PDA

View Full Version : MP3tag confusion with FLAC / Vorbis comments

brianz
2008-12-14, 19:35
Hi, I just ripped all my CDs to FLAC with dbPoweramp and downloaded mp3tag to add/edit tags, primarily to create lots of sub-genres. The tag type is Vorbis Comments and under the Tag column heading it says "FLAC (FLAC)". I am thoroughly confused however. Under the Tagging Options dialogue in mp3tag, all I see are references to APE and ID2/ID3 tagging for read/write/remove options. I don't see any references to writing in the Vorbis Comments format.

I don't believe I need to remove ID2/ID3/APE/etc tags, since I ripped straight from CD to FLAC with Vorbis Comments. But, I need to make sure that I edit only in the Vorbis Comments space, and I don't see any that type referenced, just the other ones.

Should I go ahead and edit anyway and assume the tags will remain in Vorbis Comments space, or do I need to change a configuration or download some codec in order to stay in Vorbis Comments and avoid accidentally changing to another tagging format?

Thanks for any help.

Brian

JJZolx
2008-12-14, 23:05
Just tag away.

There are no similar options for Flac files. Mp3tag only reads & writes Flac tags (Vorbis comments) in Flac files. I've seen EAC stupidly add id3v2 to Flac files, but you can be certain that dbpoweramp only ads the correct type of tag.

When in doubt, though, just make a copy of an album or a few albums, and experiment on the copies. Screw them up, start all over again, keep experimenting until you've got it right. But don't worry since you still have your original files.

Moonbase
2008-12-15, 02:34
Yep, I can confirm that Mp3tag is pretty safe (talking about v2.42 and newer) regarding FLAC (Vorbis Comment) tags. I sometimes have to store both FLAC and MP3 for the same album, sometimes even copying the (ID3v2.3) tags from the MP3s into the FLAC files, and Mp3tag even takes care of storing the ID3v2.3 in MP3 as ISO-8859-1 while automagically converting to correct Vorbis Comments for the FLAC file.

(Why would I copy tags from MP3 to FLAC and not vice-versa? Because it’s easier to use my existing BPM and Key detection tools on the MP3s and just copy the complete tags over into the FLACs … lazy me. But Replay Gain is of course done separately.)

Btw, the »(FLAC)« you see when using »Extended Tags« in Mp3tag shows what kind of tags are actually in the file, so you would spot one containing other tags quite easily, it would show: »FLAC (FLAC, ID3v2)« for instance. Meaning: »I now show you the content of the FLAC tag, but there are FLAC and ID3v2 tags in the file.«

I still wish Mp3tag would support removing ID3 tags from FLAC files more easily (see and support my feature request in Mp3tag forum (http://www.anytag.de/forums/index.php?showtopic=8609&hl=)). With MP3 and ID3, I can simply specify to remove everything except ID3v2, select files, do a STRG+R and thus get rid of APE and ID3v1 tags. With FLAC, this would actually remove the FLAC (Vorbis) tags.

Philip Meyer
2008-12-15, 12:40
>Mp3tag only reads & writes Flac tags (Vorbis comments) in Flac files.
That's not true - Mp3Tag can be configured to read & write id3v1 tags to "Ape, Mpc ..." which includes FLAC files.

It's generally not a good idea though - I've configured it to read all values, but write only APEv2, and delete tags is configured to delete ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags, leaving only APE.

Phil

JJZolx
2008-12-15, 14:50
>Mp3tag only reads & writes Flac tags (Vorbis comments) in Flac files.
That's not true - Mp3Tag can be configured to read & write id3v1 tags to "Ape, Mpc ..." which includes FLAC files.

I'm afraid that's incorrect. Here is the Help for that Options page:

"Here you can do some settings for audio formats which are using APE-tags by default (like Musepack, Monkey's Audio, WavPack, ...)"

Flac doesn't use APE tags by default, so these settings don't affect Flac files. APE tags won't be written to Flac files.

It's generally not a good idea though - I've configured it to read all values, but write only APEv2, and delete tags is configured to delete ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags, leaving only APE.

Why would you want APE tags in a Flac file?

Robin Bowes
2008-12-15, 15:23
JJZolx wrote:

>> It's generally not a good idea though - I've configured it to read all
>> values, but write only APEv2, and delete tags is configured to delete
>> ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags, leaving only APE.
>
> Why would you want APE tags in a Flac file?

Phil,

I think you'll find you've actually got vorbis comments in your flac
files, not ape tags.

R.

Philip Meyer
2008-12-15, 16:38
>> >Mp3tag only reads & writes Flac tags (Vorbis comments) in Flac files.
>> That's not true - Mp3Tag can be configured to read & write id3v1 tags
>> to "Ape, Mpc ..." which includes FLAC files.
>
>I'm afraid that's incorrect. Here is the Help for that Options page:

Well, for a few months, I noticed I was accidentally writing id3 tags in my FLAC files, instead of FLAC tags. I changed the "Ape, Mpc ..." settings, and now I only write FLAC tags to FLAC files.

Phil

Philip Meyer
2008-12-15, 16:39
>I think you'll find you've actually got vorbis comments in your flac
>files, not ape tags.
Mp3Tag reports (now) that I have FLAC tags in FLAC files.

But it is possible to write mp3 tags to FLAC files, which was the point I was making.

JJZolx
2008-12-15, 16:47
Well, for a few months, I noticed I was accidentally writing id3 tags in my FLAC files, instead of FLAC tags. I changed the "Ape, Mpc ..." settings, and now I only write FLAC tags to FLAC files.

I mention above that it's relatively easy to configure EAC to add id3v2 tags to rips. Could that have been it instead? Mp3tag will _keep_ the id3v2 tag if it's in a Flac file, but I'm pretty certain that it will never write or change them. I suppose there's a chance that you've discovered an unknown side effect that removes id3 tags from Flac, but normally you have to remove all tags and then Undo to remove them from Mp3tag.

Philip Meyer
2008-12-15, 17:50
>I mention above that it's relatively easy to configure EAC to add id3v2
>tags to rips. Could that have been it instead? Mp3tag will _keep_ the
>id3v2 tag if it's in a Flac file, but I'm pretty certain that it will
>never write or change them. I suppose there's a chance that you've
>discovered an unknown side effect that removes id3 tags from Flac

Well, I'm not sure now.

I do use EAC, but it's configured to compress to FLAC, and produces FLAC tags.

After using Mp3Tag to modify tags, I was getting id3 tags instead of FLAC tags. I've subsequently changed the options, and it doesn't store id3 tags any more. I can't get it back into that state, not matter what options I choose.

I do install beta versions of Mp3Tag all the time, so maybe one beta revision was a bit flakey :-)

>normally you have to remove all tags and then Undo to remove them from Mp3tag.
That's what I used to do, but if you configure the Remove checkboxes in the Mp3tag settings, you can remove eg. id3v1 and APE, whilst leaving id3v2 tags in place, so no need to undo after pressing the Remove tags icon.

So the only question is how I got id3 tags in my FLAC files to start with.

Phil