PDA

View Full Version : FS or trade: wired SB3 for wireless SB3

taloyd
2007-05-30, 16:17
Hello,

I have a wired SB3 which I bought because I never envisioned having the computer far from my stereo, but I have since moved (into a bigger place with a bedroom) and now have the computer in the bedroom instead of the living room, and so a wired connection is out.

Does anybody want to swap a wired SB3 for a wireless? I can throw in $50 cash.

I really don't want to shell out another $300 on a SB3 when I already have one...

Feel free to email me if you interested:
taloyd AT gmail DOT com

thanks,
-Tal

ps: I hope the moderators don't delete this...

SuperQ
2007-05-30, 16:44
Hello,

I have a wired SB3 which I bought because I never envisioned having the computer far from my stereo, but I have since moved (into a bigger place with a bedroom) and now have the computer in the bedroom instead of the living room, and so a wired connection is out.

Does anybody want to swap a wired SB3 for a wireless? I can throw in $50 cash.

I really don't want to shell out another $300 on a SB3 when I already have one...

Feel free to email me if you interested:
taloyd AT gmail DOT com

thanks,
-Tal

ps: I hope the moderators don't delete this...

You might be able to get SD to mail you a wireless card for the SB3.. it's not difficult to add it, it just snaps in.

I havn't searched the forum, but it's probably posted somewhere which model the boards is. I'll open up my SB3 when I get home and post what I find out.

JJZolx
2007-05-30, 17:13
If you can't find a trade and SD isn't able to sell you a wireless adapter, you can also use a separate, external wireless 'converter'.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162168

crooner
2007-05-30, 17:18
I was wondering if any generic mini-PCI wireless card would work.

I tried changing the wireless card inside my laptop with a Mimo mini PCI, and it was recognized by Windows but the drivers would not load properly.

However, if other mini PCI cards work with the SB2/SB3, it may be possible to upgrade to a newer wireless card using an improved protocol (Draft N) in the future.

JJZolx
2007-05-30, 17:30
I was wondering if any generic mini-PCI wireless card would work.
Not likely. I'm pretty sure the Squeezebox firmware would only have the driver necessary for the particular brand/model of card that SD installs. Maybe if the card had the same chip, it might work.

taloyd
2007-05-30, 17:37
I actually purchased a
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180035
and that's the reason why I want to get a wireless SB3... the thing is driving me crazy. Despite being hooked up locally, the computer can't find it MOST of the time (SOMEtime it can, and that's what annoys me), and so if I'm having this much trouble trying to get it to simply be a wireless bridge, using it attached to the SB3, which can't give me a status report, only yes/no as to connection is going to drive me up the wall. Additionally, I'd much prefer to minimize the # of cables... I already have a ridiculous amount of cables, as I have a complete 5.1 home theater as well as a very high-end actively tri-amplified stereo setup in the same room...

If someone can ID the infamous wireless mini-PCI card/chip I can try to track one down... that'd be the simplest solution as I don't need to sell/trade my SB3...

thanks,

-Tal

crooner
2007-05-30, 17:51
My SB has an "Atheros" based wireless card. You may want to google it up. There may be a source for them...

SuperQ
2007-05-30, 18:36
After a couple of seconds with a T-10, my SB3 (all-black, got it 2-3 months ago)
On a sticker on the RF shield:
IEEE 802.11b/g WLAN mini-PCI card
Model: WLANTPBG
FCC ID: Q72WLANTPBG

Printed on the board:
Wireless 11b/g mini-PCI 560

Hah.. a google search for the FCC ID links to:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/archive/index.php/t-18923.html

Older SB2s have N13-AT53V216 (older Atheros chipset)
Newer SB2s and SB3 both have Q72WLANTPBG (newer Atheros chipset)

I can't seem to find any other references to this specific card.

I guess I would have to throw the card in my soekris to figure out exactly which chipset it is. :-(

crooner
2007-05-30, 18:41
Great info!

Looks like I have the older variety of the Atheros card. I've just bought another SB2, I wonder what chipset this one is going to have.

For what it's worth, wireless on my machine is flawless. Fantastic performance.

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-30, 20:49
BTW here are some specifics on the SB3 card, from http://www.hothardware.com/articles/Squeezebox_Wireless_Media_Player1/?page=5

On the top of the stack rests the 802.11g mini-PCI wireless card complete with its two antennas. After doing a bit of digging, it appears as though this wireless card is made by a vendor named TP-Link who seems to have some products that are very similar to Linksys.

TP-Link's wireless mini-PCI card is here: http://www.tp-link.com/products/product_des.asp?id=43, the "TL-WN560G". I highly doubt you could get this at a computer store, it looks to be available only to OEMs.

crooner
2007-05-30, 21:21
One way to obtain a mini PCI wireless card is by cannibalizing a wireless router. You have to find out what brands use this particular kind of chipset. Not too hard given the FCC ID information.

crooner
2007-05-30, 21:24
I was looking at the TP-Link site. Given that most routers use internal mini PCI wireless cards, there's a fairly good chance that the TL-WR541G router shown on the page uses the very same TL-WN560G card.

There's one on eBay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-TP-LINK-54M-Wireless-Router-eXtended-Range_W0QQitemZ120125689399QQihZ002QQcategoryZ4499 7QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's just a matter of prying it open and taking the mini PCI card out.

SuperQ
2007-05-30, 21:52
It's just a matter of prying it open and taking the mini PCI card out.

Oh.. one other thing.. if you have a wired SB3, it has internal antennas.. those might not be there.. that could be a huge bummer.

crooner
2007-05-30, 21:59
Oh.. one other thing.. if you have a wired SB3, it has internal antennas.. those might not be there.. that could be a huge bummer.

Yeah, that's right.
There's a fella who adapted a pair of regular Wi-Fi antennas to the rear of his SB3. The search function should bring that thread up.

Having those external antennas should actually improve performance compared to the stock aerials.

Pale Blue Ego
2007-05-31, 04:14
Or, just get a pair of homeplug network adapters. These create a wired connection using your building's existing electrical wiring. Just plug one in near your router, and the other near the Squeezebox.

A pair of them costs about $80.

taloyd
2007-05-31, 07:59
I think I might just go this route. It seems trying to trade or purchase/sell to get a wireless for my wired SB3 is going to cost just as much...

Also the Homeplug concept can be used for a lot of things...

thanks,

-Tal

Pale Blue Ego
2007-05-31, 10:34
I've got 2 SB3s on homeplug connections and the technology works flawlessly. Even the original specification, which is 14mbps, is plenty for uncompressed audio.

I also like the idea that, unlike a wired ethernet connection, I can easily move the SB3s to any other room, or even outdoors.

Also note that once you have the original pair, any subsequent connections you want to make will only require 1 additional adapter, not 2.