PDA

View Full Version : Thinking to buy

mimish
2008-01-29, 07:59
Hi!

Currently I am a happy owner of Nad c542 + Nad c352. But, since most of my music is on my PC (in FLAC lossless format), I am considering to buy SB3. Thus, I have two questions:
1. How will compare the output from NAD C542 cd-player with the analogue output from SB3 (while playing FLAC files)?
2. Is that possible to watch a film on PC and redirect the sound to SB3?

Thank you in advance.

Mark Lanctot
2008-01-29, 08:04
1. How will compare the output from NAD C542 cd-player with the analogue output from SB3 (while playing FLAC files)?

I've never heard that CD player, but more importantly, I don't have your ears, speakers, room, equipment or taste, so I can't say and no one else can either.

The SB3 is a good source. Try it, if you don't like it there's a 30-day money back guarantee. Most people on this forum agree that it's at least as good as a midrange audiophile CD player.

2. Is that possible to watch a film on PC and redirect the sound to SB3?

No. The buffering delays make synch impossible.

mimish
2008-01-29, 08:13
I've never heard that CD player, but more importantly, I don't have your ears, speakers, room, equipment or taste, so I can't say and no one else can either.

The SB3 is a good source. Try it, if you don't like it there's a 30-day money back guarantee. Most people on this forum agree that it's at least as good as a midrange audiophile CD player.

Thanks for the fast reply. By comparing sound quality I meant comparing DACs.

And what is the definition of a midrange audiophile CD player?
Here in the UK new NAD c542 costs around $500-600.

Is there 30-days cash back guarantee for the UK?

Mark Lanctot
2008-01-29, 08:46
Thanks for the fast reply. By comparing sound quality I meant comparing DACs.

That's what I meant as well.

And what is the definition of a midrange audiophile CD player?
Here in the UK new NAD c542 costs around $500-600.

I believe that's what a lot of people compare it to. It won't beat the best of the best, that's the Transporter.

Is there 30-days cash back guarantee for the UK?

Oh - probably not, but don't you have very favourable product return laws anyway?

Phil Leigh
2008-01-29, 10:58
There is no such thing as a "mid-range audiophile CD player".
There are mid-range players - of which the NAD is a good example.
There are audiophile CD Players...dCS, Chord etc. They are not mid-range!

IMHO an SB3 will hold its own against mid range players.
an SB3+ good DAC will take on high-end players.
YMMV

Mark Lanctot
2008-01-29, 11:05
There is no such thing as a "mid-range audiophile CD player".
There are mid-range players - of which the NAD is a good example.
There are audiophile CD Players...dCS, Chord etc. They are not mid-range!

By "audiophile" CD player I meant something other than the consumer ones you get at Best Buy, i.e. no $29 Koss or RCA specials.

BlackAdder72
2008-01-30, 00:02
I'm thinking about buying as well. I had a SB1 (or maybe some even older version? this was 2001 or so) long ago and it was a good product.

I'm not sure whether to buy a Transporter or a Duet, though.

My receiver is an Marantz SR-8002 and my speakers are old Tannoy DC2000 dual concentric which are wonderful but date back to 1987. My CD player is a Marantz CC-65SE. I'm not sure if I would be better off investing in a Transporter or investing in some new speakers. Would folks describe the difference as dramatic? How much better is the latest SB likely to be than my old SB (which only had an analog component connection, and was "okay" but not great)? As my choice of receivers would suggest, I'm interested in high quality, but also clear bang for the buck.

The Transporter also does not come with the fancy new remote. One option would be to use an iPhone or a PSP as a wireless controller, but I would love to hear from someone who has done that regarding ease of setup and use.

Anyway, I'm sure some folks will tell me that I should get a Duet and then buy a Transporter down the road, and that's what I'm leaning towards since it will give me a chance to see if this setup is really user friendly enough to pack the CDs away (my main concern is the process of ripping and tagging), but I'm curious if anyone has any input for me.

Thanks much!
Barnaby

pfarrell
2008-01-30, 22:47
I'm not sure if I would be better off investing in a Transporter or investing in some new speakers.

The Transporter also does not come with the fancy new remote.

I recommend getting a Duet now, and new speakers. Later on, you can get the Transporter.

I control my Transporter with the Controller (beta) and it works great.

There are a huge number of really great speakers these days at the $1000 per pair price point. A Duet with $1000 speakers and any decent amp will be the beginnings of a good to great stereo.