PDA

View Full Version : Aego M - noise when nothing playing/no signal??

Jimbob
2006-06-05, 11:02
Hiya,

Apologies for this not being explicitly SB related, but it is close :|

I got myself a set of Acoustic Energy Aego M speakers for use with an SB3, intending for it act as an alarm clock...

However, when there is no music playing, or even when no source is connected, I can hear a faint, but audible, hissing/buzz from the satelites.

I can't believe this is normal - especially at the low volume setting, anyone else noticed similar with theirs (Aego M's)?

Thanks
James

Mark Lanctot
2006-06-05, 14:48
The infamous ground loop.

I assume these are self-powered monitors? Try a power bar or a different outlet. Move the interconnects away from AC power cords. Test your outlet to make sure it has proper grounding.

Ground loops are the curse of audio equipment. Sometimes it's so hard to recify you just have to live with it.

radish
2006-06-05, 15:55
However, when there is no music playing, or even when no source is connected, I can hear a faint, but audible, hissing/buzz from the satelites.

Can you have a ground loop with only a power connection? I thought it occured when the two power connections (on the amp and the source) were at different potentials?

Mark Lanctot
2006-06-05, 16:30
Can you have a ground loop with only a power connection? I thought it occured when the two power connections (on the amp and the source) were at different potentials?

Hmm...that is true, but I have an old Altech Lansing ATP-3 that I connect the SB2 to that hums like a hive of angry bees.

It hums all on its own even when disconnected from the SB2.

I suspect something's failed in the power supply.