Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 68 of 68
  1. #61
    For starters, if we’re all having the same part failure, seems like not the best idea to use identical board unless there is some improvements. Many reports of a tiny smoked resistor (which looks to be the issue with mine too), so, I’m not totally confident on the design.

    I agree though it would be nice to have the same board fit into the screw holes. And 2.3amp is plenty of power given at full load my Transporter drew under 1.7a

    Then there’s the matter of a 8.5GBP device that I cannot get a price for shipping from UK to USA without registration, and it’s likely to cost several times that of the PS itself to get it to Texas. From Amazon, I can probably get same day delivery on one that produces the same 5vDC regulated and would work just fine.

    What am I missing?

    Oh, and that we have an 8mo old baby so time is super precious, I’m definitely motivated to get this repaired and buttoned up and off my desk quickly. ;-)

  2. #62
    Senior Member JoeMuc2009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Marktoberdorf, Germany
    Posts
    112
    I have just purchased 10pcs. No idea how long it will take until they are here but at almost 20 EUR shipping cost I should assume they are up to their name.
    How about 20 EUR (shipping included) for one forwarded to you?


    PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

    LMS 7.9.0 on Windows Server 2012
    1x Squezeebox Classic SB2
    7x Squeezebox Classic SB3 (one waiting for repair)
    7x Squeezebox Boom (two waiting for repair)
    1x Transporter
    2x Controller (one waiting for repair)
    3x Touch (two waiting for repair)
    1x Radio

  3. #63
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    9

    Recapped my old PSU

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeMuc2009 View Post
    Hi all,

    I repaired a Transporter in September 2016 that had display failure as described here -

    . . . but I think that the caps are the prime failure point because of their unfortunate placement. )

    My Transporter recently died as well with the same failed display PSU. Though this thing is cheap to replace through Rapid, the real issue here is absolute low-grade "jellybean" electrolytic capacitors they used in building these power supplies. Low-grade electrolytic capacitors will not last very long in almost any application. Rather than buying a new PSU from Rapid, which would had surely fixed the issue, I ended up re-capping my failed PSU with high-quality, high-reliability, electrolytic caps by Panasonic and Nichicon, like should have been installed in the first place. You can buy theses parts from Digi-Key or an other electronic-parts supplier for less than $5 US, and they can easily be installed using a small pencil-soldering iron, good-grade electronics solder, and some solder-wick. It not difficult to do . . . and if you don't know how to solder, there are many You-Tube videos the show you how. Best of luck to all!

    Parts I used are as follows:

    Digi-Key P/N``````Mfg P/N````````````Disc.

    493-6894-ND`````UCY2W220MHD``````CAP ALUM 22UF 20% 450V RADIAL
    P15367CT-ND`````EEU-FR1E681LB`````CAP ALUM 680UF 20% 25V RADIAL
    1189-1069-ND````10YXJ470M6.3X11```CAP ALUM 470UF 20% 10V RADIAL
    P13478-ND```````EEU-EB1H100S``````CAP ALUM 10UF 20% 50V RADIAL
    Last edited by Forrest; 2018-02-13 at 22:55.
    Digital: Transporter > DEQX HDP-Express (3-way digital corssover/speaker correction)> bi-amped Apogee Duetta Signatures (Graz MRTs) powered by (2X)rebuilt Threshold Staisis 2 amps / pair of stereo Rythmik/GR Research servo subs.

    Vinyl: VPI HW19 MkIV/SDS/SAMA/Tenderfoot suspension/Eminent Tech ET2/AT33PTG/Jeff Rowland Consonance preamp w/phono.

  4. #64
    Senior Member JoeMuc2009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Marktoberdorf, Germany
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
    My Transporter recently died as well with the same failed display PSU. Though this thing is cheap to replace through Rapid, the real issue here is absolute low-grade "jellybean" electrolytic capacitors they used in building these power supplies. Low-grade electrolytic capacitors will not last very long in almost any application. Rather than buying a new PSU from Rapid, which would had surely fixed the issue, I ended up re-capping my failed PSU with high-quality, high-reliability, electrolytic caps by Panasonic and Nichicon, like should have been installed in the first place. You can buy thess parts from Digi-Key or an other electronic parts supplier for less than $5 US, and they can easily be installed using a small pencil-soldering iron, good-grade electronics solder, and some solder-wick. It not difficult to do, but if you don't know how to solder, there are many You-Tube videos the show you how. Best of luck to all!
    I totally agree. Buying a new power supply is wasteful as long as it just failed due to some capacitors. Like in the three Transporters I had here for repair. It's a shame to toss a module that has two or three failed out of more than 20 components, and spare parts are really cheap, even the good ones. No need to put audio quality caps here, eventually this is just about the display power source.
    But the quality of the capacitors is just half the story. The other is (imho) that they should be further away from the heat sources on the PCB. That's why I mount new capacitors with the full length of their legs (isolated of course) and glue them down to the Transporter's bottom shell. Even crappy quality capacitors will live much longer this way.
    However, not everybody has the tools and skills and courage to do this. If doing the soldering is too hard, and nobody is available to do it, but tools are at least sufficient to replace the PCB with a new one, that's an excuse.

    I am thinking of selling a few modified PSU boards, brand new but equipped with quality capacitors (Panasonic or similar) right from the start. PN me if you are interested.


    PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

    LMS 7.9.0 on Windows Server 2012
    1x Squezeebox Classic SB2
    7x Squeezebox Classic SB3 (one waiting for repair)
    7x Squeezebox Boom (two waiting for repair)
    1x Transporter
    2x Controller (one waiting for repair)
    3x Touch (two waiting for repair)
    1x Radio

  5. #65
    Now your talking! :-) That will be a project for the future, but wanted to post this here as I found it also incredibly informative. This guy does the same re-cap job with lots of excellent details. I just wish i had the time to do it now. "someday". http://joes-tech-blog.blogspot.com/2...er-repair.html

  6. #66
    Senior Member JoeMuc2009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Marktoberdorf, Germany
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebeeryale View Post
    Now your talking! :-) That will be a project for the future, but wanted to post this here as I found it also incredibly informative. This guy does the same re-cap job with lots of excellent details. I just wish i had the time to do it now. "someday". http://joes-tech-blog.blogspot.com/2...er-repair.html
    Yeah, that's me


    PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

    LMS 7.9.0 on Windows Server 2012
    1x Squezeebox Classic SB2
    7x Squeezebox Classic SB3 (one waiting for repair)
    7x Squeezebox Boom (two waiting for repair)
    1x Transporter
    2x Controller (one waiting for repair)
    3x Touch (two waiting for repair)
    1x Radio

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeMuc2009 View Post
    Yeah, that's me
    Well... first, a huge thank you!

    And secondly, I'm tentatively scheduled to be in Munich (and then on to Berlin) at the end of March. I'll PM you if it solidifies so I can buy you a beer and shake your hand!

  8. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebeeryale View Post
    For starters, if we’re all having the same part failure, seems like not the best idea to use identical board unless there is some improvements. Many reports of a tiny smoked resistor (which looks to be the issue with mine too), so, I’m not totally confident on the design.

    I agree though it would be nice to have the same board fit into the screw holes. And 2.3amp is plenty of power given at full load my Transporter drew under 1.7a

    Then there’s the matter of a 8.5GBP device that I cannot get a price for shipping from UK to USA without registration, and it’s likely to cost several times that of the PS itself to get it to Texas. From Amazon, I can probably get same day delivery on one that produces the same 5vDC regulated and would work just fine.

    What am I missing?

    Oh, and that we have an 8mo old baby so time is super precious, I’m definitely motivated to get this repaired and buttoned up and off my desk quickly. ;-)
    The board lasts roughly 6 to 10 years. I don't think anyone here has had a failure less than 6 years. As for cost, yes it is pricey. IMO, I'd either fix it or buy the original. Who knows what another design is or isn't going to do.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •