PDA

View Full Version : FLAC or WAV ?

USAudio
2007-01-26, 15:12
I have a wireless SqueezeBox3 and all my music files were ripped in Apple Lossless using iTunes.

In my slim server's FILE CONVERSION FORMAT SETUP, File Format Apple Lossless is checked to Stream in Formats FLAC and WAV.
Is the server going to stream in FLAC or WAV?

Will I get better network performance if I uncheck the Apple Lossless -> WAV conversion to force it to use FLAC?
Or is it likely streaming with FLAC anyways?

norman12
2007-01-26, 15:24
It will be converted on the server to FLAC, slimserver will always convert (or use) the first format selected.

SteveEast
2007-01-26, 16:03
You can always check to see what's actually being used by looking at the processes that are running while playing. If you're transcoding to FLAC then alac.exe and flac.exe will be running. Transcoding to WAV will only show alac.exe.

The above is only true for Windows, but I assume a close variant of it is true for the other platforms.

Steve.

RalphO
2007-01-26, 16:09
You can always check to see what's actually being used by looking at the processes that are running while playing. If you're transcoding to FLAC then alac.exe and flac.exe will be running. Transcoding to WAV will only show alac.exe.

The above is only true for Windows, but I assume a close variant of it is true for the other platforms.

Steve.

How do look at what processes are running?

SteveEast
2007-01-26, 16:12
Task Manager. Right click on an empty space in the Taskbar and select Task Manager.

Steve.

RalphO
2007-01-26, 16:16
Task Manager. Right click on an empty space in the Taskbar and select Task Manager.

Steve.

Thanks. I have never noticed the Processes tab before.

SteveEast
2007-01-26, 16:20
Different strokes for different folks. I pretty much permanently have a CPU sorted process list running.

Steve.

Wilfred
2007-01-26, 17:59
I find the whole FILE CONVERSION FORMAT SETUP page very confusing. I know that I have seen some explanation in some post, but the search function is not too useful. For example, searching for the key words FILE CONVERSION gives no hits, even though it is in the OP's lead post. How do I know that Slimserver is sending FLAC files to my SB3? If I uncheck the FLAC/WAV line box, which it seems to make sense to do, the SB can't open any files.

USAudio
2007-01-26, 18:21
It will be converted on the server to FLAC, slimserver will always convert (or use) the first format selected.
Thanks! In my case, the first one selected is Apple Lossless -> FLAC.

Followup question: It's my understanding that I can't FWD or REW songs with my SqueezeBox3 because I ripped my songs with Apple Lossless... but if the song is being converted to FLAC on the fly before it's streamed to the Squeezebox3 then shouldn't I be able to FWD and REW songs since it's FLAC when the SqueezeBox3 receives it?

How does that all work?

snarlydwarf
2007-01-26, 18:25
I find the whole FILE CONVERSION FORMAT SETUP page very confusing. I know that I have seen some explanation in some post, but the search function is not too useful. For example, searching for the key words FILE CONVERSION gives no hits, even though it is in the OP's lead post. How do I know that Slimserver is sending FLAC files to my SB3? If I uncheck the FLAC/WAV line box, which it seems to make sense to do, the SB can't open any files.

Well, I would recommend you just not change the defaults. The defaults Do The Right Thing most of the time.

The SB can do FLAC just fine... so why not just send FLAC to the SB? It can do WAV, but why waste the bandwidth? By default it will convert WAV to FLAC on the fly.

SteveEast
2007-01-26, 18:40
Followup question: It's my understanding that I can't FWD or REW songs with my SqueezeBox3 because I ripped my songs with Apple Lossless... but if the song is being converted to FLAC on the fly before it's streamed to the Squeezebox3 then shouldn't I be able to FWD and REW songs since it's FLAC when the SqueezeBox3 receives it?

How does that all work?

The FF/RW only works if the song is actually FLAC encoded. If it has to be transcoded to FLAC then you're out of luck.

Steve.

USAudio
2007-01-26, 19:40
The FF/RW only works if the song is actually FLAC encoded. If it has to be transcoded to FLAC then you're out of luck.
Ah, gotcha, makes sense.
Thanks Steve

geraint smith
2007-01-27, 16:03

Steve.

Unless you get iTunes to convert all your ALAC files to AIFF. Then Slimserver can send them to Squeezebox as they are, to be read in their native tongue, and then SB's FF and REW spring once more into life. Converting ALAC to AIFF, of course, doubles the storage you need but otherwise there are no disadvantages (whereas, annoyingly, iTunes and iPods won't work with FLAC, while WAV doesn't like tags).

Geraint.

USAudio
2007-01-28, 13:52
Unless you get iTunes to convert all your ALAC files to AIFF. Then Slimserver can send them to Squeezebox as they are, to be read in their native tongue, and then SB's FF and REW spring once more into life. Converting ALAC to AIFF, of course, doubles the storage you need but otherwise there are no disadvantages (whereas, annoyingly, iTunes and iPods won't work with FLAC, while WAV doesn't like tags).
Thanks Geraint. I didn't know AIFF maintained tags. I guess the only disadvantage would be network performance since we'd then be streaming an uncompressed file?

geraint smith
2007-01-28, 14:07
Thanks Geraint. I didn't know AIFF maintained tags. I guess the only disadvantage would be network performance since we'd then be streaming an uncompressed file?

One of the format's lesser-known advantages - full range of tags, no problem. Everyone seems to think that Aiff is like .wav in this. It isn't!

Network performance is not a problem with Aiff either, though. In fact, I find the position may be exactly the reverse of that which you suggest. I have no trouble at all streaming AIFF, whereas I suspect (and it is only 'suspect', because I have not done any rigorous side-by-side averaged tests, which might take days) that I have more problems with lacunae while streaming ALAC. If it is true, it would be to do with fact that ALAC must be transcoded on the fly into a format that the Squeezebox can handle whereas it can handle Aiff as it is. The speed of an Airport Extreme G network (54Mbps) is itself more than ample to handle either Aiff or ALAC, provided there are no intrusive microwave ovens or cordless phones around - which certainly can cause drop-outs. I use an Airport Extreme next to the SB2, linked to it by ethernet. Works a treat - and most of my library is Aiff.

Geraint.

funkstar
2007-01-28, 14:40
that really doesn't make a lot of sense. ALAC will be transcoded to either FLAC or WAV. If it is WAV it will have the same data rate as AIFF, if it transcodes to FLAC, this will use 40-60% of the bandwidth.

If you have problems streaming transcoded ALAC, i would guess there are other issues rather than network bandwidth.

geraint smith
2007-01-28, 15:42
that really doesn't make a lot of sense. ALAC will be transcoded to either FLAC or WAV. If it is WAV it will have the same data rate as AIFF, if it transcodes to FLAC, this will use 40-60% of the bandwidth.

If you have problems streaming transcoded ALAC, i would guess there are other issues rather than network bandwidth.

To which post are you referring, Funkstar? You appear to be saying that there's no sense in a post the argument of which you then repeat exactly, viz. that there appears to be no problem with bandwidth for either ALAC or .aiff in an Airport Extreme network using Airport Express as an ethernet bridge; but that there may be more of a problem streaming ALAC as a result, not of bandwidth problems, but of the speed at which the processor transcodes it to (in my case) .aiff.

Geraint.

funkstar
2007-01-30, 15:15
i should probably just read post more carfully :)

geraint smith
2007-01-31, 01:48
i should probably just read post more carfully :)

Join the club! But anyway, I should also have written it more carefully. Quite apart from the fact that was evidently not as clear as it should have been, it's not an Airport Extreme I have next to the SB but an Airport Express. The Extreme is next to the eMac 10 metres away on a different storey. Brain reset time.

Geraint.