PDA

View Full Version : Pulling hair out. Please help!

Melor
2009-03-25, 17:34
A simple issue to be sure, but one that is escaping my solution.

I have 15K songs in my iTunes folder. I am using squeeze center to play these songs via my Duet. When I look at the artists, I see a dozen or so artists, while there are hundreds in iTunes.

I know the issue has to do with the way I have my iTunes organized. I have for example 500 songs with artist names in the artist field in iTunes, but the album artist is "RS top 500." In squeeze center, the artist shows up as RS top 500.

I have tried numerous combinations of the check box and radio buttons in the music library settings page on squeeze center, but I am obviously not trying the correct one even though I would swear I have tried every permutation. Bummer is that it takes a good 15 minutes to clear and rescan the library so I cannot easily test the options.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Paul Jaruszewski

Nonreality
2009-03-25, 17:39
A simple issue to be sure, but one that is escaping my solution.

I have 15K songs in my iTunes folder. I am using squeeze center to play these songs via my Duet. When I look at the artists, I see a dozen or so artists, while there are hundreds in iTunes.

I know the issue has to do with the way I have my iTunes organized. I have for example 500 songs with artist names in the artist field in iTunes, but the album artist is "RS top 500." In squeeze center, the artist shows up as RS top 500.

I have tried numerous combinations of the check box and radio buttons in the music library settings page on squeeze center, but I am obviously not trying the correct one even though I would swear I have tried every permutation. Bummer is that it takes a good 15 minutes to clear and rescan the library so I cannot easily test the options.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Paul Jaruszewski

Get rid of the RS top 500 in the album artist tag. You can do that in itunes, highlight the files you want and hit info and delete that. You may have hundred of artists then in SC. It will probably put it in various artist if you have group compilations set in the SC settings. If you have group with artist then you'll have lots of artist show up.

MrSinatra
2009-03-25, 20:30
are his files mp3s?

if so, he can just have TPE2 NOT treated as album artist, (which should be the default).

Melor
2009-03-25, 21:17
Get rid of the RS top 500 in the album artist tag. You can do that in itunes, highlight the files you want and hit info and delete that. You may have hundred of artists then in SC. It will probably put it in various artist if you have group compilations set in the SC settings. If you have group with artist then you'll have lots of artist show up.

I need to keep the 500 song "album" organized as is, with the album artist being "RS top 500" because I want to be able to keep these files together both physically on my hard drive, and also as a group logically within iTunes. I have other groups such as Billboard 100 1950, 1951, etc. up to 2005. If I remove the album artist tag, chaos will ensue.

I cannot believe there is no option to read artist from the artist tag in the presence of an "album artist" tag that can be ignored within Squeeze Center...

Paul

MrSinatra
2009-03-25, 21:18
can u answer my post?

Melor
2009-03-25, 21:28
can u answer my post?

They are MP3's.

Paul

MrSinatra
2009-03-25, 21:30
indeed.

then configure SC to not treat TPE2 as albumartist, as i said.

(and clear and rescan)

if u still have an issue, something else is up.

Nonreality
2009-03-27, 00:11
I need to keep the 500 song "album" organized as is, with the album artist being "RS top 500" because I want to be able to keep these files together both physically on my hard drive, and also as a group logically within iTunes. I have other groups such as Billboard 100 1950, 1951, etc. up to 2005. If I remove the album artist tag, chaos will ensue.

I cannot believe there is no option to read artist from the artist tag in the presence of an "album artist" tag that can be ignored within Squeeze Center...

PaulI would have set that name as the album name, not album artist. But if you do what MrSinatra says it should work fine also.