PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here with question before buying multiple squeezeboxes

Blue_Joe
2007-08-15, 09:34
Hi All!!!

Quick question, I've been reading through this section trying to find an answer and only found a partial answer so far so thought I would ask!

I want to set up a multiroom music system that runs off the music on my PC which resides in the office upstairs so I need to give 3 rooms access to it that are all downstairs!

Lounge - I have a full system of seperates and big sound setup which I was going to attach a squeezebox to.

Sitting Room - In here just want to use a squeezebox and use Harman Kardon Soundsticks (smallish room)

Kitchen - Similar type setup to sitting room.

Now heres the questions:

1) I have read that I can syncronize all the squeezeboxes so they all play the same music, however can this be switched on and off from one of the squeezeboxes so I don't have to run upstairs to the PC?

2) Can I select 2 to be sync'd and one playing independantly at the squeezeboxes?

3) Can I select what music is played on all 3 devices simultaniously from one of the squeezeboxes? As well as what is played individually via each box?

Basically I dont want to have to run upstairs everytime I want to change how I listen to the music?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Eric Seaberg
2007-08-15, 09:54
Yes, you can do all that you want without having to touch your server, or you can access the server with any computer's web browser and set them up, as well.

I've got a Transporter in the living room and an SB3 in the master bedroom, as well as softsqueeze running on the Mac G5 in my office... all being served by a Mac MINI that hides in a closet with a big drive attached. ALL can be synced together or not, or setup in pairs or not.

Are you planning on running them all wireless? You may have bandwidth issues DEPENDING ON the file type you want to play. If you're sticking with MP3s or a lower bandwidth format, syncing will not be an issue. If you're planning on playing FLAC or Apple Lossless with much higher bandwidth requirements, then syncing may get tough to do with 3-playback devices.

In my setup the only wireless device is the SB3 with everything else being wired. No sync issues for me, even running Apple Lossless.

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-15, 09:54
Yes, yes, and yes. That's really the whole point of the Squeezebox - that you don't have to go to a computer. It's what differentiates it from the "long audio cable"/soundcard-type products.

Blue_Joe
2007-08-15, 10:10
Fantastic News!!!!!!

now just got to fork out for all 3 and get reading up on how to do it all!

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-15, 10:12
You can install SlimServer right now. SoftSqueeze will emulate an SB3, but it's a little quirky.

Blue_Joe
2007-08-15, 10:14
Fantastic News!!!!!!

re you planning on running them all wireless? You may have bandwidth issues DEPENDING ON the file type you want to play. If you're sticking with MP3s or a lower bandwidth format, syncing will not be an issue. If you're planning on playing FLAC or Apple Lossless with much higher bandwidth requirements, then syncing may get tough to do with 3-playback devices.

I would like to run them all as wireless as I don't want a maze of wiring running round the house. If I had to hard wire them then it would mean channelling all the wire into teh wall to hide it and thats a bit of a ball ache!

Is there major quality issues with playing them as MP3's?

now just got to fork out for all 3 and get reading up on how to do it all!

Blue_Joe
2007-08-15, 10:20
I currently have a Philips RC9800i remote that is supposed to stream music and video wirelessly from my PC using their Streamium however I have still not managed to get it to work properly with anywhere near any quality. The music is soooo crackely it is awful and sounds as if it is about to blow my speakers. Was very disappointed, particularly as I bought it to get rid of all my remotes for my TV, DVD, Sky box (satellite) etc. It works really well for that..... except it's frequency range is not capable of matching my Sky remote which is the main remote!

So lost all faith in their Streamium boxes. And they are very limited it seems!

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-15, 10:22
I would like to run them all as wireless as I don't want a maze of wiring running round the house. If I had to hard wire them then it would mean channelling all the wire into teh wall to hide it and thats a bit of a ball ache!

Your typical maximum bandwidth with 802.11g is 25 Mbps. You won't ever get 54 Mbps despite what the manufacturer says or the "data rate" the spec or your laptop reports.

To play a FLAC stream on the Squeezebox you need the FLAC bitrate (assume 1 Mbps) + overhead, it's safe to assume 1.5 Mbps total. 1.5 Mbps X 3 = 4.5 Mbps, you might even be able to do this with 802.11b.

Is there major quality issues with playing them as MP3's?

Apparently most people can't tell if you get to high bitrates. The question is more for archiving. If ever your equipment/hearing/preferences get to the point where you can tell, you won't have to re-rip.

ChrisNY
2007-08-15, 10:23
One possible thing to look into as a compromise would be the HomePlug powerline type of setup. If you search for Homeplug on the boards you should be able to find lots of info. I personally don't use this as wireless meets my needs, but I've heard good things in general.

http://www.homeplug.org/home

brucegrr
2007-08-15, 10:46
As with anything wireless your mileage will vary. Every home is different. Distance, things that cause interference, etc all affect your wireless quality.

Blue_Joe
2007-08-15, 10:57
As with anything wireless your mileage will vary. Every home is different. Distance, things that cause interference, etc all affect your wireless quality.

The current setup where I am having MAJOR quality issues there is ONE stud (plasterboard) wall and a distance of about 10mtrs - Not a distance or set of obstructions that should cause any issues!

brucegrr
2007-08-15, 11:13
I have 2 squeezeboxes. One wired. one wireless. Using a headless Win XP computer as server. Using a Dlink 635 Wireless router.

The wireless is 25 feet away from the router. Around the corner and through two walls. I get occasional drop outs. Maybe once or twice a day. Usually just rebuffers and I am fine. I do not consider this a Squeezebox problem I consider it a problem inherent to wireless in general. So many variables. When I sync the players I do get more drop outs. I suspect this is more a Squeezebox problem.

People expect wireless technology to work each and every time without a hitch. 100% signal, 100% of the time. I think they are being unrealistic. (especially if we are using windows products :)

JJZolx
2007-08-15, 11:32
3) Can I select what music is played on all 3 devices simultaniously from one of the squeezeboxes? As well as what is played individually via each box?

Basically I dont want to have to run upstairs everytime I want to change how I listen to the music?

If you have two, three or more Squeezeboxes synched, then selecting music to play on any one of them will play on all SBs in the synch group. If the SB that you're on is not synched, then you control only that player.

Using the remote you can't control another Squeezebox that's not synched with the one you're at. I'm not sure if there's much demand for that capability, though.

adamslim
2007-08-15, 11:52
If you get a Nokia 770 or 800, you can control any Squeezebox from anywhere, and change the server settings or anything, all with the standard GUI. Buy one and you'll want more :)

Adam

Yesfan70
2007-08-16, 13:16
I plan on doing a 3 room zone much like Blue Joe, two wired and one wireless for me. I already have one for my main system downstairs.

I have a question that's semi-related. With the wireless setup, is there anything you have to do if you move it from one zone to another? Let's say I have this SB in one of the back bedrooms and I wanted to put it on the deck for a Saturday evening as background music for friends. Can I just unplug it and move it to an outside wall outlet or is there some sort of setup I will have to go through every time it is unplugged/replugged?

snarlydwarf
2007-08-16, 13:20
I have a question that's semi-related. With the wireless setup, is there anything you have to do if you move it from one zone to another? Let's say I have this SB in one of the back bedrooms and I wanted to put it on the deck for a Saturday evening as background music for friends. Can I just unplug it and move it to an outside wall outlet or is there some sort of setup I will have to go through every time it is unplugged/replugged?

The SB remembers its own MAC address... (and IP/etc if you have configured those). The rest come from the server, which finds the player based on MAC.

So, no, you can move it around as much as you want as long as you don't drop it.

iballan
2008-09-25, 02:32
I'm planning to buy a reciever for the bathroom. I would like it to be sync'ed with my livingroom all the time. If i unplug the power from the reciever and plug it in again. How will it then react? Will it sync right away or will it not sync? If it sync's, wil it cause the music stop playing for a few seconds?

ModelCitizen
2008-09-25, 03:55
Lounge - I have a full system of seperates and big sound setup which I was going to attach a squeezebox to.
Sitting Room - In here just want to use a squeezebox and use Harman Kardon Soundsticks (smallish room)
Kitchen - Similar type setup to sitting room.
Your set up is virtually the same as mine (with one exception, see below). I have two Controllers and umpteen remotes and use all to control and sync. It works very well. Although syncing works well it is not intuitive, but should be vastly improved with the release of 7.3

Anyway, you forgot your bedroom. Might as well think ahead and get a Boom now.
:-)

MC

iballan
2008-09-25, 04:59
Your set up is virtually the same as mine (with one exception, see below). I have two Controllers and umpteen remotes and use all to control and sync. It works very well. Although syncing works well it is not intuitive, but should be vastly improved with the release of 7.3

Anyway, you forgot your bedroom. Might as well think ahead and get a Boom now.
:-)

MC

You are anwering an 1 year old post. Please stick to my new question.

JJZolx
2008-09-25, 05:40

Why in the world are you asking a new question in a one year old thread?

iballan
2008-09-25, 05:56
Why in the world are you asking a new question in a one year old thread?

Because my header would be exactly the same "Newbie Here with question before buying multiple squeezeboxes".

I just thought that it would be a good idea to gather all related information in the same thread.

I will create a new thread in the future, if that is the way this forum likes it.

ModelCitizen
2008-09-25, 06:27
Crikey. You know how to get the best out of people don't you?

MC

iballan
2008-09-25, 06:42
Crikey. You know how to get the best out of people don't you?

MC

I'm sorry, i just couldn't se the relevans of your post. But now my qestion has drowned in this stuppid discussion.

I will do my own research tonight, to see what happens when i unplug my reciever while it is synced and then plug it in again. The answer maybee could be usefull to other users. I'll guess i can simulate the multiplayer-setup with softsqueeze and the reciever i got in my duet bundle.

I will wait buying the new reciever until tomorrow, just thought i could get help from the forum so i could buy my new toy today. :)

ModelCitizen
2008-09-25, 12:05
I will do my own research tonight, to see what happens when i unplug my reciever while it is synced and then plug it in again.
Although answering a year old question my post still had some relevance. SC7.3 includes the aptly titled "New Streaming". Any results you get testing with 7.2 might not hold true for 7.3.

In addition, testing with the software player SoftSqueeze might not give you true results.

BTW. New Streaming has been developed because the current streaming method is deemed inadequate for synchronisation. One of the things NS cures is the annoying glitch/gap you get between tracks on mix albums (or classical music) when players are synced.

MC

G-dude
2008-09-26, 05:36
I find the computer has to be wired...the squeezeboxes don't necessarily.

Mac OSX 10.5 (wired)
Squeezebox Duet (wired)
Slim SB3 (wireless)

I use my Duet controller to run both the Squeezebox and the Slim SB3 and routinely sync and un-sync them with no problems...quite awesome actually.