PDA

View Full Version : Nevo S70 - Slimserver

strawnj
2008-07-23, 06:31
Anyone know if the Nevo S70 can run slimserver? I need a remote to control my theater room and I will have a SB receiver to stream my flac tunes. I have purchased the Marantz AV8300 preprocessor and MM8003 amp paired with Paradigm's Studio Montior. I want a remote that will run my DVR well and have the ability to run slimserver.

Anyone know about Nevo S70 and slimserver?

radish
2008-07-23, 06:43
I can't imagine any remote being able to run SC. It does look like the Nevo has some form of web browsing so it should be able to connect to an SC box and show the UI, but that's about it.

strawnj
2008-07-23, 06:56
In settings>Interface there is a Nokia770 option. I thought just maybe this remote would be able to run SC. What do you think the limiting factors are? Screen Size?

schiegl
2008-07-23, 07:04
Hi,

those nevo remotes (Q50 + S70) are running a closed down Windows Mobile OS, this includes a browser (S70 only, probably a Mobile-IE) but certainly not the ability to install own software - not to mention a complete server like SC!

concerning controlling a remote SC:

I think the Handheld theme should work better than the Nokia one, because it better suites the format of the S70 display (portrait instead of landscape)...
Try both and you know for sure :-)

kind regards,
Markus

Mark Lanctot
2008-07-23, 07:07
In settings>Interface there is a Nokia770 option. I thought just maybe this remote would be able to run SC. What do you think the limiting factors are? Screen Size?

Running SC and merely displaying it are two different things. If the device has wi-fi and a web browser, it probably can display the web interface, the Nokia 770 is a good interface for a small touch screen.

However running it requires not-inconsiderable horsepower: a ~700 MHz CPU and 512 MB of RAM minimum, plus an OS that will allow you to install programs.

strawnj
2008-07-23, 10:23
Sorry I meant displaying it. My dealers says there are dealer notes the SC can be displayed. Sorry for the confusion. This is a $900 remote and I want to make sure it accomplishes controlling SC fairly well.

Mark Lanctot
2008-07-23, 10:36
Sorry I meant displaying it. My dealers says there are dealer notes the SC can be displayed. Sorry for the confusion. This is a $900 remote and I want to make sure it accomplishes controlling SC fairly well.

Will the dealer let you try it out? It should work fine if it's just displaying it - all you have to do is point it to the SC's IP address. It's just a web page, albeit a little more complex than a standard page.