PDA

View Full Version : Network is down on Sunday morning

bobpenn
2009-06-14, 08:39
Called support and they verified that the SqueezeNetwork is down.

kawasaki.kermit
2009-06-14, 09:26
do you have a duet or ? If you have a duet, is your receiver white? have you tried controlling the receiver through the www.squeezenetwork.com website ?

obraendl
2009-06-14, 12:18
Thats correct the squeezenotwork is down i try with my SB Classic and the Website www.squeezenetwork.com

Regards Otto

philrodo
2009-06-14, 12:55
I have a Duet and I'm in Washington, DC. I was unable to connect all day yesterday, but today, I've been able to get it to work, kind of. I'm connecting the SBRs directly to the SN and using the browser UI to start the music services.

Interestingly, I cannot get the Controller to connect. It's connected to my router, but it doesn't see the two Receivers and when I go to the players tab on the SN it shows as disconnected while both my receivers are connected.

Go figure...

Best regards, Phil

philrodo
2009-06-14, 14:01
It seems to be back to normal now. My Receivers and Controllers are connected to SN and I can use the Controller to navigate and play music services.

What a hassle. When the Duet works, it's GREAT! When these problems start, it's nothing but a royal pain in the butt...

Best regards, Phil

kawasaki.kermit
2009-06-14, 14:05
are you sure you are connected to squeezenetwork and not center?

philrodo
2009-06-14, 16:41
Absolutely. The PC that runs SC is temporarily off line. I'm connected directly to SN.

Roger66
2009-06-14, 17:11
At the moment there is no connect to SN possible. DE server. SN Server reliability is very low - it's a shame.

bobpenn
2009-06-14, 17:54
6pm pacific time and still cannot connect to squeezenetwork. I can connect to squeezecenter, however. Wonder when they will fix it? Is there anything we can do, ie reboot, etc. to make it happen?

tim1234
2009-06-14, 18:06
I did a full re-install (hard reset of everything, then follow instructions in the manual) and it works OK now (Duet, SN). Kind of a pain.

philrodo
2009-06-14, 18:25
I did a full re-install (hard reset of everything, then follow instructions in the manual) and it works OK now (Duet, SN). Kind of a pain.

I find that doing nothing is the best course of action--other than resetting the router, Receiver(s), Controller. Eventually the SN comes back to life and everything goes back to normal.

Best regards, Phil

tim1234
2009-06-14, 18:43
I find that doing nothing is the best course of action--other than resetting the router, Receiver(s), Controller. Eventually the SN comes back to life and everything goes back to normal.

Best regards, Phil

I like the minimalistic approach, but that did not work in this case.

philrodo
2009-06-14, 18:45
I like the minimalistic approach, but that did not work in this case.

It probably didn't because the SN servers were not functioning properly. What I meant was, when the servers return to normal, all connectivity issues simply disappear usually and no action is required to reconnect the Squeeze devices.

Best regards, Phil

tim1234
2009-06-14, 19:04
It probably didn't because the SN servers were not functioning properly. What I meant was, when the servers return to normal, all connectivity issues simply disappear usually and no action is required to reconnect the Squeeze devices.

Best regards, Phil

Well in this case, others had reported that the service had returned. "No action" did not return my service, so I acted. I suppose I could have kept on waiting. When I did a full reset, I found that the SN servers were functioning properly. I posted my message in case there will still others who were waiting for no good reason.

Best regards.

chicagojohnp
2009-06-14, 19:36
Great. I've been messing around with this thing all day trying to get it to work. Now I have no idea whether its not working because of something I did trying to get it to work, or if the network is down. And of course they only have their support lines open M-F during work hours when I'm, you know, AT WORK!

philrodo
2009-06-14, 19:50
Great. I've been messing around with this thing all day trying to get it to work. Now I have no idea whether its not working because of something I did trying to get it to work, or if the network is down. And of course they only have their support lines open M-F during work hours when I'm, you know, AT WORK!

They provide Tech Support on Saturdays and Sundays. Here's the informatin from their support page on their hours of service. Plus they are on Pacific time, so if you're on the East Coast you can reach them until mid-night local time.

Monday through Friday, 6AM - 9PM Pacific time (6:00 - 21:00)
Saturday/Sunday, 7AM - 5PM Pacific time (7:00 - 17:00)

Where are you located? The server problems this weekend apparently affected the East Coast (I'm using their server located in Ashburn, VA), although I believe I saw some posts about probelms from Germany and the UK as well.

When the servers come back online, you usually have to reset your router, receiver and controller (I'm assuming you have a Duet). What I do, is turn off the router and leave it off. I then go an unplug my two Receivers (physically unplug their power cord, since they don't have an off and on switch) and turn off the controller. I then go back and turn on the router, wait a couple of minutes, and then reconnect the Receivers. I then login to the SN and access my account to make sure that the Receivers show as connected. Once the Receivers are connected, I can get them going on the SN through my browser's UI interface.

The last thing I turn on is the Controller as I find that it's the most tempremental device. For example, this morning I got my Receivers conected online and was piping music to them, but the Controller would not connect to the SN (it connected to the router, but would not see the Receivers). Since I was able to play music, I let it be and a few hours later it came back on its own, without me having to do anything else.

Hope this helps.

Best regards, Phil

tim1234
2009-06-14, 20:02
Where are you located? The server problems this weekend apparently affected the East Coast (I'm using their server located in Ashburn, VA), although I believe I saw some posts about probelms from Germany and the UK as well.

When the servers come back online, you usually have to reset your router, receiver and controller (I'm assuming you have a Duet). What I do, is turn off the router and leave it off. I then go an unplug my two Receivers (physically unplug their power cord, since they don't have an off and on switch) and turn off the controller. I then go back and turn on the router, wait a couple of minutes, and then reconnect the Receivers. I then login to the SN and access my account to make sure that the Receivers show as connected. Once the Receivers are connected, I can get them going on the SN through my browser's UI interface.

West coast....

Just unplugging and replugging did not work for me. Tried it many times.

philrodo
2009-06-14, 20:09
West coast....

Just unplugging and replugging did not work for me. Tried it many times.

Have the West Coast servers come back online? Perhaps they're still having problems there.

What is desparately needed is a page where we can go to ascertain the status of the Network. Skype does this and it's a great resource to check when things aren't working right (see: http://heartbeat.skype.com). I'm sure the SN could implement a similar page in addition to providing some sort of feedback on the Controller.

Heck, right now everything is working, so I don't want to bad mouth the SN too much as ait might stop working again... ;-)

Best regards, Phil

tim1234
2009-06-14, 20:22
Have the West Coast servers come back online? Perhaps they're still having problems there.

I did a full re-install (hard reset of everything, then followed instructions in the manual) and it works OK now (Duet, SN).

philrodo
2009-06-14, 21:29
I did a full re-install (hard reset of everything, then followed instructions in the manual) and it works OK now (Duet, SN).

I'm glad it's working for you. I know first hand how frustrating it can be when these things stop working. I wish this service was more reliable.

Best regards, Phil

philrodo
2009-06-15, 03:58
Well, here we go again. It worked fine all day yesterday and was playing when I went to bed around 1:00 am this morning. However, when I woke up earlier, I couldn't get it to play anything. The Receivers and Controller show as connected, but when you try to play anything, nothing happens.

I really wish they would fix these problems once and for all, as they're getting old...

bobertuk
2009-06-15, 04:16
Is this something just happening in the US?

Hopefully not - I seem to be having the same problems in the UK as well. We are on the .de server over here.

Bob

tim1234
2009-06-15, 08:27
Well, here we go again. It worked fine all day yesterday and was playing when I went to bed around 1:00 am this morning. However, when I woke up earlier, I couldn't get it to play anything. The Receivers and Controller show as connected, but when you try to play anything, nothing happens.

If you let it be, then it will come back on its own. Doing nothing is the best course of action.

Best regards.

kawasaki.kermit
2009-06-15, 18:49
Any update?

philrodo
2009-06-15, 20:48
Any update?

When I got home late this evening it was back to normal.

These outages are getting out of hand. Most networks operate at 99.9% uptime. How come Logitech can't even come close to 90% uptime?

Best regards, Phil

toby10
2009-06-16, 09:58
When I got home late this evening it was back to normal.

These outages are getting out of hand. Most networks operate at 99.9% uptime. How come Logitech can't even come close to 90% uptime?

Best regards, Phil

Agreed, it should just work. But in the mean time, when you cannot connect to SN then just use SC and you should have much better access to SN functions. SC uses SN in the background for many (maybe all) radio streams and all music services. When others are having issues streaming directly from SN I'm happily streaming, uninterrupted, the same streams and music services via SC.

How/why utilizing SN via SC makes a difference is beyond me, but it simply works when SN direct streaming does not.

I know this isn't available to everyone (requires PC with SC7) and it's not a fix for SN issues, but it will likely work as a temporary workaround. :)

philrodo
2009-06-17, 18:28
Agreed, it should just work. But in the mean time, when you cannot connect to SN then just use SC and you should have much better access to SN functions. SC uses SN in the background for many (maybe all) radio streams and all music services. When others are having issues streaming directly from SN I'm happily streaming, uninterrupted, the same streams and music services via SC.

How/why utilizing SN via SC makes a difference is beyond me, but it simply works when SN direct streaming does not.

I know this isn't available to everyone (requires PC with SC7) and it's not a fix for SN issues, but it will likely work as a temporary workaround. :)

Thanks for the feedback. I tried to switch to SC, but I simply couldn't. I think that SC still needs the SN to be active, at least until you switch your devices from SN to SC. In my case, my Controller couldn't even see my Receivers, even though it was connected to my router and I could ping it from the router and get a response. However, when it tried to reach the SN to access my account, it would go into an endess spin and nothing would happen. Perhaps, if I had switched to SC before the servers started acting up, things would have been different.

Best regards, Phil

toby10
2009-06-18, 03:47
Thanks for the feedback. I tried to switch to SC, but I simply couldn't. I think that SC still needs the SN to be active, at least until you switch your devices from SN to SC. In my case, my Controller couldn't even see my Receivers, even though it was connected to my router and I could ping it from the router and get a response. However, when it tried to reach the SN to access my account, it would go into an endess spin and nothing would happen. Perhaps, if I had switched to SC before the servers started acting up, things would have been different.

Best regards, Phil

I'd try grabbing your players via the SC7 web UI, not the SBC.
I don't think SN needs to even be up/present/active to get the players onto SC.
Though, now we are back to the FW Update loop between SN and SC.

philrodo
2009-06-18, 05:54
I'd try grabbing your players via the SC7 web UI, not the SBC.
I don't think SN needs to even be up/present/active to get the players onto SC.
Though, now we are back to the FW Update loop between SN and SC.

Well, things seem to be working right now through SN, so I'm leaving things alone for the time being...

Thanks for the feedback.

Best regards, Phil