PDA

View Full Version : Cannot find iTunes music with SC7.2

agentsmith
2008-10-03, 09:41
I am an iTunes newbie so please excuse if this is basic.

I just did a greenfield install of SC7.2 on a Vista PC with iTunes 8. My music is located in a mapped LAN drive.

When I did the install, SqueezeCenter complained that it could not find the iTunes library, so I tried to locate the library and it is loated in my local drive "C:\USERS\USERNAME\MUSIC\IPOD NAME\itunes" in a file called "itunes library.xml" of size ~8MB. So I put in the full path and did a full rescan.

The scan comes back in seconds and found 0 artists and 0 songs.

I also notice that in the root directory of my mapped music drive that there is a file called "library.xml", I tried both the drive "e.g. M:\" and the UNC path, both failed to find anything.

How and where can I find the iTunes library and convince SC to absorb it?

agentsmith
2008-10-03, 10:21
I put in the full path plus the name of the file. I think it is scanning fine now.

Sorry for newbie question.

agentsmith
2008-10-03, 10:40
I thought it was scanning fine but after the scan when I browse there is only a handful of artists, albums and songs.

From the scan log, it reads:

iTunes Import (4655 of 4655) Complete 00:00:44
iTunes Playlist Import (16 of 16) Complete 00:00:02
Movies
Merge Various Artists (13 of 13) Complete 00:00:00
Artwork Scan (17 of 17) Complete 00:00:08
Database Optimize (0 of ) Complete 00:00:05
SqueezeCenter has finished scanning your music collection. Total Time: 00:00:59

Well the 4655 number sounds like the number of songs which seems right. But the number of artists and artworks are all wrong.

I think I am scanning the real library XML file, when I add some songs to iTunes, the time stamp and file size changes accordingly.

Any ideas?

mvalera
2008-10-03, 12:36
Please contact support, they will be happy to help you with your situation.

http://slimdevices.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/slimdevices.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

Siduhe
2008-10-03, 17:30
It sounds like you have the right .xml file, but worth double checking by searching across both your local and external drives (including hidden folders) - then fire up iTunes, make some minor changes, save and have a look at the file properties to make certain. The one that updates is the one you need.

Also, have a look at the scanner.log file (Settings/Status/follow the link) which may give you an idea where things are failing. It could be a permissions issue - I don't use iTunes but I remember other people have had problems with earlier versions where the .xml file is on the external drive rather than on the same drive as SC is installed on. Can you set iTunes8 to store your music library file in a specific place?

agentsmith
2008-10-03, 20:07
It sounds like you have the right .xml file, but worth double checking by searching across both your local and external drives (including hidden folders) - then fire up iTunes, make some minor changes, save and have a look at the file properties to make certain. The one that updates is the one you need.

Also, have a look at the scanner.log file (Settings/Status/follow the link) which may give you an idea where things are failing. It could be a permissions issue - I don't use iTunes but I remember other people have had problems with earlier versions where the .xml file is on the external drive rather than on the same drive as SC is installed on. Can you set iTunes8 to store your music library file in a specific place?

Thanks for your tip. I checked the XML file and added and removed some songs and the XML changed along with it, so I am quite sure I have the right XML file.

The XML is local in my Windows USERS folder, and my iTUnes music folder location is in a network drive.

From the log it seems it is picking up the number of Songs but ended up with only a fraction of them.

alZmtbr
2008-10-03, 20:22
Just doing some free thinking here... the iTunes library that slim reads is the XML library in my account - if my wife adds to iTunes via her account, that addition won't be added to my library, my XML file isn't updated - hence it won't be added to the slim database. A leap here - do ALL of the folders in your music library have the same permissions under VISTA?

agentsmith
2008-10-04, 08:58
Just doing some free thinking here... the iTunes library that slim reads is the XML library in my account - if my wife adds to iTunes via her account, that addition won't be added to my library, my XML file isn't updated - hence it won't be added to the slim database. A leap here - do ALL of the folders in your music library have the same permissions under VISTA?

I only have one user for this Vista system as I am the only person using it. It seems pretty strange, may be I will export the library to a separate XML file and try it.