PDA

View Full Version : Server Question

wellerfan
2007-01-22, 11:08
Hi,

I'm a Squeezebox newbie with a question on network servers. I have a very large music collection ( approx. 3,500 cds) that has grown to be too unwieldy. I'm going to upgrade to a Transporter and want to get all of my music onto a network server in Apple lossless format and then bacically use my MacBook Pro as a remote control. My question is I'm looking for a network server that can accomplish this. The Infrant Repertoir looks great, has a 3 terabyte capacity, but is rather expensive at $5,000.00. Are there any alternatives I should be looking at? Thank you very much.

The rest of my system is Arcam C31 preamp, Arcam P1 monoblock amps, Arcam DV27A cd player, and Verity X Tamino speakers.

snarlydwarf
2007-01-22, 11:42
With that many CD's, I would recommend just buying a PC of some sort (whatever you like most: MacOS, Windows or a Unix flavor). Most NAS devices really dont have the RAM or CPU to be a good database server and it is pretty cheap to put together a PC based system.

A Terabyte is no longer a huge amount 4 250G drives should fit in most cases, and 250G drives arent that spendy. Use larger drives and it is even easier to exceed a TB, but the cost/G may be higher if you get too high a density drive. The real trick is backups of that data (use external USB drives for backup -- detach them and put them somewhere safe)

wellerfan
2007-01-22, 12:08
Thanks Snarlydwarf,

Please forgive my computer ignorance, but I have a couple of questions. I actually have a 3 year old Mac Powerbook I could use as a dedicated server but it's hard drive is only 80 gig, that would necessitate an external hardrive. The biggest ones I have seen hold one terabyte vs. 3 terabytes for the Infrant Repertoire. Also, the Infrant is a network drive, couldn't I store my music on that and my newer MacBook pro just as a kind of wireless remote control.

Thank you very much.

Eric Seaberg
2007-01-22, 12:15
I bought a refurbished Mac MINI (1.83GHz Intel Core Duo) from the Apple Store ($699) just to run as my Server. I added an external FW500GB drive, actually this http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ministack/ which works GREAT!! The two pieces sit in a closet with power connected and an Ethernet cable. I access the Music drive by mounting it via the network to my G5 and encode Apple Lossless to it.

When I want to re-encode for my iPod, I mount the Music drive and open iTunes with a plug-in called MultiTunes http://porkrind.org/multitunes/ which allows me to use multiple libraries, keeping my ALAC stuff on the Slim Music drive, while importing the tunes I want to re-encode into my iTunes (iPod) library. It works very well.

I'd be glad to help you set this up if you go this way. I've spent the last couple of months tweaking the setup... even comparing to FLAC (not too many options for the Mac), and really like how this is working.

snarlydwarf
2007-01-22, 12:26
Please forgive my computer ignorance, but I have a couple of questions. I actually have a 3 year old Mac Powerbook I could use as a dedicated server but it's hard drive is only 80 gig, that would necessitate an external hardrive. The biggest ones I have seen hold one terabyte vs. 3 terabytes for the Infrant Repertoire. Also, the Infrant is a network drive, couldn't I store my music on that and my newer MacBook pro just as a kind of wireless remote control.

I wouldnt want to use a laptop for a server, but I know a lot of people do. In my experience Laptops are just too prone to heat-issues. Too many electrons running around too-small a space makes me paranoid.

Sure, you could use a NAS device simply to store the music, but that is, as you pointed out, pretty spendy. A PC makes a cheaper NAS device, and has a lot more CPU horsepower than a genuine NAS... which means you should be fine running Slimserver on the PC.

If you toss four 750G drives into a PC cabinet, you have your 3TB. And with a beefier CPU and memory than a typical NAS box. Assuming a $400 PC-clone type box and Linux, that would be around $2k for three terabytes.

Slimserver itself will have to run somewhere... if you want to use your laptop as a remote, that's fine, but you still need a machine to run the server. Some NAS boxes can run Slimserver (Infrant is one of them), but I would still rather have a more common system that can be upgraded at will.

wellerfan
2007-01-23, 17:19
Thanks Snarlydwarf and Eric. I appreciate it