PDA

View Full Version : New iPod Touch possible candidate for SS controller?

MikeWynneDub
2007-09-06, 13:23
Hi,

As you probably all know, the new iPod Touch has Wi-Fi and the Safari browser built in.

I'm thinking one could use it to run SS in the home?

Maybe with a groovy new skin?

Regards

Mike

ddewey
2007-09-06, 13:30
Quoting MikeWynneDub (MikeWynneDub.2wi9ro1189110302 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> Hi,
>
> As you probably all know, the new iPod Touch has Wi-Fi and the Safari
> browser built in.
>
> I'm thinking one could use it to run SS in the home?
>
> Maybe with a groovy new skin?

I'm going to keep posting this on every iPod Touch/iPhone thread. :-)

The iPhone / iPodTouch works great with the Nokia770 skin already.
Nothing new or iPhone specific necessary.

MikeWynneDub
2007-09-06, 13:47
Quoting MikeWynneDub (MikeWynneDub.2wi9ro1189110302 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

I'm going to keep posting this on every iPod Touch/iPhone thread. :-)

The iPhone / iPodTouch works great with the Nokia770 skin already.
Nothing new or iPhone specific necessary.

Wunderbar!

Probably should've known... :-)

bklaas
2007-09-06, 14:06
The one time I saw Nokia770 skin in action on an iPhone, I thought it actually had a number of pretty bad quirks (all css-related, i.e., page layout) that needed fixing. Those quirks will exist in the iPod Touch as well.

I should note that the Nokia770 skin works *even better* on the Nokia770 and N800, which are touchscreen, wifi, multimedia playing, voip capable, SD flash storing, email reading, web surfing, internet tablets. Kind of like that product that Apple just announced*. Of course, the difference with the Nokia is that it's been available for *two years*. I'm just sayin'. :)

cheers,
#!/ben

Grahame
2007-09-06, 14:34
Not to mention you can now pick up the 770, for less than the price drop of the iPhone.

Nor forgetting that the 770/800's have a 4.1" 800x480 225ppi screen

Whereas for Apple
http://www.intomobile.com/2007/03/11/apple-iphone-disappointing-lcd-screen.html
"The screen is 320 pixels across and 480 pixels high, wth a 160 ppi (pixels per inch) pixel density. This is a fairly typical resolution among current smartphones and really isnít that bad. However, Apple is known for innovation and trend setting design. This resolution is neither innovative nor trend setting."

Just Sayin'

adamslim
2007-09-06, 14:49
480x320? rubbish. i find the nokia 770 fine for both SS and browsing, but my pocket pc phone, at 3.5" 640x480, was too small. i'm sure it's got a great interface, but that resolution is a killer for me.

shame - i like the price. the nokia 800 must drop now, surely?

adam

fuzzyT
2007-09-06, 14:53
Grahame wrote:
> Nor forgetting that the 770/800's have a 4.1" 800x480 225ppi screen

Also not to forget that the Nokias are _*OPEN DEVICES*_. The maker
fully expects and supports users developing and deploying custom, native
software on their devices.

The iPod Touch doesn't have an email client, and IM client, a VOIP
client, a microphone, or a Bluetooth stack that will let you use an
external mic, keyboard or GPS receiver. The Nokias have a microphone,
video camera, Bluetooth connectivity and choices among several native
s/w clients for email, VOIP and IM. As well as some fine media player
software.

I'm happy to see these nice Apple products on the market, and I'm glad
everyone is so excited about them, but it's not like they're the first
to the party, or even have a clearly superior offering.

--rt

JJZolx
2007-09-06, 15:14
The one time I saw Nokia770 skin in action on an iPhone, I thought it actually had a number of pretty bad quirks (all css-related, i.e., page layout) that needed fixing. Those quirks will exist in the iPod Touch as well.

I should note that the Nokia770 skin works *even better* on the Nokia770 and N800, which are touchscreen, wifi, multimedia playing, voip capable, SD flash storing, email reading, web surfing, internet tablets. Kind of like that product that Apple just announced*. Of course, the difference with the Nokia is that it's been available for *two years*. I'm just sayin'.
I'd be willing to bet that Apple sells 10 times the number of iPod Touch in six months that Nokia has sold of the 770/N800 in two years.

I could never bring myself to spring for a Nokia tablet, but I'm ready to preorder an iPod Touch. I'm sure someone around here could fix up the 770 skin for the Touch.

MikeWynneDub
2007-09-06, 15:39
OP here again...

I'm sure the Nokia 770/N800 are cool devices but (and it's a big BUT) they're not iPods.

I use an iPod as my portable player and SS+SB3 as my home system.

Instead of iPod/Nokia/SS+SB3, I could have iPod/SS+SB3 - thus, one less gadget to worry about/lose/bugger up.

I must say though, that 16GB is a pretty meagre storage allowance on a 'new' media player..

JJZolx
2007-09-06, 16:03
I must say though, that 16GB is a pretty meagre storage allowance on a 'new' media player..

It's solid state storage, isn't it? That's a good amount of flash. If the evolution of the iPod Nano is any indication, they'll be doubling the storage capacities soon enough. I'd guess that they're also working on a disk-based device using the same user interface. The interface alone will sell millions of these things.

The ultimate would be if Logitech could someone work with Apple to get the iPod Touch's incredible music browsing interface to control Slim Server. I'm not sure there's any incentive for either Apple or Logitech, though. Logitech wants to sell their own remotes and Apple has its own wireless music devices.

crooner
2007-09-06, 16:21
I also find the new iPod Touch very attractive. More so than the Nokia device. I briefly owned a 770 and ultimately found it somewhat lacking. The stylus operation is a weak point of the design, IMO.

I agree that the Touch will sell millions. A winner in my book.

ddewey
2007-09-06, 18:06
Quoting adamslim (adamslim.2widpb1189115401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> 480x320? rubbish. i find the nokia 770 fine for both SS and browsing,
> but my pocket pc phone, at 3.5" 640x480, was too small. i'm sure it's
> got a great interface, but that resolution is a killer for me.

Have you tried the multi-touch interface? Between that and the
landscape mode, the iPhone (same dealio as the ipod touch) has the
best browsing interface on a smart device I've used. And I own/use
a Nokia 770, and have had many 'smartphones.' Every phone I've owned
in the past 7+ years has had web browsing capability, the best so
far being the Motorola Q I just dumped, but the mobile Safari
browser blows it away. It's the first mobile browser I've had
that's truly USABLE. Usable in that I'll actually pull it up and do
work on it rather than get frustrated and wait until I get to a
'real' computer as was formally the case.

For cred, I'm not an Apple fanboy; they only Apple devices I own are
the iPhone and an 80 gb iPod, but spend some time with their
multi-touch devices and you'll become a fan fast.

And to respond to an earlier post, while it's not the same as having
a native client for these things, having the Safari browser gives
you an email client, IM applications and more. There are also
third-party native clients for the iPhone coming out by the day, and
the iPod Touch uses the same OS as the iPhone; I've heard it's the
same binaries.

I have seen reports that the new iPod touch has been seen to have
Bluetooth icons, but I have not heard that verified. I frankly
don't know why it would, since even the Bluetooth on the iPhone
won't do music, only Bluetooth telephone headsets.

kjg
2007-09-06, 22:13
ron thigpen wrote:

> I'm happy to see these nice Apple products on the market, and I'm glad
> everyone is so excited about them, but it's not like they're the first
> to the party, or even have a clearly superior offering.
>
> --rt

One only has to spend a few minutes with the iPhone to be convinced that the offering is clearly superior. The iPod Touch is new and still an unknown, but features themselves only tell part of the story.

- Ken (Happy iPhone user, so far)

erland
2007-09-06, 22:52
I think the iPod Touch really has a huge potential, the nice thing with it is that it can be a combined SlimServer controller, portable device and information central.

It's still left to see if the music synchronization will be limited to iTunes or if it will be hackable so third party applications also can perform the synchronization.

My vision would be a portable device that:
- Is small enough to put in a pocket
- Has at least about 6GB storage to carry music with you
- Has the ability to synchronize its storage with SlimServer (without iTunes).
- Can act as a SlimServer controller
- Can work as a general information central for simple internet browsing.
- Can be used to preview and buy music online so it is downloaded automatically to your SlimServer library and the portable device.

I think the iPod Touch has potential to be this device, if only Apple has made it open enough to run/integrate third party applications with it. Knowing the previous releases from Apple, this is probably not the case, so I'm guessing that the hope that remains is that someone hacks it. SlimServer control will work out of the box, the problem is making music synchronization and purchasing possible without iTunes.

There is one thing to think about with the iPod Touch though, when you think about it the iPhone is almost the same device with the huge advantage that you can be online also outside wifi access areas. Previously I thought about the iPhone as a mobile phone, but the iPod Touch really got me to think that the phone/communication part of the iPhone might actually not be the thing I would use most. I'm just not sure yet if the iPhone would be to correct choice if music/media playing is the major usage area, iPod Touch might be better for this even if i would miss the online access outside wifi areas.

I was dangerously close to the preorder button on Apples site yesterday.

fredbloggs
2007-09-07, 04:55
Has the ability to synchronize its storage with SlimServer (without iTunes).

I thought you were looking into utilising GnuPod for synchronising the Slimserver music with Ipod based devices. Perhaps this will work for the iTouch as well.

Mark

erland
2007-09-07, 07:41
I thought you were looking into utilising GnuPod for synchronising the Slimserver music with Ipod based devices. Perhaps this will work for the iTouch as well.

I'm still hoping it does, but I've read that the iPhone has totally different file structure than the previous iPod so there might be problems if the iPod Touch file structure looks like the iPhone. As I've understand it you can't even access the file system om the iPhone directly by default, it must be hacked first.

But, I'm still hoping...