PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please....

fuel2000
2008-09-12, 02:55
Hi,

I've decided i want to get some kind of Squeezebox, but i don't weather to go for a Duet, or a Classic with an Ipod touch as a controller. Does the Touch (with ipeng) work as well as the Squeezebox Controller? The price to buy either is near enough the same, so price is not an issue. Thanks in advance

exile
2008-09-12, 07:52
there's a whole thread discussion here about the benefits of the itouch vs duet controller. do a search on itouch and you should be able to find the thread.

personally, i use the itouch with a sb2 (classic) and it works well.

Nonreality
2008-09-12, 13:52
Hi,

I've decided i want to get some kind of Squeezebox, but i don't weather to go for a Duet, or a Classic with an Ipod touch as a controller. Does the Touch (with ipeng) work as well as the Squeezebox Controller? The price to buy either is near enough the same, so price is not an issue. Thanks in advance
I like having the screen on the SB3 (classic now) so I would choose the touch and classic setup. Plus you will have a simple remote to run it if your touch is being used for something else or is recharging. Best of both worlds.

iPhone
2008-09-12, 21:37
Hi,

The main difference I notice between the Controller and iPeng is that the Controller responds quicker. I'm not talking about I can use the Controller having an immediate response and I can use iPeng and go have a cup of coffee before it gets done, it is nothing like that. It is that I can notice that my iPhone has to go through another process before I see results. With the new Apple apps creator now being available, this could change on the iPhone. But for now, there are times when the Controller is faster then the iPhone.

If you need music on the go, you do have a good point that for about the same money you also get an iTouch if you go the SB Classic/iTouch route.

amcluesent
2008-09-13, 08:24
>Does the Touch (with ipeng) work as well as the Squeezebox Controller?<

IMHO, no. But a number of remote control apps are in development. Then again, with the 7.3 release, the SBC will be enabled for playback via it's headphone socket, so you'd get two players for the price of one (almost!)

fuel2000
2008-09-15, 09:27
Well i ordered the Duet in the end. I love it!! I have it going into my Arcam AVR350 and PMC FB1+ Speakers. I'm using the digital out and using the dacs in the Arcam, using the Duet dacs it sounded a little hard (still good though) I'm just loading all my CD's on to PC losslessly at the moment. 180 down and approx 400 more!!!