PDA

View Full Version : some fairly noob Qs

mapatton
2007-11-25, 08:39
Sorry if this is not the correct forum area,,,

OK been using and loving my SB3. I recently upgraded the rest of the AV system and have some decisions to make.

I see that the SB3 can act as a wireless bridge. Is there anything I need to do other than connect it to another device with a crossover ethernet cable? I ask as I now have other "wired" network capable items (rec, HD-DVD, etc)

Any idea on what model BB DAC is in the SB3? I did a search and couldn't find it. I know I should do a comparison to see if it or the DAC in my Pios Elite VSX-94THX is better, but curious.

Next, I have run into a bit of a space issue (height wise). I would like to place the SB3 ontop of the receiver as it would present a better receiver venting solution than the Blu-ray sitting on the rec currently. Issue is I am short about 1/2 inch to have the SB3 fit.

Has anyone "attached" a SB3 to a wall (with the bottom section protuding into an opening)? Or made some sort of weight or attachment to the stand to keep it from falling over if the front of the SB3 is unsupported? (Sorry I know this is hard to picture without seeing it.

Many thanks!

Mark

funkstar
2007-11-25, 09:27
Any idea on what model BB DAC is in the SB3? I did a search and couldn't find it. I know I should do a comparison to see if it or the DAC in my Pios Elite VSX-94THX is better, but curious.
I can answer this bit :)

It's a Burr-Brown PCM1748E as detailed here:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?HardwareComparison

mapatton
2007-11-25, 09:52
I can answer this bit :)

It's a Burr-Brown PCM1748E as detailed here:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?HardwareComparison

Many thanks! That DAC is 96KHz/24-bit.
My receiver has a 192KHz/24-bit. Unknown at time which brand.

Odd thing is, I have the SB hooked up analog currently, but the rec is displaying 192MHz.

Guess I should just audition both ways. What dorve this Q is that I am recabling everything and was making a list.

AS far as mounting, I believe rather than affix to the wall, I would like to weight the back corners of the stand (or something like that). It appears that 1lb of weight (or less) is sufficient. Any thoughts on this?

mapatton
2007-11-25, 10:21
Well I have something workable as a proof of concept. Basically a small plastic case of hollow punches (like drill bits), sitting behind the SB3 to weight it. Will need to come up with something nicer (you can see it behind the SB3 if you are lying on the floor to the side).

Much better ventilation though for the receiver! Only a 2x2 inch section is covered vs the Blu-ray player being on top of it.

Any thoughts on a nicer solution. Should I be concerned with the material that is used to weight this down (steel vs say lead or tungsten)?

mikeruss
2007-12-01, 05:20
I can do the bridge bit.

All you need is a cross over cable and turn Bridging on.