PDA

View Full Version : QNAP TS-209 Hard Disk spin-down (yet again)

planetsweet
2007-11-19, 07:26
I, like many others seem to have experienced the problem of hard disks not spinning down during periods of inactivity.

I've discovered that if I disable the "xPL interface" plug-in then the disks do spin down. I offer this as a "works for me" solution as I can't imagine that the process of selectively disabling plug-ins has not been throroughly explored so perhaps this won't work in every case.

I assume that leaving the web interface to SlimServer open will generate disk-reads on the QNAP too, so that needs to be closed to allow the disks to spin down.

The only problem I have now is that when I click on the "AlienBBC" link in the brower, the left half of the page goes blank with the right side containing the player interface as normal. The plug-in seems to work ok when accessed using the remote control/squeezebox. Any ideas?

Steve

sand
2007-11-19, 07:59
Sorry, but what is xPL?

(I've been able to get my drive to spin down - if I kill the slimserver process AND unplugg the network cable..)

planetsweet
2007-11-19, 08:13
I'm not very familiar with xPL but there is some information about it here: http://wiki.xplproject.org.uk

I simply set it to not load at: Home/Server Settings/Plugins in the SlimServer settings.