PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Bloomberg?

jisner
2011-09-03, 07:31
I have two Squeezebox radios and listen almost exclusively to Bloomberg Radio(bloomberg.com). For the last two days, Squeezebox has been giving me 404 (can't connect) or 503 (service unavailable) errors. I can listen to the station on my computer, so I know the fault does not lie with bloomberg.com. Is anyone else having this problem? Help, I can't live without this station!

abw
2011-09-06, 04:30
We have the same problem on both our (older and newer) Squeezeboxes.

I also cannot play the stream at http://www.bloomberg.com/streams/audio/radio_live_a.asx

Admittedly, I'm in Safari on a Mac, but I rarely have problems listening to Bloomberg's stream there. Maybe it's a larger Bloomberg problem that hasn't been fixed over the holiday weekend?

This stream alone is a reason to have a Squeezebox.

castalla
2011-09-06, 04:57
Somebody needs to extract the stream url from the Flash wrapper at the Bloomberg site.

It's not a Squeezebox issue - other radios have lost Bloomberg Radio too.

-unquote

Debatable!

garym
2011-09-06, 05:17
Somebody needs to extract the stream url from the Flash wrapper at the Bloomberg site.

It's not a Squeezebox issue - other radios have lost Bloomberg Radio too.

-unquote

Debatable!

Yes, not a sb issue. I hate it when radio stations convert to an embedded flash player. They basically assume that everyone listens on the computer and are often clueless about the rest of us. Sometimes they can be contacted with this info and will occasionally go to the trouble of providing a streamable URL.

regarding bloomberg radio as a good choice. To each their own. I'm sure my own favorite stations would be noise to others around here (and vice versa).

abw
2011-09-06, 07:02
BTW, I agree on the "to each his own" point. I should have said "For me, Boomberg is enough reason ...."

As a longtime user of SB, but new to this board: is this stream/stable url problem the kind of thing that reconciles itself, or do I need to do anything about it?

garym
2011-09-06, 07:04
BTW, I agree on the "to each his own" point. I should have said "For me, Boomberg is enough reason ...."

As a longtime user of SB, but new to this board: is this stream/stable url problem the kind of thing that reconciles itself, or do I need to do anything about it?

it doesn't reconcile itself because it has nothing to do with squeezebox. Bloomberg has changed the way it streams, expecting one to use the website flash player only. I tried to stream it on other players unrelated to squeezebox, and the old stream doesn't work any more. As I said, this sometimes happens when radio stations up and change the way they stream. Again, they are typically clueless because they assume everyone listens via computer browser...

bwaldron
2011-09-06, 07:56
Sometimes the station owners aren't clueless -- they know people are listening in other ways (internet radios, smartphone apps like TuneIn) and don't like it. They want people to see the ads in their flash players, and consider alienating us as collateral damage.

garym
2011-09-06, 07:57
Sometimes the station owners aren't clueless -- they know people are listening in other ways (internet radios, smartphone apps like TuneIn) and don't like it. They want people to see the ads in their flash players, and consider alienating us as collateral damage.

good point.

Goodsounds
2011-09-06, 10:23

Your view of their motivation seems unlikely to me. You're talking about RADIO stations - the majority of people use car radios (whether over the air or satellite) and radios at work. They don't see visual ads at all.

Internet streaming must represent a pretty small (but growing) percentage of listeners. Those using non-PC devices are thus a small percentage of a small percentage. Execs at stations who make these kinds of decisions have many factors in mind. Or, many may view it as something trivial and just go with what their IT or corporate advisers say. Don't view it as a conspiracy against your listening preference.

Maybe someone here works in the radio industry and can comment.

aubuti
2011-09-06, 11:42
Your view of their motivation seems unlikely to me. You're talking about RADIO stations - the majority of people use car radios (whether over the air or satellite) and radios at work. They don't see visual ads at all.
I'm not in the radio industry, but the "majority" of listeners are not the target here -- the "marginal" listeners are. The majority may not see the pc-based ads, but at least the advertisers believe that enough people do see the PC ads to make it worth their while to pay for them, over and above what they pay for commercials on broadcast radio. Advertisers generally pay more for larger audiences, and presumably Bloomberg measures their web traffic (as imperfect as such measurements are) when setting web advertising rates.

That's not to say that there aren't other factors at play, or that it couldn't be simply agreeing to what their IT folks recommend. But Bloomberg does have a financial interest in doing it this way. And having to pay for content via inflicted advertising hardly constitutes a conspiracy.

jisner
2011-09-06, 13:35
Maybe it's a larger Bloomberg problem that hasn't been fixed over the holiday weekend?

I think it was a planned but unpublicized change, not a bug. Bloomberg has been promoting their debut on SiriusXM Channel 113 since August. If you go to Bloomberg.com/radio, you'll see the ad in in the right column.

If you follow economics, markets and financial news, nothing beats Bloomberg. Wall Street insiders tune to it 24h a day. If you're not interested in those things, Bloomberg could definitely be pretty boring.

I emailed SeriusXM. They have a "Premium SiriusXM Internet Radio" subscription that costs $12.95 a month. With the Squeezebox SiriusXM app installed, this would be an option, but a costly one. Of course you would get many other channels in addition to Bloomberg, and they would all be commercial-free.

Hopefully someone in this forum (or at Logitech? or Tunein? or Bloomberg?) will come up with a solution before I commit to SiriusXM.

acr-ted
2011-09-06, 13:52
I just got an email back from Bloomberg and they said

"LOG: 9/ 6/11 16:20:47 Bloomberg Feedback Team
Hello:
Bloomberg online radio is not available via Squeezebox. It is available only
at:
http://www.bloomberg.com/radio/

Sincerely,
Bloomberg.com Feedback Team"

They have just lost a listener with this kind of attitude.

FWIW, some of the business stations listed in the Squeezebox menu do carry parts of the Bloomberg broadcast. One is WNN Business 550 in Rhode Island. They do carry the early morning part of the Bloomberg broadcast which is the part I am mostly interested in. When I wake up in the early morning it is good to hear what is going on in Europe and what the US futures are doing.

Ted

garym
2011-09-06, 13:54
I think it was a planned but unpublicized change, not a bug. Bloomberg has been promoting their debut on SiriusXM Channel 113 since August. If you go to Bloomberg.com/radio, you'll see the ad in in the right column.

If you follow economics, markets and financial news, nothing beats Bloomberg. Wall Street insiders tune to it 24h a day. If you're not interested in those things, Bloomberg could definitely be pretty boring.

I emailed SeriusXM. They have a "Premium SiriusXM Internet Radio" subscription that costs $12.95 a month. With the Squeezebox SiriusXM app installed, this would be an option, but a costly one. Of course you would get many other channels in addition to Bloomberg, and they would all be commercial-free.

Hopefully someone in this forum (or at Logitech? or Tunein? or Bloomberg?) will come up with a solution before I commit to SiriusXM.

yep, I can get it via my siriusXM on squeezeboxes. Of course I wouldn't bother with SiriusXM for just home...but since I have it in my car and my wife and I listen quite a bit in the car, the extra for internet streaming wasn't bad....

castalla
2011-09-06, 14:03
I think the underlying stream is rtmpt://cp87869.live.edgefcs.net/live%3Cbreak%3Ebbr@21885

Goodness knows how to play that!

jisner
2011-09-06, 16:03
I just got an email back from Bloomberg and they said

"LOG: 9/ 6/11 16:20:47 Bloomberg Feedback Team
Hello:
Bloomberg online radio is not available via Squeezebox. It is available only
at:
http://www.bloomberg.com/radio/

Sincerely,
Bloomberg.com Feedback Team"

They have just lost a listener with this kind of attitude.

FWIW, some of the business stations listed in the Squeezebox menu do carry parts of the Bloomberg broadcast. One is WNN Business 550 in Rhode Island. They do carry the early morning part of the Bloomberg broadcast which is the part I am mostly interested in. When I wake up in the early morning it is good to hear what is going on in Europe and what the US futures are doing.

Ted

I got a similar (un)response from Bloomberg when I emailed them.

Thanks for the pointer to WNN. I'll check it out tomorrow morning.

jisner
2011-09-06, 18:01

Ted

The call letters are actually WBZS (not WNN). FYI use "Business550" to search for the station on your Squeezebox. Very good indeed! On weekdays, Business550 carries Bloomberg Surveillance, On the Economy, and Taking Stock. On weekends, it carries virtually all of Bloomberg's weekend programming.

acr-ted
2011-09-06, 19:47
WNN is what showed in the LCD screen on my Squeezebox! I guess I didn't look close enough at the other info, but I am glad that this source may work for you. I know I was happy to find this station, and I set it into the pre-set that I had used for BBR. I remember some time ago that Bloomberg disappeared for a while, and I found some station in New Hampshire that carried BBR, but they seem to have disappeared as well.

WBZS also carries "Live from London" and "The First Word" as well.

It does seem strange that BBR would cut off their on-line listeners - maybe because they have a deal with XM? They have been on XM for some time (I think channel 121??) and then moved to 113. I did have XM at one time, but I dropped my XM subscription when I got the Squeezebox.

Glad to be of help to you...

Ted

redrotors
2011-09-06, 22:26
Have you guys tried 1130 am out of NYC? It's Bloomberg radio (WBBR) out of NYC and is on tunein.

I think there is a way to extract the stream from the flash player on the BBR site, hoping someone w/more skills will see this and might help you out with this.

Does this stream work for you? (copy and paste to favorites at mysqueezebox.com)
http://www.bloomberg.com/streams/audio/radio_live.asx
or
mms://a20.l2489857694.c24898.n.lm.akamaistream.net/D/20/24898/v0001/reflector:57694
or
mms://a888.l2489858360.c24898.n.lm.akamaistream.net/D/888/24898/v0001/reflector:58360

May have to resort to something like what this guy did to capture the stream URL?
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=652639&postcount=76
http://www.toofishes.net/blog/streamtheworld-streams-command-line/

Would anything here help extract the stream URL?
http://softwaretopic.informer.com/extract-stream-url-flash/

toby10
2011-09-07, 04:32
I'd suspect it is no coincidence that Bloomberg has signed onto Sirius and now non-Sirius streaming is prohibited, other than Bloombergs own online embedded web player.
Likely a licensing restriction with their Sirius contract.

sera
2011-09-07, 10:06
I am not using Squeezebox but TuneIn radio app on Android and same thing happened to me. It says stream is not compatible. While searching I landed on this forum.

I think this might work for you. Bloomberg is also streamed via 1070 AM. Call sign WTWK. http://www.wtwk1070.com/

Stream url: mms://nebcastwest.dyndns.org/wtwkam

acr-ted
2011-09-07, 15:29
Redroters,

That url does not work either! It seems like BBR has cut off everything except their owen embedded player, likely account licensing rules by XM. However, BBR has been on XM for years so I guess when BBR moved to XM 113 things changed.

Sera,

Thanks for the info on the wtwk1070 station...apparently there are a few other stations streaming BBR so that will work for now. But I wonder if BBR will cut them off as well??

Ted

IRJ
2011-09-10, 14:33
It doesn't make sense to me that I can tune into Bloomberg radio from ANY PC and yet cannot listen to it via any of my SB Players.

Now I doubt that anybody on the planet will run out and spend the money on Sirius radio merely to get BBR. So all it does is reduce viewership for Bloomberg.

castalla
2011-09-10, 15:32
There are millions of PC users - how many internet radio users?

stechert
2011-09-15, 09:46
Hello from Bloomberg!

Please accept my apologies for any frustration we may have caused with the changes we made recently to the Windows Media streams for Bloomberg Radio and TV. What's going on is that we've been in a year-long process of upgrading our web audio and video streams to higher quality formats (both Flash and HTML5, with higher bit rates, adaptive bit rate support, mobile support, etc.).

At some point, it was time to decommission the old infrastructure, so we did that. Unfortunately, we were unaware of the usage by (and don't have any syndication deal with) the Squeezebox folks.

Our programming is still available at http://www.bloomberg.com/radio/ and we do hope you continue to tune in, but we also hope you understand the goal of providing the highest audio and video quality...

If anyone here is from Logitech, I can put you in touch with our head of syndication.

Cheers,
Andre Stechert

castalla
2011-09-15, 10:06
If you can provide a webpage feed then simply give us a direct stream - I for one can't see the point sitting staring at a PC stream when I have an internet radio to LISTEN to.

redrotors
2011-09-15, 22:59
About as useless an answer as CBS. Either they don't get it, don't want to get it or are making some attempt to wring money out of something that they think they can wring money from. They won't and will lose many listeners. So very stupid, clueless, foolish........ Which one or all?

toby10
2011-09-16, 03:11
That's all well and good and I get that you are restructuring for a more video centric visual experience. But it seems silly to not also supply a simple audio only stream as well. Make it 32k, doesn't matter considering the content.

I highly doubt Logitech is going to bother getting into licensing issues with Bloomberg, especially not if you are asking for licensing fees. Nor are the SqueezeBox players capable of natively streaming your chosen streaming formats (that I know of).

What stream aggregators are all of your streams available on? IHeartRadio? StreamTheWorld? vTuner? Reciva? Live365? ShoutCast?
If any, in what format??? This would be a more logical route for Logitech to pursue than licensing directly with Bloomberg itself.

Antilope
2011-10-17, 00:20
Bloomberg TV audio
http://www.bloomberg.com/streams/video/LiveBTV200.asxx

piotrw
2011-12-01, 17:25
Hello from Bloomberg!

Please accept my apologies for (...)

Our programming is still available at http://www.bloomberg.com/radio/ and we do hope you continue to tune in, but we also hope you understand the goal of providing the highest audio and video quality...

If anyone here is from Logitech, I can put you in touch with our head of syndication.

Cheers,
Andre Stechert

I shall not accept an apology. nonsense excuses. Squeezebox is the world's most popular device for receiving Internet radio in the classic way. streaming is possible 64kb wma or mp3 and this is definitely enough to transmit broadcasts spoken. excluding streaming lose customers. iPad is no substitute for audio streaming infrastructure throughout the apartment. Government to restore Squeezebox streaming. adapt to market needs rather than try and modify the behavior of customers. This break will cost you the loss of a large number of recipients.

IRJ
2011-12-09, 13:08
Hello from Bloomberg!

Please accept my apologies for any frustration we may have caused with the changes we made recently to the Windows Media streams for Bloomberg Radio and TV. What's going on is that we've been in a year-long process of upgrading our web audio and video streams to higher quality formats (both Flash and HTML5, with higher bit rates, adaptive bit rate support, mobile support, etc.).

At some point, it was time to decommission the old infrastructure, so we did that. Unfortunately, we were unaware of the usage by (and don't have any syndication deal with) the Squeezebox folks.

Cheers,
Andre Stechert

Andre,

Just read your reply.
I am confused re your reply as to why your new streaming is not compatible with an internet radio. Why would you ignore this whole growing market?
To consider it the duty of each individual manufacturer, of internet radios, to call you to sign separate deals is extremely customer unfriendly. Why would you knowingly have this is a goal? i.e. You now know about the issue, but still choose to do nothing until manufacturers call you... Doesn't make sense.
The fall out is that the ONLY loser is Bloomberg... As now I and others have ceased listening to BBR.

I classify your approach as akin to what Netflix recently did in upping the cost of Streaming+ DVDs by 100% and saying we did it because we can. i.e. you and they are treating customers with disrespect. When you do this BBR is the only loser (I cancelled Netflix by the way as I did not want to do business with an arrogant provider).

So Andre the ball is in your court. If, as you say, the blocking of your stream was an "accident", as none of you knew internet radios existed, then it is up to you to reach out and find a way of streaming to these devices which will soon number in the hundreds of thousands, then millions.

IRJ
2012-08-29, 11:12
Hello from Bloomberg!

Cheers,
Andre Stechert

Almost a year on and Bloomberg offers OTA, Siruis and an iphone app on no solution for us.