PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver not counting correctly, HELP!

Jetlag
2005-12-17, 17:14
The situation: The only folder that I have Slimserver look at for music is located at J:\Music\_FLAC_DB. In this folder each CD is ripped to it's own folder, all tracks in FLAC format.

For example; The first CD (and consequently the first folder) is "AC-DC - Back In Black (1980)", and it is located at J:\Music\_FLAC_DB\AC-DC - Back In Black (1980). This folder ONLY contains the associated flac files from that CD (10 tracks), there are nothing BUT flac files in any of these folders.

The problem? I have 473 folders (CDs) in that directory, but when Slimserver scans my library, it comes up with 489 albums. ??????

I downloaded the latest daily and even deleted the old slimserversql.db file, but after a rescan get the exact same results.

This is causing me major brain coniptions, can anyone suggest a possible cause before one of my lobes explodes?

Thanks

snarlydwarf
2005-12-17, 17:20
Slimserver only uses folder names to distinguish albums from each other when it can't figure it out from tags.

Are the tags correct? (Case matters...) Are some of these double albums that are being counted as (Disc 1) and (Disc 2)? You can get around that with tags, too (though I don't know the tag names with FLAC.. with mp3 it's TPOS for 'part of set').

Jetlag
2005-12-17, 17:41
Each CD is in it's own folder, even those from boxed sets. Example, see SS1.jpg. Then the flac files in it (SS2.jpg).

I was thinking that perhaps a few of the CD titles (album titles) may have been screwed up in the tags, I guess I will have to do some digging to find the culprits. I have Rio Music Manager software, so it is easy to see what is in the tags in a spreadsheet-like format.

Time to start digging, sigh...

JJZolx
2005-12-17, 19:23
I was thinking that perhaps a few of the CD titles (album titles) may have been screwed up in the tags, I guess I will have to do some digging to find the culprits.
That's very likely the problem. It should be fairly obvious if you just go into Browse Albums in the web interface. You'll probably notice some typos or other variations on album names that make SlimServer think there are additional albums.

Jetlag
2005-12-17, 20:18
Yes, there were double entries, problem solved!

Most of the double entries were simple things like "with" vs. "With" in the album names. I have gone back and edited a few things over the months, I guess I need to become more diligent.

I used the Rio software (available free via download), and it works great for editing tags in a quasi-spreadsheet format. Makes mistakes or inconsistencies very easy to discern. By right clicking on a song, group of songs, album, or group of albums, a properties box pops-up allowing you to easily make permanent TAG changes. Easy and free!

Here is a partial screen shot:
http://home.earthlink.net/~timpics/images/SS3.jpg
(you may need to full screen your browser to read it)

Anyone know of any other free apps out there that might do an even better job of this?

Mark Lanctot
2005-12-17, 20:48
--- Jetlag
<Jetlag.207ujn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

> I used the Rio software (available free via
> download), and it works
> great for editing tags in a quasi-spreadsheet
> format. Makes mistakes
> or inconsistencies very easy to discern. By right
> clicking on a song,
> group of songs, album, or group of albums, a
> properties box pops-up
> allowing you to easily make permanent TAG changes.
> Easy and free!
>
> Here is a partial screen shot:
> [image:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~timpics/images/SS3.jpg]
> (you may need to full screen your browser to read
> it)
>
> Anyone know of any other free apps out there that
> might do an even
> better job of this?
>

Sure, Mp3tag, http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

It makes looking for inconsistencies easy because you
can sort by tag field. One click on the album name
field sorts them by album. That would make minor
inconsistencies stand out because they would be either
at the start or the end of the group.

And yes, minor inconsistencies do creep in all the time.

JJZolx
2005-12-17, 20:52
Most of the double entries were simple things like "with" vs. "With" in the album names.
I could have sworn stuff like that was made case-insensitive in SlimServer quite a while ago. For exactly this reason - so you don't end up with multiple albums or artists when your tags aren't perfect right down to the same capitalization.

Anyone know of any other free apps out there that might do an even better job of this?
Mp3tag is quite good. Makes it easy to apply a tag change to one, several, or all of the files in the view - changing an album name, or a release date, for instance. You can build tags from other tags, rename files based on tag data, or pull tag data from file names. And a lot more. Very powerful.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Jetlag
2005-12-18, 06:49
You may be right regarding case sensitivity. When I displayed the albums in Slimserver, the double entries looked identical (but the fonts are fairly small so possibly I just could not readily see the differences) but still showed up as 2 different CDs. When I displayed them in Rio they also appeared the same. However, when I selected all of the songs in one of the double-entry listings, the 'album title' field was blank, suggesting that there was a discrepancy. The one discrepancy I did see was the W vs. w, although it may have been spacing or something else. All fixed now. I will give MP3tag a try.