PDA

View Full Version : Wireless network problem.....

nicketynick
2006-04-25, 08:00
I'm running SS on a wireless WinXP laptop (I know, I know, its just stop-gap until I have enough confidence to jump into one of the NAS implementations), using SMCWCB-G adapter connecting to SMCWBR14g wireless router. Occasionally this connection just drops off (SB still connects to SqueezeNetwork without a hitch). I can't seem to find any way to re-connect it without restarting XP. As far as I can tell, Wireless Zero Configuration is disabled and the SMC is running the NIC, although I have 2 wireless icons in the System Tray (1 SMC, 1 XP?) Exiting and re-starting the SMC interface doesn't fix the connection, and I'm afraid to touch the XP interface because I don't want it taking over the control. I know this is way OT, but I've come to appreciate and trust a bunch of usual suspects here! (you know who you are :)-)! So, any suggestions for the rookie?
Thanks,
Nick

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-25, 11:53
I was experiencing the same thing. Updating my wireless driver and connection tool did the trick.

My problem was that connection was initially good, but constant activity needed to be maintained or it would seem like the server would stop responding to requests. You'd send a request and never get anything back. I had to disconnect and reconnect.

I didn't think this was caused by the wireless driver but by the AP/router since the worst culprits were "iHotel" wireless systems used in hotels. However this happened at home often enough to be a problem and updating the driver and connection tool eliminated the problem.

I'm not sure what to suggest if you've already updated the driver/connection tool.