Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Couldn't find dhcp server

Last year I got this message saying it could not find the dhcp server, this happens in setup after I have connected to my server and when you select find a ip address dynamicaly. I got aorund it by selecting a static ip address, now that along with the subnet mask and gateway\dns addresses (which I get from my router page) are not working for some readon. So now I want to figure out why it can't find the dhcp server.

My boom has been down all over christmas and I miss it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

In most home networks the router also acts as the DHCP server. First, try powering down all your network devices and then rebooting your router. Then start turning your computer(s), Squeezebox(es), etc. back on. If that doesn't resolve things, try a new router.

Couldn't find dhcp server

You should provide some more information about your setup: what is
    playing the role of the dhcp server? did you recently change your
    infrastructure? New ISP?

--

Michael

Thanks for information! I have a netgear router from 2011. Other devices such as WD TV Live streamer (netflix), netbook, other laptops, phone and tablet connect fine. Nothing has changed as regards my ISP for a couple of years. I have rebooted the router numerous times and it was recent switched off for 5 days while the house was unoccupied. Any other info I can provide which would help?

Quote Originally Posted by boardtc View Post
    I got aorund it by selecting a static ip address, now that along with the subnet mask and gateway\dns addresses (which I get from my router page) are not working for some readon. So now I want to figure out why it can't find the dhcp server.
    Assuming DHCP server is running (seems likely if other devices are OK), If Boom cannot contact DHCP and if Boom is not working after you have manually entered IP address, DNS, subnet and Gateway address then it is likely Boom has not got a network connections and/or one or more of values you have entered manually are wrong. What are the addresses you have entered ?

If using a wired connection - change cables and connect directly to router.
    If using a wireless connection - move boom closers to Router and check Wireless strength, SSID etc and post results on thread - perhaps a neighbour has setup a new wifi netwrok and boom is tryign to connect to it.

Sorted but 2nd machine not finding dns...

Many thanks for the replies. I made a bit of a school boy error, I was using the dns\gateway values from my router which are the externals ones as opposed to the internal ones shown on windows by ipconfig /all. I'm back in business.

I wonder why it won't pick up the dns automatically. Thanks again for your time.

Update: Just now my wife's laptop was having problems and on doing an ipconfig /renew it could not find the dns server. So I had to set up manually as well.

Looks like an issue with my router....
    Last edited by boardtc; 2014-01-12 at 06:46.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtc View Post
    Last year I got this message saying it could not find the dhcp server, this happens in setup after I have connected to my server and when you select find a ip address dynamicaly. I got aorund it by selecting a static ip address, now that along with the subnet mask and gateway\dns addresses (which I get from my router page) are not working for some readon. So now I want to figure out why it can't find the dhcp server.

Thanks!
    this is exactly what I have had today. Yesterday it was fine. I've tried re-booting the pc and the squeezebox,re input the server ip manually...but not touched the DHCP ip....went through the automatic ip selectiion....but it still won't connect to my server and still give me the message it cant find the DCHP