PDA

View Full Version : [Custom Browse] Incorrectly formed UTF-8

Towle
2011-12-10, 19:49
When creating and saving a menu in Custom Browse I get this error message when opening the file in TextWrangler (Mac): "Incorrectly formed UTF-8".

I have to correct the special danish characters (&aelig, &aring and &oslash) manually and save the document again.

Bug?

erland
2011-12-10, 23:44
When creating and saving a menu in Custom Browse I get this error message when opening the file in TextWrangler (Mac): "Incorrectly formed UTF-8".

I have to correct the special danish characters (&aelig, &aring and &oslash) manually and save the document again.

Bug?

You should edit the menus through Squeezebox Server web interface through "Settings/Advanced/Custom Browse" and either "Manageme menus" or "Manage header/footer" sections. If I remember correctly, the files are stored in ISO-8859-1 and this is probably why you get a warning in TextWrangler because the header of the files currently incorrectly says "utf-8". So I would advice you to just editing them in the SBS web interface instead. If you edit them in TextWrangler there is a risk they will be stored the incorrect way and not treated correctly later when they are used.

And before you ask, it would be better to store the files in UTF-8, it's just that I never figured out how to get this to work properly on both Windows, Linux and Mac with the SBS perl libraries used.