PDA

View Full Version : Can I use the Transporter to upsample on-the-fly?

VirusKiller
2010-08-13, 06:49
e.g. With SoX?

Does the TP have enough processing power to upsample 44.1 -> 88.2 and 48 -> 96?

Or could this be done on the server (on-the-fly)?

Please no "why would you want to do that" comments.

Apologies if this is embedded elsewhere on the forum - I couldn't find it.

funkstar
2010-08-13, 07:20
The transporter itself will not do anything like that, it simply does not have the processing power.

You would need to configure SOX to do this on the server. There has been other threads about this, have a search about.

VirusKiller
2010-08-13, 07:30
Thanks. I've just discovered the transcoding sub-forum. :rolleyes:

Out of interest, does the Touch have the processing power?

One more question, presumably if the TP has the power to decode FLAC on-the-fly, it could do the opposite? Not that I want to encode FLAC, but if say I wanted the audio to be output in a manufacturer's proprietry encryption format (for my use only), would it be possible?

Teus de Jong
2010-08-13, 08:02
Out of interest, does the Touch have the processing power?
No.

One more question, presumably if the TP has the power to decode FLAC on-the-fly, it could do the opposite? Not that I want to encode FLAC, but if say I wanted the audio to be output in a manufacturer's proprietry encryption format (for my use only), would it be possible?
Again no. FLAC-compression is by design very asymmetric: it takes quite some power to compress, but very little to decompress.

VirusKiller
2010-08-13, 08:18
No. Thank you. Having just bought a TP, that's a relief!

Again no. FLAC-compression is by design very asymmetric: it takes quite some power to compress, but very little to decompress. That makes perfect sense, but does raise some other questions that I will ask in the encoding/transcoding forum.

Thanks again.