PDA

View Full Version : Scanner Error Log



vwgtiturbo
2011-09-13, 12:46
Hello, I have been running SBS on a MyBook Live NAS for a bit, and it was working well. However, during a botched firmware update, I had to send the drive back to Western Digital and get a replacement. For some reason, I have yet to get SBS working on this new NAS, no matter what I try. I've tried various versions, from 7.4.x up to and including LMS 7.7, and ALL of the versions end up showing ZERO tracks after the post-install scan. I ensured that the music and playlist directories were not the same (referencing known bug) and really am lost at this point.

Permissions are set to 777 on the music directory, so it should be okay. One odd note is that when I selected the 'Music' directory during the initial setup, it never expanded that directory to show me the directories underneath it (e.g. the artist directory). With such open permissions, I'm not sure what the issue is.

What ends up happening is that a scan lasts 5 seconds (if that) and the scan status shows http://deagle.us/ScanStatus.png.

If I go to the error log, it mentions the following error: http://deagle.us/ScannerError.png.

After SSH'ing into the NAS and using VI to open the referenced file, here is the section that the error references: http://deagle.us/ReferencedSnippet.png.

I know nothing about Perl, but does anyone have any ideas what on earth this is trying to do? I would be forever grateful for a simple push in the right direction, because as of now, even Google can't help. Thanks!

JJZolx
2011-09-13, 13:02
If nothing else, shut down the server, clear all files from the cache and then restart the server. When restarted, the server should automatically begin a full library scan.

vwgtiturbo
2011-09-13, 13:12
After doing that, the scan ran for 8 seconds (instead of 3) but the result is exactly the same. I thought that maybe it had something to do with not recognizing Apple Lossless files, but I DID have it running on this model NAS before returning the original, and I STILL have it running on a regular computer (although it isn't the newest version).

Ugh...

JJZolx
2011-09-13, 13:17
After doing that, the scan ran for 8 seconds (instead of 3) but the result is exactly the same. I thought that maybe it had something to do with not recognizing Apple Lossless files, but I DID have it running on this model NAS before returning the original, and I STILL have it running on a regular computer (although it isn't the newest version).

Is the library all ALAC, or a mix? If it's a mix try moving all of the ALAC files out of the library and rescan. If that's too much work, try testing it with just a small test library of non-ALAC files.

vwgtiturbo
2011-09-13, 18:24
Okie dokie... The "Music" directory is a mix of ALAC and MP3 (probably 16k ALAC tracks and 200-300 MP3s). I created a new directory in "Music" and copied some MP3s to it. I rescanned, with the same negative results. Then, I tried to set the "TEST" directory as the main music folder, to do another rescan, HOWEVER, the included file browser will not expand the "Music" directory in order to see the "TEST" directory (or the 500 artist directories, for that matter). It almost behaves like the user (squeezeboxserver, I assume) doesn't have execute permissions on the "Music" directory, but the permissions for that directory and all of it's subdirectories is 777.

I am baffled by the Perl error...

JJZolx
2011-09-13, 18:31
SBS shouldn't need either execute or write privileges on the Music folder, just read access. Do all of the subdirectories and files in that directory have the same permissions?

Can other directories on the system be browsed by SBS, and have you tried moving the test directory outside of the Music directory that can't be browsed?

vwgtiturbo
2011-09-13, 20:53
I figured that the "Music" folder would require execute permissions (so that users can open the directories below it) so I just changed everything to hopefully avoid a permissions problem.

So, I followed your advice and moved the "TEST" directory (with one MP3, and a bogus directory structure under it) up one level (instead of being under the "Music" share directory, it is now directly under the "Shares" directory). Lo and behold, the SBS settings can NOW see the "TEST" directory, AND the subdirectories within that I created. I set the music folder to be this "TEST" directory, and performed a scan. The scanner worked as it should, picking up the one MP3. Now, the tricky part...

Just for giggles, I tried to set the server's music folder to be another random folder that is a network share via SMB (only because I know that some of these folders have subdirectories). In any of these attempts, the file browser (used to select the server's music folder location and/or playlist location) could not see into the directories. It was only seeing the top level directory (e.g. the network share name, like "Documents", "Miscellaneous", etc.). It never showed the directories underneath.

I reviewed the permissions once AGAIN, and everything is still okay, but just to be sure, I ran "chmod -R 777 *". Same results... File browser cannot see into the subdirectories.

In a nutshell, it appears that any share folder that I used the NAS's web UI to create, will not allow access, REGARDLESS of the file permissions on said folder and the files it contains. I don't know if there is something else in the OS (Deb Lenny) that can override the file permissions, but I didn't file any secret squirrel config files when I ran "ls -a" in each of the share directories.

Thanks for the patience and help with this. You've gotten me on the right track! I just need to figure out what can be overriding these settings, and decide if I should just move all of the music to the "Public" directory to avoid this hassle.