PDA

View Full Version : iTunes 7.1 sort fields

FunkyOdor
2007-03-06, 07:35
So Apple just released iTunes 7.1, adding support for artist and album sort fields. I know that integration with SlimServer's "Use iTunes" functionality will require a server update. But has anyone here know if Apple did this using the TSOA and TSOP fields, thereby automatically adding custom artist and album sorting with Slim via non-use-iTunes?

Philip Meyer
2007-03-06, 15:44
>So Apple just released iTunes 7.1, adding support for artist and album
>sort fields. I know that integration with SlimServer's "Use iTunes"
>functionality will require a server update. But has anyone here know
>if Apple did this using the TSOA and TSOP fields, thereby automatically
>adding custom artist and album sorting with Slim via non-use-iTunes?

I just tried this in iTunes. I set an artist sort order within iTunes, and then inspected the tags that it saved using mp3Tag, and also looked at the start of the file in a hex editor. iTunes stored a TXXX frame called PERFORMERSORTORDER tag.

I enter all my ARTISTSORT tags using TXXX ARTISTSORT frames via mp3Tag, which Slimserver recognises.

It looks like Slimserver will need a change to support the new iTunes frames. It's interesting that iTunes has added support for sort fields for title, artist, album artist, album, composer and show. It would be nice if SlimServer could support all of these.

Show is rather interesting for me, as I have a lot of live concerts from the live music archive. I may decide to put the date of the show in there, or maybe venue.

Phil