PDA

View Full Version : SB Touch dropping connection

dimitris77
2010-09-07, 11:51
I have received my SB touch and been playing with it for a few months now. Overall i am not happy so far since it keeps dropping connection to my laptop. The way it happens is that i will start listening to one song and when i try to go to another folder and look at other albums the music will stop and it also freeze when i try to move from song to the other. I checked the firmware and its the latest version. I use windows 7 and have my music stored on a NAS. Anyone has any recommendations what to do with it? Should i return it? All my music is in FLAC format and is in one folder (around 2000 songs).

toby10
2010-09-07, 12:17
Are any of these devices using WiFi? If so, which ones? If Touch is on WiFi what is the signal strength?
Are you using a router to connect all of these devices?

dimitris77
2010-09-07, 12:23
Yes everything is on wifi. NAS is connected via wireless router to my laptop and SB touch wirelessly to my laptop. I havent checked the signal strenght but i would say average since wireless router and NAS are located downstairs and my SB touch are upstairs. I love the device and the sound but its pretty unreliable. I use a coaxial cable to feed my Esoteric DAC. Should I try moving the music on another hard drive and plug it in directly to the SB touch?

Phil Leigh
2010-09-07, 12:26
Something has to be wired to the router - you have multiple wireless "hops" - this is a recipe for disappointment.
Really for a stable environment you want the NAS wired to the router and ideally also the Touch (or the laptop, but I guess that isn't going to work for you).

At the very least, wire the NAS to the router.

dimitris77
2010-09-07, 12:28
Yes the NAS is wired to the router. Is it possible that the folder size is too big for the SB to scan quickly? I used the old SB 3 in a similar setup and i never had any issues.

Phil Leigh
2010-09-07, 12:35
Yes the NAS is wired to the router. Is it possible that the folder size is too big for the SB to scan quickly? I used the old SB 3 in a similar setup and i never had any issues.

It's definitely not a folder size problem.

I think it's because you have a mixture of 2 problems:
1) The Laptop (where SBS is running?) has to talk over the wi-fi network to the NAS
2) The Touch has to talk over wi-fi to the SBS Laptop...

As a test, try wiring the laptop to the router and see if the problem goes away.

dimitris77
2010-09-07, 12:41
It's definitely not a folder size problem.

I think it's because you have a mixture of 2 problems:
1) The Laptop (where SBS is running?) has to talk over the wi-fi network to the NAS
2) The Touch has to talk over wi-fi to the SBS Laptop...

As a test, try wiring the laptop to the router and see if the problem goes away.

Thank you. I will try tonight. I am also using Pandora extensively and it didn't seem to have any issues running. Is it possible that i need a faster router? My current one is a WRT54G.

toby10
2010-09-07, 12:52
Thank you. I will try tonight. I am also using Pandora extensively and it didn't seem to have any issues running. Is it possible that i need a faster router? My current one is a WRT54G.

WRT54G is a good router, I doubt replacing it would help much.
Pandora is only 128k and basically streams direct to the player, so that is why it streams "reliably" vs your local music in FLAC over a double WiFi hop.

I'd try Phil's suggestion to temporarily wire the PC to the router. This way only your player is using WiFi, see if that clears up the issue.
If it does then there are some basic WiFi "tweaks" to try before giving up on WiFi. But any double WiFi hop is asking for trouble. :(

dimitris77
2010-09-10, 06:23
I wired my laptop to my router yesterday and it seems to have made a difference. I still get delays switching from one album to the next but its less bad now. Maybe I will try an external drive directly to Touch since moving my router upstairs is impossible at the moment.

toby10
2010-09-10, 06:45
What is the signal strength of the WiFi on your Touch?
Touch > Settings > Advanced > SB Information > Touch

A couple of quick WiFi tweaking tips:
- in the routers Admin functions > WiFi > set to G only mode
- move router and/or re-orient antennas for better coverage to the Touch location
- with your laptop's WiFi screens, see what other networks are around you, particularly what channel they are broadcasting on (1 or 6 or 11).
If the nearest (strongest) signal coming from a neighbors WiFi is ch 6, then change your WiFi ch to either 1 or 11.
If your included WiFi program does not show BOTH ch #'s and signal strength of available networks then you may need a third party program to see this info.
For Windows NetStumbler is the most common free program (no idea what to use for a MAC computer).