PDA

View Full Version : Severely frustrated with new Asus RT-N66U router

gerryyf
2012-06-09, 19:07
I have a squeezebox duet system with two receivers that I have enjoyed for the past 2 years. It ran flawlessly once I had it set up. A month or so ago I decided to upgrade my router from a Linksys model to an ASUS RT-N66U "dark knight" model to acquire greater range to my lower level and the outside. This upgrade proved to be the answer to my range issues as I know have 4 bars anywhere in the house or outside. However, no matter what I do I CANNOT GET THE DAMN SQUEEZEBOX TO CONNECT TO MY WIRELESS NETWORK. I have tried the following steps: 1. I am running WPA personal encryption and I inputted the password at least 20 times with no success. I removed all encryption and it would not connect. I opened ports 3483, 9000, 9090, and 9092 with no luck. I keep getting the dreaded RED WIFI symbol on my controller no matter what I do. I inputted all my network info including the SSID from scratch with no luck. I updated the squeezebox server software with no success. I am currently at a loss as to why I cannot connect to my wireless network with this new router.

I would be extremely grateful for any advice on how to get my system back up and running.

w3wilkes
2012-06-09, 20:36
Do a full factory reset on the receiver and controller and set them up from scratch. Remember to hold the button on the front of the receiver long enough to get the fast red blink before you release it. There's plenty of references to how to reset the controller on this board.

alfista
2012-06-09, 20:51
I have an N66U router and my SB3 connected to WiFi w/o a hitch, no need to open any ports or any other fiddling with the router.
The router is set to WPA-Auto-Personal, TKIP+AES fot both 2.4 and 5 GHz. Also, if you have the guest network activated, make sure your SB stuff hasn't connected to that account.

Mnyb
2012-06-10, 00:00
I have an N66U router and my SB3 connected to WiFi w/o a hitch, no need to open any ports or any other fiddling with the router.
The router is set to WPA-Auto-Personal, TKIP+AES fot both 2.4 and 5 GHz. Also, if you have the guest network activated, make sure your SB stuff hasn't connected to that account.

Yes don't forget that the reciever and controller are 801.11g devices they won't work on an 80.11n only network , the router should have some setting for g+n mode ,but avoid b+g+n mode

gerryyf
2012-06-10, 13:19
Do a full factory reset on the receiver and controller and set them up from scratch. Remember to hold the button on the front of the receiver long enough to get the fast red blink before you release it. There's plenty of references to how to reset the controller on this board.

Thanks so much to all who replied. I did a factory reset of the controller and both receivers and it worked. I had trouble getting the controller to recognize the second receiver but eventually it worked. I also switched to WPA-Auto-Personal and not sure if that helped, but everything is working fine now.

Mnyb
2012-06-10, 13:54
Thanks so much to all who replied. I did a factory reset of the controller and both receivers and it worked. I had trouble getting the controller to recognize the second receiver but eventually it worked. I also switched to WPA-Auto-Personal and not sure if that helped, but everything is working fine now.

Very Good !

For further reference to others , when you do the setup of an receiver from scratch it is not yet connected to your network then the Controller talks directly to the reciever piont to piont (ad-hoc mode) .

it easy to forget that , this means that you should probably be standing close to the receiver you want to setup, it might not work that well from the other end of the house .

After the setup the communication is via your network and LMS server/mysqueeezebox.com as usual then reception and wifi quality is better than in adhoc mode (if you have a good router of course ) .
Controller talks to server server controls players .

Btw is this a good router ?

slate
2012-06-10, 14:52
yes it would be nice to hear some user experience....

smallnetbuilder had the usual mixed review of both the 56 and 66... but the throughput performance rocks.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31687-asus-rt-n66u-dark-knight-dual-band-wireless-n900-gigabit-router-reviewed

Viventis
2012-09-06, 13:07
yes it would be nice to hear some user experience....

smallnetbuilder had the usual mixed review of both the 56 and 66... but the throughput performance rocks.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31687-asus-rt-n66u-dark-knight-dual-band-wireless-n900-gigabit-router-reviewedI have the Asus RT-n56. Great all purpose router. It works flawlessly with my Touch, but I occassionally get the blue light on the Duet receiver.

hvb83
2012-09-23, 00:21
Check if you have an ip-conflict within your network then.