PDA

View Full Version : Feedback requested for 7.3 controller fw r3206

bklaas
2008-10-27, 10:07
beta users--

I'm interested in hearing feedback on SBC controller firmware r3206, which was pushed out to SC 7.3 users last Friday.

Of particular interest is whether bug 8159, lovingly known as the "Blue Icon of Death" issue, is still an issue for users.

cheers,
#!/ben

IMPORTANT: update your SqueezeCenter to at least svn revision 23692 (or today's daily build). There was an unrelated problem in SqueezeCenter that was causing the server to hang in certain situations.

pippin
2008-10-27, 10:16
beta users--

I'm interested in hearing feedback on SBC controller firmware r3206, which was pushed out to SC 7.3 users last Friday.

Of particular interest is whether bug 8159, lovingly known as the "Blue Icon of Death" issue, is still an issue for users.

cheers,
#!/ben

IMPORTANT: update your SqueezeCenter to at least svn revision 23692 (or today's daily build). There was an unrelated problem in SqueezeCenter that was causing the server to hang in certain situations.

Didn't test it toooo extensively, but no crashes whatsoever.

The only funny was: I had to restart the SBC TWICE and even then it took a bit until the controller showed up as a player on the server.
Also, when it finally did, it was shown as "squeezeplay" first and only after it played for a while did it show up under the controller's name.

Mark Miksis
2008-10-27, 10:25
Ben, I've seen the following on 7.3r3206. The issues are not 100% reproducible and I have no logs. Will post back when I do.

1) If SC goes away and comes back, the icon will turn red and remain red even after the SBC is reconnected and working fine.
2) Sound effects stop working
3) The controller disappears from the Choose Player menu even though it is enabled in the Advanced menu

All 3 of these are fixed by a reset of the SBC. I've also seen the "SBC player changing name" issue that Pippin described.

dem
2008-10-27, 10:45
2) Sound effects stop working
I've seen this as well.

Toggling Audio Playback brought the sound effects back.

Also, the behavior of the wheel seems more erratic with this release. It seems to take more motion before the cursor starts moving, and sometimes it jumps over several menu items.

bonze
2008-10-27, 11:05
I've had the BIOD a few times today and the controller is in the same room as the wifi router.
Only way to connect was a power off/on.

I will try and reproduce - I think it may be when left out of the charger for a while.

bklaas
2008-10-27, 11:09
I've had the BIOD a few times today and the controller is in the same room as the wifi router.
Only way to connect was a power off/on.

I will try and reproduce - I think it may be when left out of the charger for a while.

Bonze- can you confirm you are running 7.3 r3206 firmware on your controller? Secondly, if you browse to Music Library->Artists when in BIOD, does it return any data or just hang?

When you say you left it out of the charger for a while, does this mean that the controller fully went to sleep (i.e., when you picked it up you see the "Please Wait" spinny icon come up for 10 or 15secs before the menu comes back)?

cheers,
#!/ben

bonze
2008-10-27, 11:50
Bonze- can you confirm you are running 7.3 r3206 firmware on your controller? Secondly, if you browse to Music Library->Artists when in BIOD, does it return any data or just hang?

When you say you left it out of the charger for a while, does this mean that the controller fully went to sleep (i.e., when you picked it up you see the "Please Wait" spinny icon come up for 10 or 15secs before the menu comes back)?

cheers,
#!/benYes - 7.3 r3206.
How long does it take to go fully to sleep.
I've left it for 30minutes or so, but it seems OK when I pick it up - and I don't get the spinny.

Mark Miksis
2008-10-27, 11:57
How long does it take to go fully to sleep.

Suspend happens in 60 min if you haven't changed it.

JorgenG.
2008-10-27, 12:14
Another opservation on fw r3206:

My prefered setup language on the controller is danish, but when i yesterday updated to 3206 there were no sound either on output jack or internal speaker when option test audio playback were enabled in the advanced menu, I then did a factory reset and in setup i choose english as language and then the audio option was visible again

bonze
2008-10-27, 13:24
Suspend happens in 60 min if you haven't changed it.OK - and a while later.....

I got the spinny, and the blue icon.

Before it went to sleep it was set to playback through the controller.

There is no option for 'Music Library' on the Home menu, just:
'Extras, Lyrics, Settings, Music Source, Choose Player, Information Browser'

Going to Choose Player > Controller, brought it back to life.

Still can't remember how it became 'locked' earlier today.

autopilot
2008-10-27, 14:32
No serious connection issues, but a couple of UI oddities i did notice...

1) When i go in to the settings menu the cursor disappears and i cant select anything. Seem like it has hung, yet i can go back and all the other menus seem to work fine. A reboot fixes it for a while, but it does come back.

2) No album art place holders. I think i looks terrible until the artwork loads. Can sometime load artwork quicker than before, but usually takes longer to load now, and when it does load and sometimes is missing. Not sure whats been done, but artwork is a real step backwards.

3) And of course it great to see audio playback, but please make sure the next release have adjustable volume and the small speaker can be turned off :)

Overal i think things are heading in the right direction, but it 'feels' very buggy. Almost like the early pre-duet release beta's.

Howard Passman
2008-10-28, 02:31
...especially the blue icon. It's a little quirky, but after being beaten to death when I first came on board here on the forum, I kind of ignore the little things and figure they'll work out :-)

Howard

P.S. I wonder if some of the anomalies are related to trying to connect to SN or one of the services (Rhapsody, etc.)? That always freaks mine out and takes me a few minutes to sort back out. Usually, I have to restart SC to kill the partial (?) connection. I try to connect to SN after every nightly update so I'm really used to fixing the issue.

Skunk
2008-10-28, 06:04

My only issue with 3206 was the inability to initiate set up of my Receiver after a reset. The Receiver was listed by mac address as it usually is after resetting, but when I try selecting it I just get the spinning wheel and connecting to network, and eventually a red wireless icon causing me to have to go back into Networks to reselect mine. When the icon was white, I could see and control Boom fine, just not set up the Receiver.

When testing yesterday the same thing happened after a reset of the Receiver, even though I was using 23694.exe (on win2k btw). I had to downgrade to 7.2 again to get the Receiver working. Yet today, with the same nightly reinstalled it seems to be able to set up the Rx fine, after a few attempts at breaking it again. I'm kind of baffled, but figure whatever the issue was it must have gotten fixed.

I copied the log from the Controller after it happened initially Fri/Sat, and also when it happened with 23694.exe yesterday:

chinablues
2008-10-28, 09:24
Many things not working for me. This is on SC 7.3 23711 & r2306 on the controller firmware. Windows Vista Ultimate, 64bit.

1. Duet box not recognised.
2. Press 'Home' button on controller & get 'now playing'. Press again & get Transporter menu. ie home button does not take you 'home', it oscillates between one display & another (neither of which is home)
3. Press settings on 'home menu' and cannot scroll or select any of the settings. Wheel makes 'ticking' noise as it is rotated, but no selection possible on the controller.
4 Reboot controller (battery out & replace battery whilst pressing the + button...is that the way to do it?). Reentered WEP key for the nth time today. Controller sees the wireless network. I select it. And We are STUCK. Correct network shown with a tick against it, but pressing the forward arrow or the center button does nothing. I can go back , but I cannot go forward. Just STUCK. I cannot even remember how I got to 2. (2 being better than STUCK)

Music plays OK on the Transporter (wirelessly). The Duet box is dead, blinking a slow red flash. Pressing for 5 secs to get fast red flash also achieves nothing. Controller can do nothing. Can only 'go back', to 'lets get started'. Cannot go forward. Stuck at 'choose your wireless network' (which is shown correctly checked).

I recently changed my router (see other thread about FLAC breakups) and am obviously doing something dumb, but 7.3 looks pretty broken to me...

Good weather promised in Phuket tomorrow, so I'll be playing golf & chanting 'um padi um...'. Maybe that'll work.

Dan

Skunk
2008-10-28, 13:30
With 23711 my Controller isn't able to find any players, even though they are both able to play via the web interface.

I've noticed that when I shut down SC, the players show up immediately. Starting the server again does not allow them to connect to it though, and if I restart or factory reset the Controller the players disappear again.

bklaas
2008-10-28, 13:55
With 23711 my Controller isn't able to find any players, even though they are both able to play via the web interface.

I've noticed that when I shut down SC, the players show up immediately. Starting the server again does not allow them to connect to it though, and if I restart or factory reset the Controller the players disappear again.

Not that this is good behavior, but if you let the Choose Player window sit for a bit (10secs), does the menu eventually populate?

cheers,
#!/ben

Skunk
2008-10-28, 14:22
Not that this is good behavior, but if you let the Choose Player window sit for a bit (10secs), does the menu eventually populate?

cheers,
#!/ben

Well now I feel sorry for the thing, because I just got back home and it's been on that screen for 20 minutes (without populating).

oreillymj
2008-10-29, 04:49
I tried 3206 with 23711 and had quite a few strange things happen to me while setting up my new Boom. I recycled the server a few times and got the BIOD, which I actually haven't had for a while. This required a reboot.

I had all sound feedback go, so the wheel was silent while turning requiring a reboot. I posted a thread about this recently thinking it was only caused by putting the controller into Sleep mode manually and re-awakening it. But it may be a more general issue.

Album art is now slower to download and a bit buggier then it was before. Sometimes the thumbnail will appear, but not the full size image and vice/versa.

On the whole, this release feels sluggish. I fired up the old beta controller I had with r2080 on it from March and it felt much more responsive scrolling through menus. Unfortunately I can't upgrade this controller due to the UUID/Mac bug.

chinablues
2008-10-29, 10:48
Rolled back to 7.2.1 23190 and after a lot of fiddling with settings, eventually got all wireless 'things' working. Transporter, Duet box and a Linksys wireless camera. (Transporter always connected OK, the Duet box & camera were a lot of trouble). I don't think the camera was relevant...but just one of these 'connection' issues where things don't work & then suddenly they do. And then you unplug & move to correct location & they don't work. And then they do. It's a bugger when you think you carefully log what you changed & what the results were, which combos work & which don't etc., & at the end of the day you still don't know what magic button was pressed to make it all work. The wonders of Microsoft...(I changed the router..which introduced a lot of non-connection issues).

Once all seemed OK on 7.2.1, tried to install 7.3.23711, but the icon just kept saying "Squeezecenter Starting" After a couple of hours of this..., ran uninstall & then installed 7.3. 23686. Ran/installed OK. Controller said the firmware was 'up to date' at 7.2.r3191, but I ran the update utility anyway. Controller updated to 7.3 r3220. (despite saying it was 'up to date').

Things 'look OK', but time for bed here, so no chance to try out music or anything else. Rained a lot today, so no time for golf either. But nice dinner by the beach.

Dan

autopilot
2008-10-29, 11:40
I see r3220 is available, i need a stable system for the next few days so im going to leave this for a bit. But what has changed?

Skunk
2008-10-30, 05:59
I see r3220 is available, i need a stable system for the next few days so im going to leave this for a bit. But what has changed?

Most notably for me was the attempt to fix the blue icon of death bug. I wasn't able to set up the Receiver after resetting it while on 3206, but now I can with 3220. Thanks Richard!

http://svn.slimdevices.com/?view=rev&root=Jive&revision=3207
http://svn.slimdevices.com/?view=rev&root=Jive&revision=3212
http://svn.slimdevices.com/?view=rev&root=Jive&revision=3215
http://svn.slimdevices.com/?view=rev&root=Jive&revision=3216