PDA

View Full Version : Being forced to upgrade to 7.5.0r867!?

OppfinnarJocke
2010-04-06, 13:14
Currently my Duet remote is showing a message about "Software Update, A new update is available. It may take a few minutes to download and install this update", and I get only the options to "Begin update (7.5.0r867)" or "Help". The Help option brings me only the message that I can get help on MySB.com, and that if visiting customer support I may be asked to provide info from the Diagnostics screen.

And I cannot back out of this page.

Well... I do not f***** want any of that just now!

Please do that in the middle of the night or whenever the system is idle. I just want my remote to show the Now Playing page with the artwork. Do not f***** mess with my devices while I am using them, thank you!!

This p***** me off big time...

EDIT: Nowadays I usually try to be polite on forums like this, but as you can see above, I sort of lost my manners... But I really think this approach is stupid. We (well, at least I) are using the devices and we do not sit around eagerly awaiting the next SW upgrade. Upgrading should be two things: invisible, meaning they should occur whenever the system is idle, say the local 04:00 or something, and invisible, meaning they should not be noticeable after they have actually installed, no more "you have updated" as was the case with the next-to-last update IIRC; and definitely not introduce new default behavior (bugs!) that were not there before the upgrade. No way...!

bklaas
2010-04-06, 13:37
Currently my Duet remote is showing a message about "Software Update, A new update is available. It may take a few minutes to download and install this update", and I get only the options to "Begin update (7.5.0r867)" or "Help". The Help option brings me only the message that I can get help on MySB.com, and that if visiting customer support I may be asked to provide info from the Diagnostics screen.

And I cannot back out of this page.

Well... I do not f***** want any of that just now!

Please do that in the middle of the night or whenever the system is idle. I just want my remote to show the Now Playing page with the artwork. Do not f***** mess with my devices while I am using them, thank you!!

This p***** me off big time...

EDIT: Nowadays I usually try to be polite on forums like this, but as you can see above, I sort of lost my manners... But I really think this approach is stupid. We (well, at least I) are using the devices and we do not sit around eagerly awaiting the next SW upgrade. Upgrading should be two things: invisible, meaning they should occur whenever the system is idle, say the local 04:00 or something, and invisible, meaning they should not be noticeable after they have actually installed, no more "you have updated" as was the case with the next-to-last update IIRC; and definitely not introduce new default behavior (bugs!) that were not there before the upgrade. No way...!

press and hold the back arrow.

OppfinnarJocke
2010-04-06, 13:39
press and hold the back arrow.

Thanks... in slightly better mode now :)

snarlydwarf
2010-04-06, 13:41

Do one of the following:
turn off automatic software updates. This is on Settings/Advanced/Software Updates. Now you won't be notified of new server software.

don't run nightlies. 7.5.0 until a couple hours ago was only available as a nightly snapshot. Snapshots change all the time, that's their point. If you don't want updates, don't run a server that changes daily that has firmware that changes sometimes more often than that.

OppfinnarJocke
2010-04-06, 13:55
Do one of the following:
turn off automatic software updates. This is on Settings/Advanced/Software Updates. Now you won't be notified of new server software.

don't run nightlies. 7.5.0 until a couple hours ago was only available as a nightly snapshot. Snapshots change all the time, that's their point. If you don't want updates, don't run a server that changes daily that has firmware that changes sometimes more often than that.

"Nightlies"? The server is MySB.com...

snarlydwarf
2010-04-06, 14:07
"Nightlies"? The server is MySB.com...

That would be why I said "until a couple hours ago"

MySB.Com runs the current software release which is now 7.5.0.

As for scheduling such things to only be in the middle of the night: define that in a meaningful way, considering not only the worldwide user base but also that not everyone works/sleeps the same hours.

Do you get this nasty when Windows Update does it's thing, which takes substantially more than two minutes to update and interrupts far more (and even when you turn the thing off, it sneaks itself back on, and loves popping up modal dialogues of "Are you ready to reboot?" stealing keyboard focus so it you happen to hit return at the wrong instant, your machine reboots)?

Software updates should be visible: it's a very useful diagnostic tool. "Did anything change in the last week?" "No. Well, except Windows Update changed my browser to IE8..."

And yes, I found your *'d out fbombs to be offensive and completely counterproductive.

BananaHeads
2010-04-06, 14:35
Just do the upgrade and sing while you're waiting. What's the big deal.

dennis55
2010-04-06, 20:00
+1

that would be why i said "until a couple hours ago"

mysb.com runs the current software release which is now 7.5.0.

As for scheduling such things to only be in the middle of the night: Define that in a meaningful way, considering not only the worldwide user base but also that not everyone works/sleeps the same hours.

Do you get this nasty when windows update does it's thing, which takes substantially more than two minutes to update and interrupts far more (and even when you turn the thing off, it sneaks itself back on, and loves popping up modal dialogues of "are you ready to reboot?" stealing keyboard focus so it you happen to hit return at the wrong instant, your machine reboots)?

Software updates should be visible: It's a very useful diagnostic tool. "did anything change in the last week?" "no. Well, except windows update changed my browser to ie8..."

and yes, i found your *'d out fbombs to be offensive and completely counterproductive.

OppfinnarJocke
2010-04-06, 22:23
As for scheduling such things to only be in the middle of the night: define that in a meaningful way, considering not only the worldwide user base but also that not everyone works/sleeps the same hours.

Well, I did talk about "local time" and I did say "idle". I think that suffices...

Do you get this nasty when Windows Update does it's thing,

Yes...

And yes, I found your *'d out fbombs to be offensive and completely counterproductive.

Apologies for that. I could have expressed myself more politely, you are right about that.

malaugh
2010-04-07, 08:06
Same thing happened to me. I have automatic updates turned off on the server, but Squeezecenter turned on my NAS, updated itself, did not turn the NAS back off, then asked me to update the controller.

Why doesn't updates off mean updates off?

OppfinnarJocke
2010-04-09, 11:03
I knew I shouldn't have gone through with this upgrade, stupid me... Since 7.5 access to MySB.com has been more than erratic... just now my Duet controller is bricked! I can (luckily!) log on to MySB.com from my laptop and use the remote control there to manage the stream, but the controller is useless and have been all evening.

Time for some more *'s to express my feelings...

OleRas
2010-04-09, 11:38
Hi

Hm, After upgrade to FW 7.5.0 nothing work at all :( It not possible to connect to mysqueezebox.com, and not to the local server running on my PC.

Acces to the mysqueezebox.com is extremly slow, it looks like it's overloaded. - when doing a dianostic in the the local server it tells that there is no acces on port 9000 (HTTP) on 89.202.121.131

so i think this problem is on mysqueezebox.com.

I hope this will be fixed soon as possible, for the moment nothing work :(

Im' wery new in this, i shopped my Squeezebox equipment for about a week ago, and until now it has not worket correct...

doubledrop
2010-05-26, 10:07
I've been stuck in the 'controller update' dialogue box for days now, couldn't see how to escape, pressing the back arrow with no joy. Luckily just read in this thread to PRESS AND HOLD the arrow, doh. But I shouldn't have to be researching forums on how to use something I've owned for so long.

Why do Logitech make this tech so unfriendly? Don't you like us or something? I've had mostly frustration since the day I bought it and would never recommend it to anyone else.

Don't get me wrong when it works it is superb, but there have been so many issues that I'm always fearful of when it'll next stop being my friend and rob me with another hour of messing about. "Free Your Music" is so ironic. I've even had to go back to spinning CDs recently until I found this fix.

The 7.5 firmware caused me endless problems that I had to revert to 7.4, I will definitely not buy another Squeezebox device. As an aside I have a Logitech univeral remote and that was a bit tough to set up, but at least it's stable after that and you can just live with it.

Now I'm no technophobe, I work professionally with the very latest digital recording gear and multiple computers, so if I can't manage to easily stream music to a Duet after two years of ownership I can't imagine this is suitable for the average punter.

malaugh
2010-05-28, 12:17
Do you get this nasty when Windows Update does it's thing, which takes substantially more than two minutes to update and interrupts far more (and even when you turn the thing off, it sneaks itself back on, and loves popping up modal dialogues of "Are you ready to reboot?" stealing keyboard focus so it you happen to hit return at the wrong instant, your machine reboots)?

Not true. With Microsoft you can

1) Turn off updates altogether (You cannot with SB if you use MySb)
2) Downloads updates in the background while you are working.
3) Update before logging off (not when you log on and want to do something)

It would be much better if SB asked you to update when you switched it off, and allowed you to turn off updates altogether.

mark-in-seattle
2010-07-06, 18:35
I own two older SB2's (with infrared remotes) which I love because they have worked flawlessly and a newer SB3 duet (?) which is frequently the problem child. They all communicate with our home ReadyNAS NV+ (Infrant/Netgear) running SqueezeCenter v7.4.1-r28947.

The Duet handheld controller seems stuck in a software update loop on each power-up. It informs me that an update v7.4.1 yada-yada is available then gives me no obvious choice to decline the offer, except by the non-intuitive "hold down the back key" excape, which I can do successfully.

At the next power-up the Duet informs me that software update v7.5.1.R8885 is available, when I download this update and it installs itself successfully, then reboots everything is fine EXCEPT now update v7.4.1 wants to be downloaded and installed the next time the Duet is powered up.

SETTINGS --> ADVANCED --> ABOUT => tells me that the Duet remote is running firmware version 7.5.1.R8885. Therefore why is the Duet so keen on installing v7.4.1 ? Is it because v7.5.1 was supplied by mySB (?) and v7.4.1 is being pushed by my NAS running SqueezeCenter v7.4.1 ?

Any suggestions are appreciated. I will also look for v7.5.1 SqueezeCenter/SqueezeServer to install on my older ReadyNAS NV+.

Thank-you

aubuti
2010-07-06, 19:04
SETTINGS --> ADVANCED --> ABOUT => tells me that the Duet remote is running firmware version 7.5.1.R8885. Therefore why is the Duet so keen on installing v7.4.1 ? Is it because v7.5.1 was supplied by mySB (?) and v7.4.1 is being pushed by my NAS running SqueezeCenter v7.4.1 ?
That's it exactly. Your choices are basically (a) install the current Squeezebox Server on your NAS, or (b) leave the old version on your NAS and _never_ connect to mysqueezebox.com, or (c) continue with this upgrade/downgrade cycle until you go mad.