PDA

View Full Version : Line out: Very low level

pepe4711
2010-08-23, 04:23
Hi;

hope someone here can give me any hints to solve this one. Mayby my plan is crap.

Here my plan:
For my kitchen i bought a sb boom. So far so great. To have a better sound i planned to connect an active pc speaker set to the line-out of the squeezox and place that in another corner of my kitchen. Both speakers should be active, internal and external.

Now my problem:
The output level from my Boom is verly low. When my speaker system ist turned up to 100% it has the same level as the boom, but als some noise, since its completely turned up.

Is this normal? For my understanding a line out should always give the same level, but in this case its level is controley by the volume control of the boom. The speaker system ist a medium one from crative which is usually bis enough for a room like my kitchen.Connected to my ipod it is quite loud. I already asked logitech about this twice. First resonse was, that the problem is caused by the speakers beeing from crative, not logitech ;-) Second request was never answered.

Hope you can give me any hint.

Greetz,
pepe

Phil Leigh
2010-08-23, 04:30
Hi;

hope someone here can give me any hints to solve this one. Mayby my plan is crap.

Here my plan:
For my kitchen i bought a sb boom. So far so great. To have a better sound i planned to connect an active pc speaker set to the line-out of the squeezox and place that in another corner of my kitchen. Both speakers should be active, internal and external.

Now my problem:
The output level from my Boom is verly low. When my speaker system ist turned up to 100% it has the same level as the boom, but als some noise, since its completely turned up.

Is this normal? For my understanding a line out should always give the same level, but in this case its level is controley by the volume control of the boom. The speaker system ist a medium one from crative which is usually bis enough for a room like my kitchen.Connected to my ipod it is quite loud. I already asked logitech about this twice. First resonse was, that the problem is caused by the speakers beeing from crative, not logitech ;-) Second request was never answered.

Hope you can give me any hint.

Greetz,
pepe

the line out level is 50% by default - you can change that in the boom settings

garym
2010-08-23, 04:34
There is a setting in the Boom for line-in volume (settings>audio>line in volume). I know it is set to only 50% as a default. Not sure if you can set the lineout volume of the Boom. But it is true that with a SB player connected to active speakers, that you can control the volume with either the volume on the player or the volume on the speaker. Perhaps you should set the boom volume to 100% then control volume from the speaker volume control. I'm surprised you can't get enough volume from that. With my touch connected to audioengine A5s, with Touch volume at 100%, I can't turn the speaker volume to greater than about 1/4 (or a bit higher) of potential volume without it sounding like front row at a rock concert!

pepe4711
2010-08-23, 04:45
hi,

for the line out level i found some settings within mysqueezebox.com in db which is set to 0db, and that should be the max.

I planned to get sound from the boom, and have the external speakers as support in the other corner. From the external speakers I get the same volume as from the boom, but only if the external speakers are compleatly cranked up, which leads to some backgound noise.

I think my solution would be to control the volume for the boom and its "line-out" seperately, but i think this is not possible, right?

Phil Leigh
2010-08-23, 04:58
hi,

for the line out level i found some settings within mysqueezebox.com in db which is set to 0db, and that should be the max.

I planned to get sound from the boom, and have the external speakers as support in the other corner. From the external speakers I get the same volume as from the boom, but only if the external speakers are compleatly cranked up, which leads to some backgound noise.

I think my solution would be to control the volume for the boom and its "line-out" seperately, but i think this is not possible, right?

Apologies - I got my wires crossed...
The line out level is determined only by the Boom volume control. You cannot change it seperately.
There should be LOTS of level to drive your active speakers.
What model are your active speakers?

pepe4711
2010-08-23, 05:13
I have these ones:

http://www.amazon.de/Creative-Inspire-T2900-2-1-PC-Lautsprechersystem/dp/B0000CFI1N

but also tried others with same result

garym
2010-08-23, 05:15
Something is wrong here. A thought. The Boom has a Subwoofer output as well. Make sure that you don't have that output jack set to be the subwoofer in your audio settings. If so, this would likely result in what sounds like very low volume.

pepe4711
2010-08-23, 06:14
the output is set to "always on" with the sub out config I get same volume just only low frequencies

garym
2010-08-23, 06:16
the output is set to "always on" with the sub out config I get same volume just only low frequencies

the low volume issue seems odd. But I've never tried to use line out from the Boom for external speakers. But from SB3, TOUCH, DUET RECEIVER, and TRANSPORTER I can say that I get plenty of line out volume!

Phil Leigh
2010-08-23, 06:30
I have my Boom line out permanently connect to a Creative sub and there is masses of level... very odd.