PDA

View Full Version : Advice for amp + speakers

colin_young
2006-07-26, 09:15
I'm looking to install some in-wall speakers in my kitchen and an amp to drive them from a Squeezebox. I'm thinking of going with 6X9 3-way car audio speakers -- primarily because of price, although I'm considering "real" in-wall speakers also.

Can anyone suggest a good amp to go with this type of setup? Ideally, the amp could be installed somewhere inaccesible and permanently wired, or would be small enough that it would be invisible if mounted on the bottom of a kitchen cabinet. Also, a low price would be really good.

Thanks for suggestions (on the amp or any other aspects of the proposed setup).

Colin

mactavish
2006-07-26, 11:34
Check out the sonic T-amp, perfect for a single small room. Only 50 bucks approx (including the power) and it's small with a volume control.

Doesn't look like much but audiophiles love it. It runs cool so I'd guess it's good for inwall or tucked away. I use mine to power some outdoor speakers, provide just the right amount of volume and restricts me from "pi$$ing off the neighbours"

jonheal
2006-07-26, 12:15
I'm looking to install some in-wall speakers in my kitchen and an amp to drive them from a Squeezebox. I'm thinking of going with 6X9 3-way car audio speakers -- primarily because of price, although I'm considering "real" in-wall speakers also.

Can anyone suggest a good amp to go with this type of setup? Ideally, the amp could be installed somewhere inaccesible and permanently wired, or would be small enough that it would be invisible if mounted on the bottom of a kitchen cabinet. Also, a low price would be really good.

Thanks for suggestions (on the amp or any other aspects of the proposed setup).

Colin
Visit PartsExpress for a selection of reasonable in-wall speakers. They also sell the Sonic amp.

http://www.partsexpress.com/

colin_young
2006-07-26, 19:21
Thanks for the replies -- I found some amps recommended in another thread, but I couldn't find anyone selling them (and I suspect they're rather pricey). The Sonic looks like it will do the trick.

Skunk
2006-07-26, 19:42
The Sonic Impact works best with efficient 8 ohm speakers, as it's distortion rises tremendously over 1 watt of output- iirc.

Don't let that scare you off, it sounds really good with the right speakers. Your best bet is probably the in-walls at PE, like Jon said.