PDA

View Full Version : wired / wireless lan

Maditude
2005-10-02, 00:28
I've got a wired lan, that covers MOST of the entire house (two floors, plus basement).

Anyway, my wife wants to put a squeezebox in the kitchen, where running ethernet is a pretty much impossible.

I've got a wireless sb2 on order, but am wondering if I should get a wireless access point, or a wireless router, to hook everything up to the old (wired) LAN. From what I've seen, the routers tend to be a bit cheaper, though it's not a huge difference.

Is there a recommended way to go?

TIA,
Maditude

ceejay
2005-10-02, 01:15
If you've got a wired LAN, I guess you already have some kind of router between the LAN and the internet. If so, you don't need another one - so a simple Wirelass Access Point (WAP) is all you need. Plug it into your wired LAN at any convenient point and off you go.

A "Wireless Router" is actually two devices in one box - a router and a WAP. And the WAP ought to be cheaper - it was for me, last time I was looking.

Ceejay

Doug Carter
2005-10-02, 06:32
On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 01:15:49AM -0700, ceejay wrote:
> ...
> so a simple Wirelass Access Point (WAP) is all you need. Plug it into
> your wired LAN at any convenient point and off you go.
---end quoted text---

Its a good idea to set up WEP security on your access point (and SB2) so
that you don't wind up providing your neighbors Internet access :)

Doug Carter
2005-10-02, 07:47
> ...
---end quoted text---

max.spicer
2005-10-02, 08:48
If you've got it available, use WPA instead. WEP is quite insecure in comparison.

Max

> ...
---end quoted text---

radish
2005-10-02, 10:20
If a router is cheaper (as they often are, especially with rebates etc), buy that and just don't use the WAN port. I have done that several times with success.

Michaelwagner
2005-10-02, 17:58
Anyway, my wife wants to put a squeezebox in the kitchen, where running ethernet is a pretty much impossible.

Before you head down that route, why is ethernet impossible in the kitchen?

I would have thought the kitchen the easiest place (in most homes) to string wires - the walls are already swiss cheese, with numerous holes through the walls for water, drain, electrical, hot air ducts, home intercom, etc.

Michaelwagner
2005-10-02, 18:02
Something else to consider ... if any of your other squeezeboxen are wireless, you can use the squeezebox as a wireless bridge, it seems
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=16717
I don't know much about this, never tried it (none of mine are wireless) but it might be interesting to try.

Maditude
2005-10-03, 00:38
> Before you head down that route, why is ethernet impossible
> in the kitchen?

Because I'm not allowed to cut through sheetrock (for good reason, I'm not the handiest person).

Thanks to all for the comments in the thread...

Fifer
2005-10-03, 00:41
Something else to consider ... if any of your other squeezeboxen are wireless, you can use the squeezebox as a wireless bridge, it seems
SB2 only though.

Maditude
2005-10-10, 19:39
If a router is cheaper (as they often are, especially with rebates etc), buy that and just don't use the WAN port. I have done that several times with success.

Is there some sort of trick to this? I got it all working without too much trouble (WPA) and the wireless squeezebox was sounding and looking great.

Then, my daughter turned on her computer, and complained that she couldn't connect to the internet. After a little investigation, I notice that 192.168.1.1 (which should be my WIRED lan's router IP address) was now showing up with the name of the wifi router.

Looking at my 'bsd boxes logs, it seems there was a fight between my wired router and wifi router... (arp: 192.168.1.1 moved from MAC#1 to MAC#2 and back). I didn't try changing the wifi router's network, didn't see any obvious place to do so, but since the WAN port wasn't plugged into anything, it shouldn't have been an issue. right?

The new wifi router is a LinkSys WRTG54, and I would just replace my regular router (LinkSys BFRS11 or sumthin' like that), but the wireless signal isn't traveling very well between the basement and the kitchen upstairs.

Michaelwagner
2005-10-10, 20:09
I suspect they're both trying to be the DHCP host.

Tell one of them (pref. the one without the WAN connection) to stop.

I think that should do it.

Bill Burns
2005-10-10, 20:27
Maditude wrote:
> radish Wrote:
>> If a router is cheaper (as they often are, especially with rebates etc),
>> buy that and just don't use the WAN port. I have done that several times
>> with success.
>
> Is there some sort of trick to this? I got it all working without too
> much trouble (WPA) and the wireless squeezebox was sounding and looking
> great.
>
> Then, my daughter turned on her computer, and complained that she
> couldn't connect to the internet. After a little investigation, I
> notice that 192.168.1.1 (which should be my WIRED lan's router IP
> address) was now showing up with the name of the wifi router.

Change the LAN IP address of the wireless router to 192.168.1.2 and turn
off its DHCP server.

--
Bill Burns
Long Island NY USA
mailto:billb (AT) ftldesign (DOT) com

Maditude
2005-10-10, 21:47
> Change the LAN IP address of the wireless router to 192.168.1.2
> and turn off its DHCP server.

That did it, thanks much!