PDA

View Full Version : SliMP3 Menu Navigation Trouble in 6.5b1

malsbury
2006-08-17, 05:48
In preparation of the release of 6.5 I wanted to make sure that the PublicRadioFan.com plugin and the improvements I am making to it still function in the new branch. So last night I installed the 8-16 nightly (SlimServer Version: 6.5b1 - 8984 - Linux - EN - utf8) and was glad to see everything in regards to the plugin’s function was fine. This was my first update of 6.5 since before the split-scanner branch was move back into the trunk back in May.

However, I have noticed a problem with the player menu system when viewed with a SliMP3 using a double height font. The best way I can describe it is that if I go into any menu that is a list it will not allow vertical navigation of the list after a few movements. However, if I press down say three times once the list has frozen then back out one step and then back in the list have moved down those three positions. This might be best illustrated with an example:
Browse --> Albums --> 1 (shows 1, press down, should move to 2)
2 (shows 2, press down, should move to 3)
3 (shows 3, press down, should move to 4)
3 (shows 3, press down, should now move to 5)
3 (shows 3, press down, should now move to 6)
3 (shows 3, should be showing 6)If I now move “left” to “Albums” then move “right” back into the list it has moved down the list to “6” as reflected by the number of times I had pressed “down” while in the list.

I see similar behavior in all third tier lists in the “Browse” menu. I can move up and down in the Albums/Artist/Genres/Music Folder/Years level of the menu, but once I move into the third tier of any of those choices I see a menu lock after a few button presses. I may lock after the first press or it may take 10, but it always happens. I see the same behavior in when using the Shoutcast plugin or my PublicRadioFan plugin once I get to the final level of the menu tree.

This only happens when the SliMP3 is using a double height font (Classic or Modern). All navigation works as expect if I am using a two line display. I also tested it using SoftSqueeze and navigation works normally in both two line and single line double height display, so it seems particular to the SliMP3. Additionally, it is not a problem with a particular unit, I have 6 SliMP3s and I see the same behavior on all six.

Also, once the display is locked it will stay that way unless I navigate to the “left”. The Now Playing screensaver will not kick in, the CallerID plugin will not take control of the display, it just scrolls through whatever text it locked on (“3” from the example above). But the player is still responsive, a press the “left” will bring you out one menu level without a pause and then Slimserver has control of the display as normal.

If others can confirm this, and it is not a simple fix I will file a bug for this so it can get addressed before the release of 6.5 next month.

--Tom Malsbury

Triode
2006-08-17, 06:17
Hum... Could you try svn 9002 or tomorrow's nightly?

I think the problem is actually caused by entries which scroll - the server was not cancelling the scrolling correctly.

malsbury
2006-08-17, 06:31
Hum... Could you try svn 9002 or tomorrow's nightly?

I think the problem is actually caused by entries which scroll - the server was not cancelling the scrolling correctly.
I think that you are on to something. This time I looked at which list item it locked on and it is always the first one that it encounters that is wider then the display and needs to scroll right to left through. That is why sometime it was the first button press and sometimes the 10th, it had to hit an entry that was wider then the display. I just noticed a related bug in that I was listening to SomaFM and the song titles were updating as normal until it hit a Artist-Song Title that was long and needed to scroll, at which point the Artis-Song Title info stopped updating. A quick "left" "right" navigation updated the display.

If you have introduced what you think is a fix for this I will update to the 8-18 nightly tomorrow.

Thanks for the quick response,

--Tom Malsbury

Triode
2006-08-17, 07:12
Yes just put in a fix to cancel scrolling it should be in server versions 9002 and later.

malsbury
2006-08-17, 14:19
Yes just put in a fix to cancel scrolling it should be in server versions 9002 and later.
I just tried version 9007 and it seems to be working as it should be. Navigation works as expected and Now Playing updates regardless of title length.

Thanks for the quick fix. I'll keep an eye on it and report back if I see similar behavior anywhere else.

--Tom Malsbury