Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aolsson
    • Mar 2012

Corrupt Flac

As I listened to one of the many (ALL CD:s now in system) albums I have ripped to the "FLAC" format it just sounded like crap.

Something like in the old vinyl days when the pickup did not quite make it into the grooves of the record. Lots of hissing and cracking noises.

Initial thought was something wrong with player, receiver or speakers. No other music played fine.

Listened to same track on computer - same terrible noise.

I ripped the same CD again with same software (winAmp) and now it sounds good again.

Is this something that others have come across? Could the reason be that I pushed my poor pc too hard by ripping so many albums without restarting it?
    Squeezebox Duet Yamaha 5.1 Rcvr Dali Zensor 7 + Zensor Vokal, Squeezebox Radio, (2nd) Squeezebox Duet Technics Rcvr B&O S45 Speakers. Zyxel NAS326 w 4 Tb Toshiba N300 drive.
  • garym
    • May 2008

Originally posted by aolsson
    As I listened to one of the many (ALL CD:s now in system) albums I have ripped to the "FLAC" format it just sounded like crap.

Something like in the old vinyl days when the pickup did not quite make it into the grooves of the record. Lots of hissing and cracking noises.

Initial thought was something wrong with player, receiver or speakers. No other music played fine.

Listened to same track on computer - same terrible noise.

I ripped the same CD again with same software (winAmp) and now it sounds good again.

Is this something that others have come across? Could the reason be that I pushed my poor pc too hard by ripping so many albums without restarting it?
    well with any rip there can be a bad rip. Not sure if winamp does secure ripping, but I've not seen it mentioned in the hundreds of recommendations on good rippers. Best to use EAC or dbpoweramp (so that you get the accuraterip check in most cases or at least a secure rip or feedback that there are errors). Many other rippers don't really tell you when the rip is not perfect. Could have been a later problem with copying the file and something going wrong. If you want to confirm that your files are OK in a batch way, you can encode to "Test Conversion" in dbpoweramp if you have this or you can use foobar2000 and the component "verify integrity". There are other methods as well for testing files.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• MrSinatra

i love winamp, but i don't use it for ripping. instead use EAC (free) or dbpoweramp.

Comment

Working...