Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenyeats View Post
    Right but a reasonably intelligent and well educated person finding something implausible does not constitute "fact"!

Not long ago, it was a fact that digital transports and cables couldn't make a difference for DACs, until Archimago got his measuring stick out.
    Just a note to clarify what the results show:
    1. Yes, transports do make a difference. Small changes can be found between the Squeezebox units and laptops mainly in the extreme high frequencies... I suspect this is the result of timing differences with the synchronous SPDIF interface and my old adaptive isochronous USB DAC. This effect goes away with asynchronous USB DACs (ASUS Essence One, TEAC UD-501).

2. Digital cables by themselves do not seem to make any difference - TosLink, coaxial, USB, HDMI all measure the same for me (obviously so long as the digital data isn't being corrupted). Theoretically, extremely long cables could cause timing errors but I haven't seen this with a 12-foot length of plastic TosLink (2x6' connected with plastic optocoupler) or 25-foot poor quality coaxial SPDIF. Of course, my billionaire playboy friend Keaton Goulden-Eyre III subjectively heard differences ;-).

I'm still looking for the opportunity to borrow some expensive cables to try from the local audio store but have not been down there in a few months now...
    Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimago View Post
    TosLink, coaxial, USB, HDMI all measure the same for me (obviously so long as the digital data isn't being corrupted). Theoretically, extremely long cables could cause timing errors but I haven't seen this with a 12-foot length of plastic TosLink (2x6' connected with plastic optocoupler) or 25-foot poor quality coaxial SPDIF.
    What about here http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2013/02...transport.html for 24/96? You have different results for "RCA" and "cheap RCA".
    Check it, add to it! http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

SB Touch

Quote Originally Posted by darrenyeats View Post
    What about here http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2013/02...transport.html for 24/96? You have different results for "RCA" and "cheap RCA".
    Good point. Fair enough :-). That was a demonstration of noise getting into the DAC from an unshielded RCA cable not meant as a digital coaxial interconnect.

I guess it's best to say that so long as there's adequate shielding from noise in a non-galvanically isolated digital interface and bit perfection is achieved, there should be no differences...

As a reminder, even though the "cheap RCA" cable demonstrated higher noise floor, the difference was really small and can be bettered with just a decent inexpensive generic coaxial cable!
    Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.