PDA

View Full Version : TRACK or TRACKNUMBER in flac?

GoodVibrations
2008-02-24, 14:21
Hi,

SlimServerSupportedTags says that for flac it's "TRACKNUMBER" for, well, tracknumber.

I have this string in EAC:
-6 -V -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" -T comment="%e" -T "comment=EAC (Secure Mode)" %s

But when I look at the flac metadata in Mp3tag it says "TRACK" not "TRACKNUMBER"?

But Slimserver sorts the songs just fine.

Come to think of it. "date=%y" from EAC shows up as "YEAR" in Mp3tag.

Should I be worried? What am I doing wrong?
Is it just Mp3tag that calls the tags something else, or?

ceejay
2008-02-24, 15:20
mp3tag standardises tag names for all the different file types it will work with. Don't worry, enjoy the music.

JJZolx
2008-02-24, 15:24
Should I be worried? What am I doing wrong?
Is it just Mp3tag that calls the tags something else, or?

No, it's correct. You've figured out what's going on. In Mp3tag TRACK actually refers to the Flac field TRACKNUMBER. Same thing with DATE and YEAR. As far as I know, these are the only two field names in Flac files that Mp3tag maps to something else - everything else gets written literally.

There's a lot of name mapping going on behind the scenes in Mp3tag, but mostly for other types of audio files. If you look in Mp3tag's Help > Contents > Names and mapping of ID3v2/WMA tag fields, you'll see how Mp3tag field names are mapped to ID3 tags and to tags in other CODECs and applications. Unfortunately, the two Flac mappings aren't mentioned.

GoodVibrations
2008-02-24, 15:32
Thank you both.

That's 2 tags that I don't have to cleanup then.