PDA

View Full Version : Announce: Official SlimServer v6.5.1 Release

andyg
2007-01-18, 10:52
I'm pleased to announce the availability of SlimServer 6.5.1.

http://www.slimdevices.com/download

New changes in 6.5.1 (detailed list (http://www.slimdevices.com/Changelog6.html)):

* Gapless MP3 playback for LAME-encoded files on SB2/3 and Transporter.

* Internet Radio buffering improvements.

* Many other bug fixes.

- Andy & The Slim Devices Team

mrfantasy
2007-01-18, 12:45
1) Does it work with transcoded MP3s transcoded with LAME?
2) Does it work in SoftSqueeze?

I'm not very concerned--the gap with MP3s anyway is barely noticeable (especially compared to my old Nomad Zen) but I'm just curious

andyg
2007-01-18, 12:54
1) Does it work with transcoded MP3s transcoded with LAME?

I'm not sure, but I don't think so. The LAME tag is written after fully encoding a file, and on-the-fly transcoding would not be able to provide the proper end padding information.

2) Does it work in SoftSqueeze?

I'm pretty sure the answer to this is also no, but it could be added at some point.

tommyz
2007-01-19, 01:06
Hi,

is there anything to watch for if I upgrade and are using a standalone MySQL installation ?

ciao, TommyZ

mherger
2007-01-19, 02:31
> is there anything to watch for if I upgrade and are using a standalone
> MySQL installation ?

If you are using 6.5.0 you should be fine installing right over the
existing installation. This should keep the configuration file. If not,
you'll have a backup, won't you? ;-)

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

bobharp
2007-01-19, 08:23
Has the Debian release been updated?

andyg
2007-01-19, 08:27
Has the Debian release been updated?

You mean the repository? I think I forgot to do that, I'll see about getting it updated today.

andyg
2007-01-19, 08:41
Repos should be updated.

bobharp
2007-01-19, 08:58
Thanks. Updating now.

smst
2007-01-19, 09:26
I didn't get a message about this through the announcements list, so I'd like to take this opportunity to again ask for it to be revived. The main discussion list is high volume; too high for me. I stay subscribed to keep abreast of announcements.

I asked about this before (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=22737), and some interest was expressed in an announcements-only list. It was pointed out that one already exists but is seldom used; this announcement seems to support that.

In bug#3259 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3259) I suggested that the announcements list be revived. I proposed that an announcement made elsewhere should, if some checkbox was ticked on submission, be copied to the announcements list along with a link to the _original_ message. Thus, a copy of the 6.5.1 release announcement would be emailed to all who were interested, and would refer to this very thread for follow-up discussion (keeping the announcements list free of follow-ups).

This seems like a good time to raise the suggestion again.

Thanks,
Steve

phinbob
2007-01-20, 09:44

New changes in 6.5.1 (detailed list (http://www.slimdevices.com/Changelog6.html)):

* Many other bug fixes.

I'm getting a "Setup files are corrupted" error message when I try to install the new version

andyg
2007-01-20, 09:47
I'm getting a "Setup files are corrupted" error message when I try to install the new version

Which version/OS? They've all been tested to install properly, so that's strange.

phinbob
2007-01-20, 10:05
Which version/OS? They've all been tested to install properly, so that's strange.

Using the 6.5.1 link from here. I have downloaded several times and get the same result. I am using Windows XP Pro.

slimditty
2007-01-20, 12:09
I just installed the Mac OS version. No problems with the installer but the Slimserver is no longer visible. The System prefs area shows that the Slimserver has started but there is no way to access it, since http://localhost:9000 comes back with nothing. I started and stopped the server a couple of times, even tried rebooting but - nada - there just isn't any way to communicate with the slimserver anymore. This is true for the squeezeboxes that I have, too.

danco
2007-01-20, 15:38
I just installed the Mac OS version. No problems with the installer but the Slimserver is no longer visible. The System prefs area shows that the Slimserver has started but there is no way to access it, since http://localhost:9000 comes back with nothing. I started and stopped the server a couple of times, even tried rebooting but - nada - there just isn't any way to communicate with the slimserver anymore. This is true for the squeezeboxes that I have, too.

It's working fine on my Mac, OS 10.4.8. No help to you, but it does provide data to compare with. for instance, what version of OS X are you using?

Wired or wireless?

I've known Safari refuse to recognise localhost. Seems absurd, but it happens. It's worth trying 127.0.0.1:9000 to see if that works.

6.5.1 does require a firmware update. If you forget that for long enough, I think the SB gives up completely, and you have to press and HOLD the Power button again to get anywhere.

daverush
2007-01-20, 17:31
Just loaded 6.5.1 (Windows) and get error message that slimserver failed to start. Restored 6.5.0 and seems to be working - still scanning library.

Also localhost\9000 fails on DNS

shabbs
2007-01-20, 17:34
Just loaded 6.5.1 (Windows) and get error message that slimserver failed to start.
I got a similar error when I installed 6.5.1 (fresh) on Windows XP Pro. I checked my Windows services and SlimServer was showing as in the process of stopping. So, I waited until it stopped, then started it. No problem.

Cheers.

snarlydwarf
2007-01-20, 18:04
Also localhost\9000 fails on DNS

Should be a : not a \.... if localhost doesnt resolve, something is odd with your system. Localhost should always resolve to 127.0.0.1.

stoobie-doo
2007-01-20, 22:20

I have had somewhat similar behavior under Win Pro SP2. What I have found is that if I manually start SlimServer; I get the error in my browser, which clears up in about 2 minutes.
Could 6.5.1 be taking longer to do something it needs to do to be accessible from the browser?

ceejay
2007-01-21, 00:18
I have had somewhat similar behavior under Win Pro SP2. What I have found is that if I manually start SlimServer; I get the error in my browser, which clears up in about 2 minutes.
Could 6.5.1 be taking longer to do something it needs to do to be accessible from the browser?

This has been happening for quite a while - if you start slimserver from the tray, the browser window always eopns up and starts looing for slimserver before slimserver is ready to talk, and (on my Pc at least - Firefox, Win XP Pro SP2) the browser always times out. You just have to give it a minute and then refresh the browser and all is fine.

Ceejay

jelevin
2007-01-21, 08:49
I would like to second the request for an announcement only thread that doesn't include extra comments.

mphearn
2007-01-25, 12:14

* Many other bug fixes.

Sorry Andy, I can't make it work at all! I tried installing over 6.5.0 and got the error message "web page can't be found". I tried uninstalling 6.5.0 and then a clean install of 6.5.1. Same result!

I then uninstalled 6.5.1 and re-installed 6.5.0 and everything reverted to normal operation.

I have been using slimserver for about two years through all the updates but this is the first one which will not work for me.

Malcolm Hearn

WinXP, all MP3 library.

andyg
2007-01-25, 12:16
You probably just didn't let it run long enough for the web server to start. The first time you run 6.5.1 there is some cache cleanup that is done, so it may take a bit longer to startup. Check Task Manager to see if slim.exe is running.

mphearn
2007-01-25, 12:50
You probably just didn't let it run long enough for the web server to start. The first time you run 6.5.1 there is some cache cleanup that is done, so it may take a bit longer to startup. Check Task Manager to see if slim.exe is running.

I waited for several minutes before giving up. How long do you think it might take?

I have a Pentium 4 and 1Gb of memory.

Malcolm

andyg
2007-01-25, 13:04
Do you see slim.exe running? One way to rule the cache out as being the source of the problem is to simply delete the FileCache directory which you should find at C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Cache\FileCache

mphearn
2007-01-25, 13:44
Do you see slim.exe running? One way to rule the cache out as being the source of the problem is to simply delete the FileCache directory which you should find at C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Cache\FileCache

I didn't check to see if slim.exe was running (I'm back on 6.5.0 now!) but when I did a clean install of 6.5.1 I deleted the entire C:\Program Files\Slimserver directory with all its contents so presumably the cache is not the problem.

The slimserver icon was in the system tray. When I clicked it and selected 'open slimserver' the IE window opened with the message 'connecting' - but it never ever actually connected.

Ron F.
2007-01-25, 16:16
I had the same problem - I could not install 6.5.1 over 6.5.0 and have a functioning Slimserver afterwards. This problem occured on two of my machines - one XP, the other running Win 2K.

What I did finally, is I completely uninstalled Slimserver on both machines, including deleting the directory from Program Files. I then installed 6.5.1. I made sure there were no firewall issues. On both machines that appeared to solve the problem.

I am apologize to those who are indicating the wish for announcements only here.

-Ron

Heuer
2007-02-03, 04:59
Although the latest version seems to have cleared up the performance issues with Random Mix it seems to have introduced a bug. I asked SS to prepare a Random Song mix looking 200 ahead and 5 behind and this is what I get:

A-Ha - I've Been Losing You from The Singles: 1984-2004
A-Ha - Velvet from The Singles: 1984-2004
ABC - The Look of Love from Into The Eighties
ABC - Tears Are Not Enough from The Lexicon Of Love
Abba - I Have A Dream from Gold - Greatest Hits
Abba - The Winner Takes It All from Gold - Greatest Hits
Aerosmith - Back In The Saddle from Greatest Hits
A3 - U Don't Dans 2 Tekno Anymore from Exile On Coldharbour Lane
Albert Collins - Honey hush from Natural Blues - Disk 1 of 2
Ana Popovich - Belly Button Window from Blue Haze - Songs Of Jimi Hendrix
Annie Lennox - Little Bird from Diva
B.B. King - You Shook Me (duet with John Lee Hooker) from Blues Summit
Barry White - I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More, Baby from All-time Greatest Hits
Baz Luhrmann - a Mulcahy / Sparkling Diamond Caroline O'Connor, Natalie Mendoza & Lar from Moulin Rouge
Billie Holiday - One, Two, Button Your Shoe from All Of Me(FLAC)(oan)
Billie Holiday - Body And Soul from Body & Soul
Billie Holiday - Guilty from Classic Tracks
Blind Lemon Jefferson - Blind Lemon's Penitentiary Blues from Blind Lemon Jefferson
Blondie - Hanging On The Telephone from Atomic
Blues Brothers - Flip, Flop & Fly from Best Of The Blues Brothers
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullit Band - Ship of Fools from Night Moves
Bobby Womack - Doing It My Way from Lookin' For A Love (The Best Of Bobby Womack)
Bonnie Rait - All At Once from Luck Of The Draw
Brian Wilson - Let's Go Away For Awhile from Pet Sounds Live
Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You from The Best Of Me
Buddy Guy - Watch Yourself from I Was Walking Through The Woods
Buddy Holly - Words Of Love from Buddy Holly
Buddy Holly - It's Not My Fault from For The First Time Anywhere
Bunny Paul - Such A Night from It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
Carole King - Corazón from Natural Woman: The Very Best of Carole King
Charlie Watts - Charlie Watts / I#ve Got A Crush On You from Long Ago And Far Away
Cher - Save Up All Your Tears from Cher's Greatest Hits: 1965-1992
Chicago - Look Away from The Chicago Story
Chicago - Street Player from The Chicago Story
Chris Rea - Bless Them All from On The Beach
Chris Rea - On The Beach from The Best of Chris Rea - New Light Through Old Windows
Chris Rea - Stainsby Girls from Best of
Christine Ohlman - All Down the Line from Exile On Blues Street
Chuck Berry - Almost Grown from American Graffiti
Chuck Berry - Down The Road A Piece from Natural Blues Album, The : Disk 2 of 2
Cliff Richard - Dynamite from The Singles Collection
Bessie Jackson - Barbecue Bess from Copulatin' Blues
David Bowie - Hallo Spaceboy (Pet Shop Boys Remix) from Best Of Bowie
David Bowie - Sound And Vision from Best Of Bowie
David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World from Best Of Bowie
David Gilmour - The Blue: from On An Island
Del Shannon - Hey Little Girl from Greatest Hits
Diana Ross and the Supremes - Baby Love from Simply The Best Classic Soul
Dion - You Showed Me What Love Is from Born To Be With You / Streetheart
Dion - You're The One from Bronx In Blue
1 2 3 4 5

Setting to look 20 ahead disguises the problem but you can still descern an alphabetic trail.

My folders are arranged A/Artist/Album, B/Artist/Album etc

Fifer
2007-02-03, 05:18
That's very interesting. I've only used random mix a couple of times since updating, but I do recall noticing a few artists featuring twice in a row, now that you mention it.

Heuer
2007-02-03, 05:45
And this is what the list looks like when I reverted to the version of 6.5.1 released by Infrant on 13 December as part of their v3.01c1-p6 [1.00a034] firmware upgrade. The bug seems to have crept in between then and the 6.5.1 final.

Paul Lamb & The King Snakes - Good Rockin' Tonight from Paul Lamb & The King Snakes
Pat Benatar - Shadows Of The Night from The Very Best Pat Benatar Album Ever
Queen - Hammer To Fall from Greatest Hits 2
Van Morrison - Have I Told You Lately from Best of
Dire Straits - Expresso Love from Making Movies
Barry White - Honey Please, Can't Ya See from All-time Greatest Hits
Teddy Pendergrass - Somebody Told Me from Teddy Pendergrass [Right Stuff]
Johnny Cash - One Way Rider from Duets
The Carlisles - Too Old To Cut The Mustard from Hillbilly Bopping
Yazoo - Happy People from You and Me Both
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb from Echoes - The Best Of Pink Floyd
John Lennon - One Day (At A Time) from Mind Games (MFSL UDCD761)
Kate Bush - Cloudbusting from The Whole Story
Bob Dylan - Dignity (Original Version) from The Ultimate Collection
Deep Purple - Place In Lline from Golden Ballads 1968 - 1993
Toto - Rosanna from Past To Present 1977-1990
Don Henley - All She Wants To Do Is Dance from Building The Perfect Beast
BB King - BB King with Heavy D / Keep It Coming from Deuces Wild
The Cranberries - Dreams from Stars - The Best Of 1992-2002
Shakira - Don't Bother from Oral Fixation Vol.2 [2006 Special Edition] [Bonus Tracks]
The Dells - Oh, What a Night from On Their Corner: The Best of the Dells
Frank Sinatra - The Lonesome Road from The Capitol Years
Cosmic Rough Riders - Baby, You're So Free from Enjoy The Melodic Sunshine
Rickie Lee Jones - Danny's All-Star Joint from Debut
Sonny & Cher - I Got You Babe from The Best 60's Album In The
Nat King Cole - Memphis Blues from Sings The Blues
Lou Rawls - A Lover's Question from The Very Best
Little Anthony & The Imperials - It's Not For Me from The Best Of Little Anthony & The Imperials
Elvis Presley - Hard Headed Woman from Blue Suede Shoes
Elvis Presley - My Baby Left Me from Elvis 56
Taj Mahal & The Hula Blues Band - All Along The Watchtower from Blue Haze - Songs Of Jimi Hendrix
The Treniers - Rock A Beatin' Boogie from It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
Blind Lemon Jefferson - Shuckin' Sugar Blues from Blind Lemon Jefferson
Lynyrd Skynyrd - What's Your Name from The Best of Lynyrd Skynyrd
Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Groovejet (If This Ain't Love) Live Version from Read My Lips [Special Edition]
The Crystals - Uptown from Phil Spector: Back to Mono (Disc 1)
Diana Ross - You Can't Hurry Love ( With The Supremes ) from Motown's Greatest Hits
Swallows - Roll Roll Pretty Baby from Jumping and Doowopping
Mercury Rev - Goddess On A Hiway from Deserter's Songs
The Dandy Warhols - Sleep from Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia
Cat Power - The Greatest from The Greatest
Manic Street Preachers - Tsunami from This Is MyTruth Tell Me Yours
Paul Rodgers - Born Under A Bad Sign , Neal Schon from Muddy Water Blues
John Lennon - Aisumasen (I'm Sorry) [Home Version] from Mind Games (MFSL UDCD761)
Jimmy Dolan - Hot Rod Mama from Hillbilly Bopping
Gary Moore - With Love (Remember) from Ballads & Blues 1982 - 1994

1 2 3 4 5

mudlark
2007-02-03, 06:15
I had this problem somehow...

I used the debugging thing and it mentioned a mysql problem.

I thought i would reinstall mysql using adept with 6.10 kubuntu and did so to move up to 5.0.
I then purged slimserver reinstalled and the web access returned.

whether doing this helped I don't know, but I thought posting might help others.

if this comment should be moved please let me know.
M.

Countryman
2007-02-09, 13:22

Another unhappy SlimServer customer here… I have been using 6.5.0 happily for some time and just ‘upgraded’ to 6.5.1. When I try to start SlimServer it won’t start. The icon just sits in the bottom tray flashing and stating; “SlimServer Starting”. Have deleted the File Cache and allowed it to run for 30mins without success. According to Task Manager, slim.exe is not running. Given the number of complaints, we can firmly put this down to a faulty software release...

Brian

Windows 2000 sp4
Tyan Tiger - 2 off AMD Athlon MP 1.2GHz
1GB RAM

RobertH
2007-02-09, 21:16
I have confirmed with Slim Devices support that some people who have upgraded to 6.5.1 are unable to play certain file types: in my case, WMA Lossless. MP3 files and internet radio work fine for me. WMA Lossless worked fine for me with 6.5.0.

The syndrome (for me) is that the SB3 correctly identifies the song that should be playing and displays a progress bar showing the length remaining (which is the length of the song), but there is no progress and no music. I mailed Logitech a track which played fine on their system, so this is not a DRM issue. For what it's worth, I'm on Windows XP and ripped my music using EAC and the Microsoft WMA9 encoder.

They're working on it.

Meanwhile I uninstalled 6.5.1, deleted the SlimServer folder under Program Files (for a clean install) and reinstalled 6.5.0. I'm back in business.

mja
2007-02-13, 17:10
Andy,

Where are your upgraded 6.5.1 releases? Are they in the normal spot and the release notes have not been updated to reflect the new firmware level? Are these changes being rolled into 6.5.2?

Thanks in advance,

-mja

andyg
2007-02-13, 17:29
6.5.2 builds are here: http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/6.5/

Thusholt
2007-02-15, 04:09
After installing v6.5.1 on a WIN XP Home system and upgrading the firmware in the Slim Device all my M4A music does not play. It looks to me like the M4A music "has a length of zero bytes", as all MP3 music in a mixed playlist will play OK.

Any solution to this problem ?

Best regards
Leif

Anne
2007-02-16, 14:59
Any link to what 6.5.2 is doing differently and how to upgrade SlimServer with that ?

mherger
2007-02-16, 15:04
> Any link to what 6.5.2 is doing differently and how to upgrade
> SlimServer with that ?

http://svn.slimdevices.com/*checkout*/branches/6.5/server/Changelog6.html

--

Michael

Anne
2007-02-16, 15:18
Thank you. When I look at the Gallery Mode in SlimServer, only half of the album artwork is shown, why is this ?
Some ITunes have found itself, others are downloaded from albumart.
They all show in ITunes....

andyg
2007-02-16, 15:23
Artwork downloaded by iTunes 7 is not supported.

Anne
2007-02-16, 16:08
Dare I ask why not ?
This is disappointing. Any idea how I get quality shots, like the ones from albumart.org in there automatically ?

snarlydwarf
2007-02-16, 16:15
Dare I ask why not ?
This is disappointing. Any idea how I get quality shots, like the ones from albumart.org in there automatically ?

Because iTunes changed where they hide the album art and I'm not sure if anyone has fully figured out where it moved to.

If you store your albums in a "folder per album" (ie, something like: E:\Music\Artist\GreatestHits would be "Greatest Hits" by Artist, then just save the cover are in that folder as "cover.jpg" and you are done.

You -can- embed them in the tags of the file itself, but I find it harder to mess with them then, and trickier to notice subtle things like one track having "wrong" art.

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-17, 10:24
Any idea how I get quality shots, like the ones from albumart.org in there automatically ?

Try Album Art Aggregator (http://team.thenexusnet.com/nexus/AAA/).

It's not automatic, but darn close. And recent releases that appear as 500 X 500 images look very good.

Anne
2007-02-17, 15:40
I will try later, page not available...

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-17, 15:45
It's a very small file. Hopefully the author won't mind me posting it here.

I will take it down if requested.

Note: you need .NET 1.1 to run this. You can get .NET at Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3

tommypeters
2007-02-17, 15:57
The page, which isn't down, states .NET 1.1 as the minimum version.

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-17, 16:27
The page, which isn't down, states .NET 1.1 as the minimum version.

Sorry, I just guessed. I can't reach the site either so I went from memory.

kjg
2007-02-17, 19:09
As an alternative, I've been using Album Art Cover Downloader which
seems (to me) to be a little more convenient than Album Art Aggregator.

http://louhi.kempele.fi/~skyostil/projects/albumart/

- Ken

Mark Lanctot wrote:
> Try 'Album Art Aggregator' (http://team.thenexusnet.com/nexus/AAA/).
>
> It's not automatic, but darn close. And recent releases that appear as
> 500 X 500 images look very good.
>

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-17, 19:34
As an alternative, I've been using Album Art Cover Downloader which
seems (to me) to be a little more convenient than Album Art Aggregator.

http://louhi.kempele.fi/~skyostil/projects/albumart/

I like the fact that it supports more than Amazon.

I'll give it a whirl I think.

livelock
2007-02-18, 08:11
As written in I managed to install slimserver on my Linkstation pro http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=181459.

@Slim-TEAM: Please!!! provide a Debian "ARM" target that we can install slimserver via apt-get, currently this only works with amd and intel... :-(

Anyway, thanks for the great job. Slimserver and the squeezbox 3 is an amazing piece of sotware and hardware. Thanks!

kjg
2007-02-18, 16:00
Mark Lanctot wrote:
> Ken;181373 Wrote:
>> As an alternative, I've been using Album Art Cover Downloader which
>> seems (to me) to be a little more convenient than Album Art
>> Aggregator.
>>
>> http://louhi.kempele.fi/~skyostil/projects/albumart/
>
> I like the fact that it supports more than Amazon.
>
> I'll give it a whirl I think.
>

See what you think about it's interface. One of the features it supports is downloading and setting cover art for multiple albums at once, but I find it makes too many mistakes to be completely useful. I generally just load the album artist/title into fields on the right and click Download Covers to get the artwork one CD at a time. This turns out to be reasonably convenient and I can run through dozens of albums in just a few minutes. It affords the opportunity to select the best looking image from the ones it can find.

Anyway, kudos to Sami Kyöstilä who built this very nice tool!

- Ken

arge
2007-02-19, 16:33
BUG: 6.5.1 Does not work on Vista Ultimate 32 bits

This customer feedback: Fixing this BUG should be SD main priority. After > 2 weeks of no music I am getting, let's say, impatient.
When will be the fix available?

sdonham
2007-02-19, 21:31
BUG: 6.5.1 Does not work on Vista Ultimate 32 bits

This customer feedback: Fixing this BUG should be SD main priority. After > 2 weeks of no music I am getting, let's say, impatient.
When will be the fix available?

I am in no way affiliated with SD....just a slimdevices owner...

While I'm sure getting the software to work with Vista is a top priority for SD, as a longtime software developer on the windows platform myeself, I'm willing to bet good money that the problem is with Vista, not slimserver.
As most people will tell you, it's often a good idea to wait a few months before upgrading to the latest operation system. This gives time to third-party software and hardware vendors to learn the new OS and make the necessary changes. It also gives time to MS to work out any unforseen bugs in their OS.
If you insist of having the latest and greatest OS, you must understand that not everything will not work out of the box.

rkeeney
2007-02-24, 15:30

I've tried to upgrade 6.5 to 6.5.1, both times on my SB1 the tracks would jump quickly from one to the next w/o playing. I don't see this behavior on the Softsqueeze client running on the same machine as SS. Reverting back to 6.5 fixed the problem both times.

Sorry if this is mentioned elsewhere but I couldn't locate anything about it here or in bugzilla.

Other info:
SS running on WinXP
FLAC libray (mostly)
SB on wireless

Regards,
Rob......

ModelCitizen
2007-02-25, 02:01
I've tried to upgrade 6.5 to 6.5.1, both times on my SB1 the tracks would jump quickly from one to the next w/o playing. I don't see this behavior on the Softsqueeze client running on the same machine as SS. Reverting back to 6.5 fixed the problem both times.

Strange as 6.5.1 is not that different from 6.5. Anyhow, it looks like SlimServer 6.5.1 can't find your files. If your music is on a network drive check that the account SlimServer is running on after installing 6.5.1 still has access to the network drives (it may be that the installation of 6.5.1 has changed the account Slimserver runs under to a local account... although this shouldn't happen anymore I believe).
Also, you could try browsing your Music Folder via Slimserver to see if you can access/play tunes from it. If you can maybe you should stop Slimserver, delete your cache folder and then start it again so it completely re-indexes your music from scratch.
MC

rkeeney
2007-02-25, 11:22
Strange as 6.5.1 is not that different from 6.5. Anyhow, it looks like SlimServer 6.5.1 can't find your files. If your music is on a network drive check that the account SlimServer is running on after installing 6.5.1 still has access to the network drives (it may be that the installation of 6.5.1 has changed the account Slimserver runs under to a local account... although this shouldn't happen anymore I believe).
Also, you could try browsing your Music Folder via Slimserver to see if you can access/play tunes from it. If you can maybe you should stop Slimserver, delete your cache folder and then start it again so it completely re-indexes your music from scratch.
MC

The files are on a NW drive. I'll try again using your suggestions. Thanks!

rkeeney
2007-02-25, 18:09
The files are on a NW drive. I'll try again using your suggestions. Thanks!

Still no go. I re-insatlled again amd rescanned the DB, no problem. From your suggestion I can't tell which cache file(s) to delete. There's a whole directory w/ sub-directory structure and I can't tell which I'm supposed to delete and which I'm not. The rapidly jumping tracks and no playback is evident again.

Too much hassle, I'll just revert to 6.5.0 and tray again after the next upgrade.

Regards,
Rob............

deadkenny
2007-03-17, 16:54
Also got big problems with 6.5.1 here. Tried upgrading and I got lots of errors about singletons (mmm, nice internal debug message leaking out there me thinks ;) ). It installed and I thought it was working as the Squeezebox did a firmware update but I couldn't connect to the web server and then discovered Slimserver was falling over every minute or so.

Tried uninstalling and then reinstalling but same problem.

6.5.1 is certainly no go for me. I'll just have to try reinstalling 6.5.0.

Edit: Yeah, 6.5.0 works fine.

P.S. This is on Windows XP Pro SP2, using Kerio firewall.

DMR NYC
2007-03-23, 03:31
I thought that when the official release for 6.5.1 came out, that the request to update firmware every time I would switch from SS network to SS home would cease. This was a problem w using Rhapsody, and I thought it was attributable to the need of the SB to downgrade firmware bc of the 6.5.1 beta. When I switch to SS home, the settings show build 75. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

David (using SB3)

Ben Sandee
2007-03-23, 06:40
On 3/23/07, DMR NYC <DMR.NYC.2nw94b1174646101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> I thought that when the official release for 6.5.1 came out, that the
> request to update firmware every time I would switch from SS network to
> SS home would cease. This was a problem w using Rhapsody, and I thought
> it was attributable to the need of the SB to downgrade firmware bc of
> the 6.5.1 beta. When I switch to SS home, the settings show build 75.
> Any thoughts?

There have been fixes made to the firmware (available in 6.5.2 nightly
builds) that were deemed critical enough for SN/Rhapsody to release early to
SN. This has been discussed awhile back. If you'd prefer not to install
6.5.2 you can try this alternative to avoid the downgrade when you switch
back to your local server:

Find your local squeezebox2.version file and change it to look like this:

# Squeezebox2 firmware

# from to
# from1..from2 to

1..76 76

# future versions may be downgraded to this one

Ben

DMR NYC
2007-03-23, 20:55
Thanks for the clarification. I must have gotten 6.5.1 and 6.5.2 betas confused. I should spend more time reading the forums and less time listening to my Squeezebox. *grin*

On 3/23/07, DMR NYC <DMR.NYC.2nw94b1174646101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> I thought that when the official release for 6.5.1 came out, that the
> request to update firmware every time I would switch from SS network to
> SS home would cease. This was a problem w using Rhapsody, and I thought
> it was attributable to the need of the SB to downgrade firmware bc of
> the 6.5.1 beta. When I switch to SS home, the settings show build 75.
> Any thoughts?

There have been fixes made to the firmware (available in 6.5.2 nightly
builds) that were deemed critical enough for SN/Rhapsody to release early to
SN. This has been discussed awhile back. If you'd prefer not to install
6.5.2 you can try this alternative to avoid the downgrade when you switch
back to your local server:

Find your local squeezebox2.version file and change it to look like this:

# Squeezebox2 firmware

# from to
# from1..from2 to

1..76 76

# future versions may be downgraded to this one

Ben

Anne
2007-03-30, 10:08
Just downloaded 6.5.2, and firmware 80. Wonder what SS is doing, before my computer would go into sleep mode after 15 minutes, and a touch of the SB3 remote would wake it up.
Now SS seem to be busy all the time, every 5 seconds or so there is a little cpu action, this prevents the computer to go into sleep mode...., whats it doing ?

gusi
2007-03-31, 09:41
I Just upgraded to 651. But I still got the annoying bug where I need to push the on button many times before the SB3 starts up.

Is this fixed in firmware? How do we know what firmware is required for 651? I am still at rev28.

mherger
2007-03-31, 09:49
> I Just upgraded to 651. But I still got the annoying bug where I need to
> push the on button many times before the SB3 starts up.

What button do you have to push? Does this happen every time you want to
start it up?

I guess your server is gone sleeping and is taking a moment to wake up.

--

Michael

gusi
2007-03-31, 16:30
It is the on button on the remote.

How fast the server go to sleep? Can it be configured?

Anne
2007-04-01, 06:25
In your power management on your computer you can decide how long it shall remain awake, and if its not allowed at all to go to sleep.
Hitting any key on the SB3 remote will prompt SlimServer to wake up the computer, but it can take the computer maybe 15 seconds to get out of sleepmodus, so hit any key, it will then say "waking up SlimServer" in the display, wait 10-15 seconds, and then hit a key again and the computer should be fully awake and SlimServer ready to serve you....
Its not SlimServers fault, its the nature of your computer thats to blame, some computers do not wake up instantaneus...

gusi
2007-04-02, 09:13
Well I went into power management and changed the setting to never sleep. Started slimserver and waited till I could connect to it with the browser, hit the on button and .. nothing. After pressing the on button for 90 sec or so the SB connected.

Is there away in windows to control individual processes and stop them going to sleep?

I recall that UNIX processes that idled too long could get swapped out to save memory but that was in the 80s.

deserttaxguy
2007-04-28, 11:35
Windows Xp, 1.5gb, Trendmicropcillin and wireless was all set up perfectly. Then I noticed the upgrade wording on my slim server page. Not meaning to write a book here, but I checked the forum and saw the problems going back to February before I updated last week.
All that was fine, except now my slimserver is on in systray, but not functioning.
I turned off my virus and ruled that out. Ive reloaded the 6.5.1 and upgraded Firmware.. Now what ? I've read every post here.
Thank you. My access to Slimnetwork is working fine. (Gratefully.)

bpa
2007-04-28, 12:20
Try 6.5.2 - a systray bug similar to what you described was fixed in 6.5.2

deserttaxguy
2007-04-28, 17:46
I cant even hook up to the Squeeze box with a wire.
It gets an IP address and seems to go to a complete installation for the SB, but then when it should operate and let you browse or whatever is next, it goes dark.
I hate to have to call for support, but I guess thats next.
I hope this isn't all about making sure the Logitech logo starts appearing everywhere.
One last clue: I can play off slimserve with softsqueeze which I use when I play the server directly without using Squeezebox. So to summarize,
I think the server is fine.
I cant even play the SB with a wire, but it gains an IP address and seems to network fine.
The squeezebox finds Squeezenetwork.
Firewall and virus protection are off and anyway I set them to recognize the assigned IP for the Squeezebox.

AmigaOne
2007-05-03, 13:57
Starting the SlimServer from the preference pane, after ten or twenty seconds, the server quits and the button goes from STOP to START again. This is what the slimserver.log says:

2007-05-03 22:48:24.9790 SlimServer OSDetect init...
2007-05-03 22:48:24.9793 SlimServer OS Specific init...
2007-05-03 22:48:24.9798 SlimServer daemonizing...
2007-05-03 22:48:24.9942 SlimServer settings effective user and group if requested...
2007-05-03 22:48:24.9960 SlimServer settings init...
2007-05-03 22:48:25.0528 SlimServer strings init...
2007-05-03 22:48:25.1559 SlimServer saving pid file.
2007-05-03 22:48:25.1586 Got to the END.
2007-05-03 22:48:25.8476 SlimServer Setup init...
2007-05-03 22:48:25.8850 SlimServer setting language...
2007-05-03 22:48:25.8855 SlimServer MySQL init...
2007-05-03 22:48:26.0950 Firmware init...
2007-05-03 22:48:26.0989 SlimServer Info init...
Database error: Duplicate column name 'contributor' at /Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/CPAN/DBIx/Migration.pm line 115.
2007-05-03 22:48:26.3205 Got to the END.

Running the latest version of OSX Panther.

danco
2007-05-04, 00:24
> I Just upgraded to 651. But I still got the annoying bug where I need to
> push the on button many times before the SB3 starts up.

What button do you have to push? Does this happen every time you want to
start it up?

I guess your server is gone sleeping and is taking a moment to wake up.

Michael, I have this kind of problem frequently. It's NOT the server being asleep. I get it at times when the computer has been asleep for a long time and has been woken up, everything fine on the computer. It is probably due in some way to the wireless connection not waking when the computer wakes, as I get the "connecting to network" message when I press and hold the power button.

Long-standing issue, I think it came in around the change from 6.2 to 6.3, but not diagnosed enough to fix, though a fair number of us have the issue.

Charles
2007-05-05, 17:22
I just installed (twice) the new version over my old version which was working fine. Now however, SLIM.exe will not connect to the server. It just sits there with a white screen.
Any suggestions?

Anne
2007-05-10, 03:36
Just remind me, using the nightly builts, do you just run it again ? Do you have to stop SlimServer first ?