PDA

View Full Version : File corruption with iTunes over NFS

EelcoV
2008-04-23, 11:35
Hello,

I have discovered a problem that I have failed to trace. It it this: sometimes when iTunes is used to modify tags on a song, that file becomes corrupted.

First my setup: Squeezebox 3, SqueezeCenter on a Linux (Fedora machine) with an NFS-mounted music collection. iMac with iTunes accessing that same music collection, also via NFS. The NFS-server is a Fedora machine as well.

What I do: I rip a CD track (using the program Max) to Apple Lossless. That file is placed in the music directory (mounted over NFS). The file plays fine on the Squeezebox and in iTunes. But when I use iTunes to modify tags of the file, that file becomes corrupted. When playing, there are brief, intense pulses of noise. That noise is clearly visible when using a visual sound editor such as Audacity. It is definitely the action of rewriting the tags that causes the file corruption.

This does not happen with all tracks, but when it happens with a track it happens all the time. Easily reproducible.

To test, I stored that same file/track on a local disk on the iMac. Now, iTunes causes no problem when rewriting tags. It is only when iTunes modifies tags in songs that are on an NFS-mounted drive.

I do not have this problem with any program other than iTunes. I have never experienced file corruption with other programs.

Has anyone seen this before? Any hints on how to troubleshoot, pin-point the problem? Any help in finding a solution?

Thanks!