View Full Version : Initial Problems
While waiting for my SB3 to arrive, I'm trying to set up Slimserver and I'm having a few problems. The first time I scanned my library everything worked fine. I then added some songs and tried to rescan... but nothing seemed to happen. It never seemed to add the new songs. So I broke down and decided to erase the library and rescan. But now I can never get anything to scan at all. I get the message that rescanning has begun but it continually shows 0 songs. Also, on my forst scan, when I went to the browsing screen I got messages that the scan wasn't finished. I no longer get any messages. How can I figure out if it's really scanning? How will I know when it's finished?
If I get this one answered, I'll move on to the new ones.
As a first step, try uninstalling slimserver and re-installing.
Don't ask why, just try it! :)
If it doesn't work, you'll need to let people know what version of slimserver you are using, what platform, whether itunes is involved...
I have the same problem..what I need to do is disable my Firewall then it rescans new music. If you have a Firewall you might want to try this.
Thanks to both of you. Having scoured the net, the thought of shutting off the firewall had already occurred to me. I checked the firewall exceptions and there were several related to the slimserver, so I figured that shouldn't be the problem. But that could have been false reliance. I'll try reinstalling first, because it's a simple alternative, and the scan worked the first time. If it turns out to be firewall related, however, should I worry that I have no firewall? Should I get a different one? Anybody have any advice?
Part of the problem undoubtedly comes from the fact the music is stored on a Maxtor shared storage device, and I have probably failed to tinker sufficiently with my network to make that a foolproof device to access. Unfortunately, my credentials as a fool are well established, so I'm not sure where to start, but that's another matter for another board...
No doubt everyone wants to know what happened...
I was insufficiently moved by the spirit of scientific inquiry to figure out what was wrong, so I simultaneously did four things:
1) I reinstalled Slimserver (thanks again ceejay)
2) I shut off the XP Firewall (thanks NY2006)
3) I renamed the workgroup for the Maxtor Shared Storage device (thanks Maxtor service tech)
4) I renamed the share device, replacing my z:\ link (that was my idea)
An hour and a half later, I had a fully populated database. I haven't tried rescanning yet, and I'm unwilling to go through all of this every time something doesn't seem to work, but I await my SB3 now with a bit more confidence.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.12 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.