMS to 7.8.0 today, and I noticed in the release notes that Podcast support is supposed to be improved. That's great. Thanks, Michael! I use my Squeezeboxen to listen to podcasts all the time, so this could really improve my experience.

Specifically, I saw that LMS now "Allow[s] resuming a podcast you partially listened to before." I can't figure out how this is supposed to work, but it's a feature that I would love. I'm often in the middle of a two or three hour podcast but then want to listen to something else, or perhaps my girlfriend would like to listen to something, and then later I'd like to start my podcast back up from where it ended. I can't figure out how it's supposed to work, though.

I assume that this only works when using the My Apps->Podcasts feature? Ideally I could trigger it arbitrarily, because I often like to actually download podcasts and then just play them locally. I can't figure out how it works at all, though. In case it matters, I have not associated my LMS server with mysqueezebox.com. Do I need to have done that?

I've just created an account on the forum, but I've been running a Squeezebox setup for about a year. Right now, it consists of 1 boom, 2 UE Smart Radios "downgraded" to Squeezebox, and several instances of Squeezelite running on x86 Windows, x86 Linux, and ARM Linux. My LMS server is x86 Linux (gentoo). I wish the product line wasn't being discontinued; my PogoPlug E02s work great, but I'd certainly buy more real Squeezebox devices if any were being sold. Oh well.

Podcasts - Am I doing it wrong?

> Specifically, I saw that LMS now "-Allow[s] resuming a podcast you
    > partially listened to before-." I can't figure out how this is supposed
    > to work, but it's a feature that I would love. I'm often in the middle
    > of a two or three hour podcast but then want to listen to something
    > else, or perhaps my girlfriend would like to listen to something, and
    > then later I'd like to start my podcast back up from where it ended. I
    > can't figure out how it's supposed to work, though.

You shouldn't need to do anything. When you're listening to a podcast
    LMS tries to keep track of your listening position. And next time you'd
    select that podcast it would ask if you wanted to continue where you
    left or start from scratch.

Unfortunately this doesn't always work, as some podcasts don't have
    duration information. Therefore we can't jump inside them. What specific
    podcast have you been testing with?

> I assume that this only works when using the -My Apps-->-Podcasts-
    > feature? Ideally I could trigger it arbitrarily, because I often like
    > to actually download podcasts and then just play them locally. I can't
    > figure out how it works at all, though. In case it matters, I have
    > -not- associated my LMS server with mysqueezebox.com. Do I need to have
    > done that?

No, it's implemented in LMS only.

--

Michael

Ah, I figured out several things.

First, I apparently listen to a lot of podcasts that don't seem to be trackable with the system. I did a little bit of debugging (I'm a programmer, but I have never used Perl) and to me it looks like podcasts that provide downloads through redirects aren't tracked. You can still use the Podcast feature to select the tracks and they play just fine, but they don't get recognized as podcasts and don't have the "play from last position" behavior.

Some examples of Podcasts that exhibit this:
    http://www.marketplace.org/shows/85/podcast.xml
    http://kuow.org/podcasts/19654/rss.xml
    http://feeds.wnyc.org/onthemedia

I tracked this down to (at least) the regex boolean test at Slim/Plugin/Podcast/Parser.pm:140. I think in general the $url regex tests are prone to failure with podcasts that use redirection (especially with volatile query string parameters in the URLs). I made some changes that involved stripping the regex test down to just the filename (e.g. ... =~ basename(URI->new($url)->path()); ), but that could be a little fragile. I looked at this for about an hour today and I think that's the most I've ever used Perl in my life, so I have little confidence in my ability to make changes that would be worth sending to the community, at least without guidance.

The other source of confusion for me was that I expected that podcast resumption would somehow trigger when picking tracks within a playlist, but it seems to trigger only when re-adding a track from the Podcast app to a playlist. I'm not complaining about this (after all, it's open source and I can change things if I'm sufficiently motivated), but it was a point of confusion for me.

Thanks again for all of your hard work, Michael. If you feel moved to look into this, I'd be happy to beta test any changes you make.

Oh, one final thing. What I would really love would be an option to arbitrarily store positions for seeking to within any track in my library. A per-track bookmark, essentially, which could be stored and triggered either through buttons on the web interface or through context menu items on the squeezeboxes themselves. Would the architecture of LMS prevent this from being added without a ton of work? If this is a thing that sounds doable I'd be happy to spend some time hacking away at it, but I don't really know where to start. I saw that there used to be a Bookmark plugin (that broke around the time the Radios were released), but I don't know if it would make sense to base a new plugin on it, or whether things have changed enough since then to make that impractical.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadrach View Post
    Oh, one final thing. What I would really love would be an option to arbitrarily store positions for seeking to within any track in my library. A per-track bookmark, essentially, which could be stored and triggered either through buttons on the web interface or through context menu items on the squeezeboxes themselves. Would the architecture of LMS prevent this from being added without a ton of work? If this is a thing that sounds doable I'd be happy to spend some time hacking away at it, but I don't really know where to start. I saw that there used to be a Bookmark plugin (that broke around the time the Radios were released), but I don't know if it would make sense to base a new plugin on it, or whether things have changed enough since then to make that impractical.
    I would love something like this too! I like to listen to Podcasts, but I don't always have internet access. So I download them but then sometimes I lose position and it's frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by rpress View Post
    I would love something like this too! I like to listen to Podcasts, but I don't always have internet access. So I download them but then sometimes I lose position and it's frustrating.
    I second that. That's the only frustrating issue i have with my squeezeserver setup at home. I listen a lot to radio dramas - some of these have dozens of episodes each an hour or so long. Finding the right track and the correct position in a track where you last stopped listening is annoying.

Having a feature where you could define a set of genres where the server remembers track and position in track of albums and asks you "Play from start or resume?" when you play it would be really great.

My perl skills are way to limited to create a plugin like that myself. I searched a lot through thist forum and never found something useful. But there must be a few people who could use this - not only for audio dramas/radio dramas, but even more audiobooks.

I wrote a crude python script which uses the CLI to store track/position after i stop playing an album in a pickle database. If i start it again and pause it after a couple of seconds it sets the play position to these values. This works somehow. But a plugin or even an integrated feature in the server would of course be the way better solution.
    Last edited by sternenjaeger; 2014-08-04 at 03:40.