PDA

View Full Version : Slim Server on 2 computers

Recoveryone
2007-01-05, 11:44
NOt sure if this has been cover yet, but I have the Slim Server on 2 different computer in my house. 1 the main system upstairs and 2nd downstairs (kids system), the question I have is that the 1st system run 6.5.1 and the 2nd runs 6.5.0 and when I do switch over the SB has to re-configure itself and re-load firmware. I'm concern about the firmware re-load. Will this cause any problems.

JJZolx
2007-01-05, 12:02
NOt sure if this has been cover yet, but I have the Slim Server on 2 different computer in my house. 1 the main system upstairs and 2nd downstairs (kids system), the question I have is that the 1st system run 6.5.1 and the 2nd runs 6.5.0 and when I do switch over the SB has to re-configure itself and re-load firmware. I'm concern about the firmware re-load. Will this cause any problems.

Probably not, but it's obviously a huge pain. I'd run exactly the same version of the server on both computers to avoid this.

Recoveryone
2007-01-05, 12:59
Probably not, but it's obviously a huge pain. I'd run exactly the same version of the server on both computers to avoid this.
I have thought of doing just that, but I had to D/L the 6.5.1 just to get the main system to work with SS. The kids computer is an older P3 with 1gig of ram running win 2kNT and the SS runs like butter on it. So I'm kinda nervous about putting the 6.5.1 on it (if it ain't broke don't fix it)lol. I just concern if one of the firmwares can become corrupted from the switching. I don't do it often but you never know. If both system were running the same OS I would feel better about upgrading the kids system. The long term goal is to re-claim my office downstairs (now my sons room) and either use their system as a server for the whole house and put it in the garage or hopefully come across someone dumping an old system to do the same with. But it will be about 5-6 years before this one is out of the house.

mherger
2007-01-05, 13:16
> I have thought of doing just that, but I had to D/L the 6.5.1 just to
> get the main system to work with SS.

You don't need to install slimserver just to get softsqueeze. It can be
installed from the server's web interface. Open
http://yourserver:9000/html/softsqueeze/index.html on the second computer.
Then you can install it from there.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

JJZolx
2007-01-05, 13:45
I have thought of doing just that, but I had to D/L the 6.5.1 just to get the main system to work with SS. The kids computer is an older P3 with 1gig of ram running win 2kNT and the SS runs like butter on it. So I'm kinda nervous about putting the 6.5.1 on it (if it ain't broke don't fix it)lol.

6.5.0 has many bugs and is nearly four months old. Many of the bugs have been fixed in 6.5.1, plus there have been a lot of performance enhancements that should make 6.5.1 run better on slower systems.

Recoveryone
2007-01-05, 15:38
thanks Jim, I may give it a try (crossing my fingers)