PDA

View Full Version : Radio URL's ??

larrycalta
2006-05-02, 14:33
URL Snooper and ReplayRadio/URL finder both indicate that the streaming URL for WDCB radio is:
mms://videosrv1.cod.edu/wdcb

This works fine when diectly input into Widows Media Player, but will not work with SB3. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have fought (and won) this battle with about 6 other radio stream URL's spending hours getting them to finally work. This relative 'unfriendliness' to getting one's favorite streaming radio station to work with SB has really turned off other users that I know. For them it is like stepping back from FM radio to Crystal sets. Wide acceptance will never happen until this changes. Any ideas on what it will take before we ever see greatly improved ease of use?

andyg
2006-05-02, 14:40
On May 2, 2006, at 5:33 PM, larrycalta wrote:

> mms://videosrv1.cod.edu/wdcb

This station doesn't support HTTP streaming, only the MMS protocol
which we don't have support for. I would suggest contacting the
station, explaining you are a behind an HTTP proxy server, and would
like them to enable HTTP streaming so you can listen. :) On their
end It's a simple checkbox within the Windows Media server software
to enable it.

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-02, 14:48
I have fought (and won) this battle with about 6 other radio stream URL's spending hours getting them to finally work. This relative 'unfriendliness' to getting one's favorite streaming radio station to work with SB has really turned off other users that I know. For them it is like stepping back from FM radio to Crystal sets. Wide acceptance will never happen until this changes. Any ideas on what it will take before we ever see greatly improved ease of use?

Don't blame Slim Devices for this, the radio stations want you on their website, seeing their advertising and playing it in their "custom" player. They are purposefully obscuring the URL and change it frequently.

They don't want you to do this and are trying their hardest to make it difficult for you.

larrycalta
2006-05-02, 15:31
Don't blame Slim Devices for this, the radio stations want you on their website, seeing their advertising and playing it in their "custom" player. They are purposefully obscuring the URL and change it frequently.

They don't want you to do this and are trying their hardest to make it difficult for you.

Mark

I wasn't blaming Slim Devices; they are a victim as much or more as we are as users with the situation I described. It is amazing what they have provided us with so far! I was just looking for some dialogue on what others thought needs to happen for things to improve. Your comment on advertising revenue is something I had not considered and is unfortunately probably correct. Greed and lack of standards may make this a very slow train indeed.

Larry

larrycalta
2006-05-02, 15:33
On May 2, 2006, at 5:33 PM, larrycalta wrote:

> mms://videosrv1.cod.edu/wdcb

This station doesn't support HTTP streaming, only the MMS protocol
which we don't have support for. I would suggest contacting the
station, explaining you are a behind an HTTP proxy server, and would
like them to enable HTTP streaming so you can listen. :) On their
end It's a simple checkbox within the Windows Media server software
to enable it.

Thanks - I'll give that a try. I'll let you know if I get a positive response from them.

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-02, 17:03
Mark

I wasn't blaming Slim Devices; they are a victim as much or more as we are as users with the situation I described. It is amazing what they have provided us with so far! I was just looking for some dialogue on what others thought needs to happen for things to improve. Your comment on advertising revenue is something I had not considered and is unfortunately probably correct. Greed and lack of standards may make this a very slow train indeed.

Larry

Sure thing, sorry if I came across as confrontational.

Just wait until DRM enters the picture, see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=23384