Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Beats Music to replace MOG..Where does that leave Squeezebox?

Just got an email about Beats Music coming online in January. I'm assuming this will coincide with shutting down of MOG, since Beats owns MOG. I'm also betting the result will be that the replacement for MOG will not be available over squeezebox devices. Anybody have any ideas about this? Looks like I might have to revert back to Spotify.

Quote Originally Posted by jmsent View Post
    Just got an email about Beats Music coming online in January. I'm assuming this will coincide with shutting down of MOG, since Beats owns MOG. I'm also betting the result will be that the replacement for MOG will not be available over squeezebox devices. Anybody have any ideas about this? Looks like I might have to revert back to Spotify.
    I switched back to spotify a year ago, mostly to be prepared for a potential mysb.com shutdown. Spotify (triodes3rd party) doesn't require mysb.com. MOG does.
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: VBA 4TB, SB3, Touch (3), Radio (3), CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Tagging - mp3tag, Streaming - Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I switched back to spotify a year ago, mostly to be prepared for a potential mysb.com shutdown. Spotify (triodes3rd party) doesn't require mysb.com. MOG does.
    Spotify only lets me play one song at a time so if I have two players they have to play the same thing. MOG does not have this limitation. It's a huge limitation if you are serving up phones and ipads. With 5 people in my house I'd have to pay spotify $50/month instead of the $5 I pay MOG. For $8/month I get netflix and every tv in my house can use it as well as mobile devices at the same time. The impact on netflix to deliver that content is much much higher than a few audio streams. Spotify is just being greedy. So spotify is not a substitute, nor is it a good buy. No info yet on how beats will work and then we'd have to have someone develop a plugin too. Sigh.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by dsm1212 View Post
    Spotify only lets me play one song at a time
    Premium lets you have multiple players.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Beats Music to replace MOG..Where does that leaveSqueezebox?

Beats Music has now officially released their launch date: January 21,

I'm a MOG premium subscriber, but have seen no official information
    about a shutdown.

Does this mean that both services will run side-by-side for a time? Or
    is Beats just protecting the last few days of that MOG revenue stream?
    How will they attempt to convert MOG customers to Beats Music customers?

It all remains to be seen, but we should know more within the week.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyT View Post
    Beats Music has now officially released their launch date: January 21,

I'm a MOG premium subscriber, but have seen no official information
    about a shutdown.

Does this mean that both services will run side-by-side for a time? Or
    is Beats just protecting the last few days of that MOG revenue stream?
    How will they attempt to convert MOG customers to Beats Music customers?

It all remains to be seen, but we should know more within the week.
    I have the same questions. They're not releasing any info at all. Maybe they'll run them together for a while, but I have to believe MOG's days are ultimately numbered.

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    Premium lets you have multiple players.
    I thought so too. I'll have to check when home, but I have the 9.99 spotify premium and I recall being able to play different songs to squeezeboxes, computer app, and iphone app all at the same time.
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop

Beats Music to replace MOG..Where does that leaveSqueezebox?

> I have the same questions. They're not releasing any info at all. Maybe
    > they'll run them together for a while, but I have to believe MOG's days
    > are ultimately numbered.

I agree. Which leads to the real nut of the question: How well will the
    Beats Music applications support the way I like to use the service?

My most prominent modes of usage are:

1) Ad-hoc listening to tracks that I'm reading about. I mostly use the
    mobile apps for this.

2) Also on mobile: Pre-downloading full albums, as a buffer - but also
    as a reminder/favorites list. Listening from this list later on as I'm
    wanting to choose from records I've already selected, rather than the
    complete universe of offerings. Sort of a time-shifted self-curation.

3) On Squeezebox: searching for an album and playing sync'd throughout
    the house.

I'm hopeful that the BM app (terrible initials!) will have some features
    that will support 1) and 2).

I suspect that 3) may be a goner, unless there are APIs that a helpful
    community developer could leverage to bring BM into the SB ecosystem.

--rt

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I thought so too. I'll have to check when home, but I have the 9.99 spotify premium and I recall being able to play different songs to squeezeboxes, computer app, and iphone app all at the same time.
    Well it didn't work on the trial I just did in November, but two of you have said it does so maybe it was a trial limitation? That would be a poor trial system because that's why I chose MOG. I'm speaking specifically about multiple users hitting the LMS server. Maybe it's a limitation of the triad Spotify plugin?

steve

Quote Originally Posted by dsm1212 View Post
    Well it didn't work on the trial I just did in November, but two of you have said it does so maybe it was a trial limitation? That would be a poor trial system because that's why I chose MOG. I'm speaking specifically about multiple users hitting the LMS server. Maybe it's a limitation of the triad Spotify plugin?

steve
    I'll have to test again to be sure. I never used the trial version so not sure about it either. In my own use case, I'm the only user (wife doesn't bother) and I don't listen to different things in different rooms (always synched), so the issue doesn't really ever come up. There are differences between the Logitech app and Triode's app...perhaps multiusers/playing different songs is one of them.