PDA

View Full Version : Issue with WMA Lossless on Ubuntu

FLMike
2011-10-04, 14:13
I had a feeling this might be an issue. My music is all in Windows Media Lossless format. I found a thread here : http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=88454&highlight=Windows+Media&page=3

which I reviewed. per recommendation, I installed the WMAPlay third party app and I think I followed all of the instructions. Still no joy. I know at one point that there was no support for WMA lossless on SB using Linux. Is this still the case? I see a Fluendo Windows Media Pack is available (for a fee). " These plug-ins automatically integrate with GStreamer, the multimedia framework that Ubuntu uses for video and sound applications." It has a lossless decoder. But I thought the decoding was actually done on the Squeezebox, not on the application level, so I am not sure this will help.

If there is no solution, I guess I am off to the ripping forum to start figuring out how to convert everything or just start re-ripping CDs LOL

Thanks,

Mike

bpa
2011-10-04, 14:54
Have you got a 64 bit kernel ?

Did you install the PlayWMA and the wma9dmod dll according to http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=501804&postcount=6

FLMike
2011-10-04, 15:04
I am running 64 Bit and just downloaded mplayer. I did get the WMA third party App, but the rest of this was not in the instructions. I will follow the instructions you posted and post back with results. Thanks so much for the link.

Mike

Mnyb
2011-10-04, 15:09
Was it not some ialib32 to install on64 bit ubuntu too ?
Or is that not required anymore ?
( time to get me a modern computer so I know )

bpa
2011-10-04, 15:15
Was it not some ialib32 to install on64 bit ubuntu too ?
Or is that not required anymore ?
( time to get me a modern computer so I know )

To get WMA Lossless on Ubuntu you need to use a Windows DLL (which may break the T&C's of the user's Windows license) - mplayer hooks into the Windows DLL using special magic as it is not a Linux library. The ia32libs fix is for Linux libraries

Mnyb
2011-10-04, 15:23
To get WMA Lossless on Ubuntu you need to use a Windows DLL (which may break the T&C's of the user's Windows license) - mplayer hooks into the Windows DLL using special magic as it is not a Linux library. The ia32libs fix is for Linux libraries

OK thats good to know .

32 bit support may come in handy anyway for other reasons

FLMike
2011-10-04, 15:37
I got the DLL file no problem, but the paths specified in the instructions are not present. They say that this may not work in a 64 bit application installation, so that may be why. I did look for a lib for mplayer in the 64 bit section, but I did not see anything that looked correct. So, I may be out of luck unless someone has some other ideas/pointers. Do you think that purchasing the package of drivers I mentioned previously is viable? Alternatively, I guess I am looking at re-rip or conversion.

bpa
2011-10-04, 16:50
The windows DLL is 32 bit and will not work on a 64 bit kernel even if mplayer was built for a 64 bit kernel.

The other libraries you locate work with GStreamer but I don't know any of any plugin which can take WMAL pass it through GStreamer and into SBS.

WMA Lossless is native on Touch and Radio but the older players SB3, Boom, Transporter and Receiver need transcoding by SBS server.

re-rip is the best solution.

FLMike
2011-10-04, 16:56
I was afraid of that. I suppose I could downgrade to a 32-bit OS, but I was really looking to finally move into 64 bit environment. Oh well, nothing like this is ever easy lol. I do appreciate the help.

Mike