PDA

View Full Version : iPeng on iPad?

yoyoma
2010-01-27, 12:31
Any chance for an iPad optimized version of iPeng? That would be so cool.

ajkidle
2010-01-27, 13:01
Funny, I was just checking in to see if any iPad threads had started yet.

Would the album artwork scale appropriately? Seems like a potential issue, especially Pandora or Rhapsody sourced stuff.

andyg
2010-01-27, 13:03
Heh, Rhapsody is still 170x170, even after I have bugged them for YEARS about this. :(

ModelCitizen
2010-01-27, 13:08
I've always known a day would come when I would regret sizing all my cover artwork to 300x300.

It's today.

MC

epoch1970
2010-01-27, 13:15
I read the damn thing still isn't multitasking :(

pippin
2010-01-27, 13:23
I've said it over and over again: get the biggest artwork you can find, 600x600 is not the end of all screens.

No idea about iPad, yet. It's obviously iPhone OS but I have to dig through the doc to find out how it's different.

pippin
2010-01-27, 13:26
I read the damn thing still isn't multitasking :(
Really?
While I still insist that NOT multitasking is one of the success factors for iPhone (after working a bit with WinMobile again over the weekend I am reassured about that) I think for THIS thing it should be...

linvale
2010-01-27, 13:29
Now this may finalise the decision that I don't need a touch to treat my addiction - with my existing players and an iPad/iPeng combination the only realimportant capability the touch might provide is higher audio resoltion - and my transporter provides this beautifully for serious listening and my present server set up works beautifully (and efficiently) so I don't need the USB or built-in server capabilities. The bigger display on the iPad and the ability to use the best user interface I've found for squeezeboxes is really attractive.... when will it be available, will they beat Logitech to a shipping product I wonder?

iPhone
2010-01-27, 13:35
I've said it over and over again: get the biggest artwork you can find, 600x600 is not the end of all screens.

No idea about iPad, yet. It's obviously iPhone OS but I have to dig through the doc to find out how it's different.

According to some of the Tech Gadget Sites, all iPhone apps will work on the iPad and work perfectly if the author does some simple display changes to take advantage of the larger display. That is good news.

ddewey
2010-01-27, 13:39
Quoting iPhone (iPhone.45gsxz1264624562 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> pippin;511037 Wrote:
> > I've said it over and over again: get the biggest artwork you can find,
> > 600x600 is not the end of all screens.
> >
> > No idea about iPad, yet. It's obviously iPhone OS but I have to dig
> > through the doc to find out how it's different.
>
> According to some of the Tech Gadget Sites, all iPhone apps will work
> on the iPad and work perfectly if the author does some simple display
> changes to take advantage of the larger display. That is good news.

I'm sure they'll WORK, but I'll bet a lot of them will need to be
optimized for the larger display.

Having a giant iPeng remote is really the only compelling reason I
see to buy this thing, and I'm an Apple gadget fanboy.

epoch1970
2010-01-27, 13:45
Really?
While I still insist that NOT multitasking is one of the success factors for iPhone (after working a bit with WinMobile again over the weekend I am reassured about that) I think for THIS thing it should be...

Really, I don't know. Engadget says so in their hands-on. For me this means limited prowess when connected to a LAN, and no VPN when on the move, that's disappointing.

But, I am sure you can use that real estate to create yet another smashing front-end to the players.

mortslim
2010-01-27, 13:53
In addition to iPeng on the iPad, what about Logitech porting the entire SqueezeCenter software to the iPad?

jtf
2010-01-27, 14:01
iPeng on iPad.... my first thoughts when I saw the announcement. I came here KNOWING there would be a forum topic about it and it's already 2 pages. You guys don't disappoint!
Jeff

cooppw02
2010-01-27, 14:13
Is a specialized app really necessary for something this size? Wouldn't it be easier just to load up the normal web UI in Safari? I'm genuinely curious; I've never even held an iPhone.

I'm a Duet owner, and I've found that when I have a laptop and the Controller in the same room, I generally prefer to use the laptop to control my Squeezeboxen. I find it easier to conduct searches and manage playlists via the web UI.

pippin
2010-01-27, 14:16
According to some of the Tech Gadget Sites, all iPhone apps will work on the iPad and work perfectly if the author does some simple display changes to take advantage of the larger display. That is good news.

Everything is supposed to run but will then likely just look like on the iPhone.
There are a few things you HAVE to do differently on iPad (orientation change support, iPeng 1.3 should have that anyway).

But there are a lot of things you WANT to do differently. Hey, what about those ~50 tickets in iPeng track that talk about showing certain stuff permanently that I stubbornly ignored so far. With the big screen there should be quite a bit of stuff that can be much better on that thing.

But honestly: _I_ find it too big. But that may be just me. Will try to play around with the SDK, download servers are pretty down right now and I have to find out which computer to spare since as usual you can't develop for both versions on one machine :urgh:

pippin
2010-01-27, 14:32
Really, I don't know. Engadget says so in their hands-on. For me this means limited prowess when connected to a LAN, and no VPN when on the move, that's disappointing.

Read through the SDK summary: It's correct, no multitasking

In addition to iPeng on the iPad, what about Logitech porting the entire SqueezeCenter software to the iPad?
No-Gos:
LUA, Perl, Performance, Plugins
Probably not.

Is a specialized app really necessary for something this size? Wouldn't it be easier just to load up the normal web UI in Safari? I'm genuinely curious; I've never even held an iPhone.

Maybe if you have some weird Hi-Speed server. On my machines the Web UI is simply way too slow.

erland
2010-01-27, 14:43
But honestly: _I_ find it too big. But that may be just me.

Agreed, half the size would be better for a Squeezebox remote.
Still, I'll be standing in line to buy iPeng (or something similar) for iPad.

DaveWr
2010-01-27, 14:46
On my machines the Web UI is simply way too slow.

And not a very good at playlist building,..... but it is green in parts

Dave

mherger
2010-01-27, 14:49
> In addition to iPeng on the iPad, what about Logitech porting the entire
> SqueezeCenter software to the iPad?

I don't see why a server application should run on a portable device?

--

Michael

pippin
2010-01-27, 14:57
I don't see why a server application should run on a portable device?

Oh, _I_ would find streaming from iPod to SB not too bad an idea.

maggior
2010-01-27, 15:00
But honestly: _I_ find it too big. But that may be just me. Will try to play around with the SDK, download servers are pretty down right now and I have to find out which computer to spare since as usual you can't develop for both versions on one machine :urgh:

I think it would be neat if you put this in a dock someplace in your listening area as a giant stationary controller with big buttons and playback status that easily readable from far away. One problem though is that I think a landscape orientation would be better suited for that. From what I saw, the docks hold the iPad in a portait orientation only.

This brings to my mind those gigantic oversized universal remotes you see in drug stores here in the US. Probably not the image that Apple was shooting for :-).

I don't see how this thing would be advantageous over an iPod Touch or iPhone as a portable controlling device.

lymzy
2010-01-27, 15:06
I always want a 10" device for hi-res cover browsing.

A UI similar to AEON on XBMC would make a fantastic touch screen remote for squeezebox.(http://www.aeonproject.com/)

I wish iPeng could someday support backdrop with horizontal text based menu bar.

DoomWolf
2010-01-27, 15:22
I watched/listened to the whole launch event and iPeng was the first thing that went through my mind when they started talking about third-party apps. When iPeng finally gets the update to allow it to act as a player, I can see putting the iPad into a dock that's connected to some speakers, and having a nice big iPeng display that lets everyone see what's playing.

I wonder what the best size will be for artwork? As I've been going through my CDs to rip into FLAC, I've been getting the cover art into 500x500. I hope that's big enough because it's hard finding it bigger than that on the internet.

cooppw02
2010-01-27, 15:31
Maybe if you have some weird Hi-Speed server. On my machines the Web UI is simply way too slow.

My server setup is somewhat good (Linux, 2.2Ghz dual-core mobile cpu, 3GB RAM, however it is connected via wireless), but that's only half the story: good Javascript performance is also essential, and by all accounts the CPU in the iPad is pretty remarkable.

I've got an 8 year old laptop that I sometimes use to access SBS, and it's eminently usable. It's a Pentium III-M with 512MB RAM, and I've got it loaded with Knoppix and Chrome. If I had it loaded with a fully patched XP and tried to load the Web UI in IE, I know I would have the same complaints as you.

iPhone
2010-01-27, 15:31
Agreed, half the size would be better for a Squeezebox remote.
Still, I'll be standing in line to buy iPeng (or something similar) for iPad.

No standing in line necessary, their all Apps that are downloaded from iTunes! Now the iPad itself is a different story, if one doesn't order it online, then I would think for the first few weeks one will be standing in line to get one.

havoc1
2010-01-27, 17:53
I find web ui performance fine too, although I do use Chrome for it.

The iPad is a rather bizarre looking thing, like they thought they'd just supersize an iPhone. Not too sure if that's the right way forward.

As for no multi-tasking - I nearly fell off my chair. Agree with Pipin that not multitasking has helped the iPhone succeed (although i have a jailbroken one and use the Backgrounder app regularly), but if I buy an iPad I would be reaching for it instead of the laptop as I sit on the couch and if it can't multitask it is much less useful than it could be.

MeSue
2010-01-27, 21:09
But honestly: _I_ find it too big. But that may be just me.

I agree... it's too honking big! I was resistant to the iTouch for a long time, but now that I have one, I love it. It's the perfect size. (As I wrote in my blog today, I don't buy clothes without pockets anymore because I have to have my iPod on me at all times.) Everyone is going on about what a great eBook reader the iPad will be. Huh? Even for that it's too big, IMO.

Time will tell...

audiomuze
2010-01-27, 21:41
I agree... it's too honking big!Can anyone point me to decent pictures of the device that show its actual size? On the surface of it I'd think it'd be a great device to have lying around in the lounge/ TV room for general surfing, email and, of course, controlling Squeezeboxen with iPeng. Pity about the lack of multitasking though, I'd have to jailbreak it for it to be truly useful. Perhaps, as always, it'd be better to wait for the 2nd generation. Another thing that's really beginning to irk me is the way Apple completely ignores the Linux community - it's bad enough that iTunes is the crappy front-end for all things i, but being forced to keep a copy of Windows around just to be able to load apps, OS updates etc. is getting a little bloody tired.

MeSue
2010-01-27, 21:54
Can anyone point me to decent pictures of the device that show its actual size?
The dimensions are posted here: http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Height:
9.56 inches (242.8 mm)
Width:
7.47 inches (189.7 mm)
Depth:
0.5 inch (13.4 mm)
Weight:
1.5 pounds (.68 kg) Wi-Fi model;
1.6 pounds (.73 kg) Wi-Fi + 3G model

Seems about the size of a hardcover book, but thinner, of course.

On the surface of it I'd think it'd be a great device to have lying around in the lounge/ TV room for general surfing, email and, of course, controlling Squeezeboxen with iPeng.

That's exactly what I use my iTouch for, AND it fits in my pocket! :)

Goodsounds
2010-01-27, 22:00
Apple has produced a lot of innovative products over the years. That momentum, and their understanding of how to create buzz, have made Ipods and iphones huge hits that buried the competition. Ipad may be more likely to be a yawner. The reports I've seen so far suggest many view it as under-spec'ed and over-priced. Time will tell.

peterw
2010-01-27, 22:42
As for no multi-tasking - I nearly fell off my chair.

No multitasking, no webcam, and I can only run App Store titles, even if I buy the $829 version? How much money do you have to give Apple before you get a computer you can actually control? I think a lot of us hoped for a nice glass-screen multi-touch MacOS tablet that could also maybe run iPhone apps, but this is just a supersized locked-down iPhone that can't make phone calls or take pictures. Bleh.

I miss the old Apple [Computer] Inc. that built general purpose computers catered to the creative set. If any electronic device was tailored to the consumer-gullet notion ("a consumer was no more than 'a gullet whose only purpose in life is to gulp products and crap cash.'" (http://cluetrain.com/book/markets.html)), it's this silly-looking new thing.

mortslim
2010-01-27, 23:32
The iPad is not for everyone. It is not a be all, do all machine. It won't cook you your breakfast.

That being said,

it is basically a larger screen iPod Touch. The large screen benefits for visual features: reading email, tweets, blogs, webpages, books, magazines and newspapers; watching videos and movies. You have access to youtube and can buy or rent movies and television shows.

As for multitasking, it can access your own music files for listening to songs on your iTunes library while you use any other program (called apps). I know it can do this because I can do this now on my iPod Touch.

There are thousands of apps in many different categories. You need to browse the iTunes app store to see if any fit your own interests. E.g. if you like games, they should be more enjoyable on a bigger screen.

It can't fit in your pocket. So you are going to have to think twice before taking it out of your house.

It can't do what a real laptop or desktop can do, namely access flash based websites (although I understand that within a very short time, a new web standard known as html5 will replace flash and be accessible by the iphone, ipad and touch). It can't run photoshop or other sophisticated programs. It probably can't do file and print sharing on the local network. It's not clear if it can even connect to a networked printer.

But, it does fit a niche for many. On the couch or a lounge chair or in bed, if your focus is reading or watching or listening rather than typing, then the iPad will be much more comfortable than a laptop. Less bulky, lighter, easier to move around with and easier to see than a small screen Touch.

I look forward to it.

bobkoure
2010-01-28, 06:31
My thoughts about cost/capability ratio to the side, I think this is a great device simply because it may drive acceptance of tablets.
Personally, I'd be more interested in a netbook-priced 6" tablet running Android - but the simple presence of the iPad makes this all the more likely.
And for the apple-only folks, presence of cheaper tablets will probably drive the price for this one downwards at least somewhat (and maybe push Apple to do things like add multitasking).

dave77
2010-01-28, 07:06
I'm sure the iPad 3Gs which will get announced next January will have the multi-tasking, camera, phone support etc :)

My thoughts about cost/capability ratio to the side, I think this is a great device simply because it may drive acceptance of tablets.
Personally, I'd be more interested in a netbook-priced 6" tablet running Android - but the simple presence of the iPad makes this all the more likely.

You mean like this one http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=archos+5+internet+tablet&oe=utf-8&hl=en&cid=16369130078859296698&sa=title#p, albeit 5 inch

nelamvr6
2010-01-29, 18:29
And not a very good at playlist building,..... but it is green in parts

Dave

If you have Squeezecenter Server running on a desktop computer, you find that using another computer to connect to that desktop computer and controlling the SB via the web UI to be very slow?

I was really interested in the iPad as soon as I saw the announcement, and I immediately thought of controlling my SB via this scenario.

I confess, I have zero experience with the iPhone, so I've never used the iPeng. But I'm afraid I don't understand why the web ui would be slow...

zeelly
2011-09-20, 10:45
I saw that many people use that with some apps, i don't know bout that but i will try to find some information bout it. so when i get some information i will tell you.

garym
2011-09-20, 16:27
If you have Squeezecenter Server running on a desktop computer, you find that using another computer to connect to that desktop computer and controlling the SB via the web UI to be very slow?

I was really interested in the iPad as soon as I saw the announcement, and I immediately thought of controlling my SB via this scenario.

I confess, I have zero experience with the iPhone, so I've never used the iPeng. But I'm afraid I don't understand why the web ui would be slow...

I do this all the time and find it very fast. Also fast with ipeng on both iPhone and iPad.